Whatcha Cookin?

I did not cook today… instead… went to a new restaurant here, crab de jour…

7 Likes

Damn that looks good. WHEW, pretty close call there, looks like they almost got Old Bay in the Tabasco !!!

3 Likes

I’ve got Beef Brisket and Pork Ribs to smoke for Sunday’s dinner.

Might try some cornbread if I can find a recipe that appeals, never tried it and my brother @Fiddy was talking it up :drooling_face:

5 Likes

Here’s a decent enough recipe. I would suggest cooking it in a well seasoned/greased cast iron pan. If you have a large pan, maybe double up on the recipe. And if you do this, cook at 425F (218C) till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

One of the best parts of cornbread cooked this way is it will form a wonderful crust where it touches the cast iron. This is especially delightful if using copious amounts of animal fat to season the pan with prior to pouring your batter. Bacon grease, tallow or even unsalted butter are great for that.

Here in the Southeastern US, we all have our favorite way of cooking certain things, and thinking them superior to all others. This includes biscuits, barbecue, and yes…cornbread.

4 Likes

Even better, I didn’t know my brother was off, he’s cooking.
But it doesn’t look like you can get cornmeal much here. I’ve found Polenta which I think is the same, but I can’t tell if it’s self raising or plain.
Looks like I’ll go Aussie and make Damper with the Smoked Brisket.

4 Likes

That’s IT. I’m coming over @marsh8 !!!

3 Likes

Fire up your Leahjet :rofl::rofl: There is always plenty when a Marshall cooks and all are welcome. Except don’t pick up that @FlavorChaser she might eat all my raspberry Tim Tams. :joy::joy:

Last nights smoke brisket had a twist, he cooked it with Pineapple and oh boy was it good :drooling_face:

4 Likes

Can only do that if you send me some dammit… Stop hoarding them… :joy:

5 Likes

I looked it up yesterday when I was being a smart arse. The bastards want a minimum of $50 to ship to your parts. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I know… It’s highway robbery

5 Likes

How did that turn out? And what kind of wood does an Aussie use to smoke ribs and a brisket?

5 Likes

Oh it was great! :drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face: must have been I came straight in and ate the leftovers cold when I got home from work.

Hickory soaked it in cheap wine.
As always this brother had a twist and cooked the pineapple in the tray with the brisket. I thought he was going to grill it separate. This gave a wonderful kick of flavour that I wouldn’t have thought about.

5 Likes

That’s awesome. So glad to hear of others enjoying smoked meats!!

Oh, and the pineapple perhaps did more than add flavor. Apparently the enzymes in pineapple will break down the fibers of red meat. Might want to research that a bit.

Wife’s birthday is Sunday. I finally procured all the ingredients to make her this dish. So looking forward to this one!!!

6 Likes

Finally. This is the warmest day we’ve had in a while so the smoker started calling my name around 10 am today. Rather than plan ahead for a long cook tomorrow, I just went ahead and did it. Simple pork shoulder -

I don’t regret it. So moist and tender, and perfectly smoked. Tomorrow I’ll use some in a batch of baked beans. Lovin it!!

6 Likes

Oh you can keep posting recipes, this looks great. Already looking for where I can get some lobster from today.
I’ve always liked Mac n Cheese but never thought of it with seafood.

Loving the smoked meats, already thinking of what I can do this weekend :drooling_face:

3 Likes

Oh my gosh… hot diggity… save me a plate, @SthrnMixer hahaha!!!
that does look good… will have to see if I can do it too… but…
I love love crabs… if I can grab a half a bushel or even a whole one… mhmm… :smiley:
Game on! :rofl:

I am beginning to think this thread is bad for my health… or wallet!!
or maybe I am just starving… either way… bad bad!!! :smiley:

3 Likes

Glad to. So I said today I will be making baked beans. I’m doing a variation of this recipe-

I do a couple things different. First I like to sub half the brown sugar with molasses. Malcom uses 1 tbsp of yellow mustard, and I use about 3. I also add some finely chopped chipotle peppers with adobo - say around 1 tbsp is all, otherwise it brings far too much heat. Then I’ll either use smoked paprika if I have it (couple tbsp), or a a bit more of the bark from the pulled pork to try and infuse as much smoky flavor as possible. As for the bbq rub - pretty much any semi-sweet rub suitable for pork will work. If the rub has a smoky flavor, then I’d skip the previous modification.

These beans may look innocent enough, but they will get you high praise. Effing tasty.

6 Likes

Ok but not beans. :rofl: Never been a fan. But I’ve never had them cooked like that only tinned when I was younger.

2 Likes

I guess beans aren’t for everyone. My youngest son is 26 - he’s hated beans his entire life. But he inhales these. Just sayin.

4 Likes

I’m sure these are nothing like what I’ve had before and there’s more than a chance I’d scoff them. I know my brother would, he’s tries to sneak in beans when he cooks Mexican.

Finally Friday and time to look what to cook this weekend. :drooling_face:

4 Likes