Whatcha Cookin?

Hey there VC Family.

How’s about we share more than liquid flavors, eh? The older I get the more enjoyable cooking has become. But I’m no chef! Thanks to YouTube, however, I’ve managed to tile floors, change headlamps in my son’s Mazda, and yes, cook up a few things.

This month my wife and I are each cooking one thing each week that we’ve never cooked before. I went first, and did a copycat recipe for the Taco Bell Enchirito. That was always her favorite but it’s been discontinued. Gotta say, it was real close.

Last week she made Tuscan Chicken for me. And it was out of this world.

Tonight I’m making Steak Diane. There are quite a few recipes available on YT, but I chose the one from Food Wishes. Here’s what’s up -

I also got into baking breads a few years back, and of course there’s always that thing I do with the wood and smoke :wink: But really, food is a universal language. I’d love to hear from this fine and diverse community. What you got going in that kitchen of yours?

14 Likes

That looks so good!

I’d like to come across as posh but it’s a greasy English fry-up right now, I would post a pic but it’s now in my belly.

…wanders off burping!

8 Likes

Here is a pavlova i made for Halloween, i shaped it kinda like a skull and used blackberries for the eyes and smile (kids at the party, needed to look happy lol). I also made sugar glass and then stabbed it into the skull lol, what you cant see is the lemon curd and raspberries under the whipped cream;)
Edit: forgot the corn syrup, corn starch, and food coloring for the blood lol

11 Likes

One more, lunch meat sandwich on homemade bread with homemade kimchi, and a ball of dough finishing up the rise:) oh, and cinnarolls:)

10 Likes

Hehe, you’re killing me @Fishaddict420, looks delish !!!

7 Likes

We got ourselves a chef ^^^^!!

This is a PAIN IN THE ASS to make. But probably my favorite meal I have ever made. Not my pic, but mine looked like this.

83e02739e711a446c9b2e84687266eeb
Seafood Enchiladas

• 6 tablespoons butter
  • 1⁄2 cup flour
  • 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
  • 2 tablespoons lobster base
  • 3 1⁄2 cups 2% low-fat milk
  • 1 cup white wine or 1 cup cooking sherry
  • 8 ounces monterey jack cheese (shredded)
  • 1 (4 ounce) can baby shrimp
  • 2 (8 ounce) packages imitation crabmeat, flake style
  • 10 (6 inch) Mission brand flour tortillas
  • paprika

FOR THE SAUCE:

1. Melt butter in a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat.
  2. Add flour.
  3. Cook and stir for 5 minutes(should have a nutty aroma).
  4. Add 1/2 tsp white pepper.
  5. Stir in 2 tbsps lobster base and cook for an additional minute.
  6. Add milk & wine.
  7. Add 2 oz. of the cheese.
  8. Continue to cook until thickened.

FOR THE CRAB MIX:

1. Lightly chop the flaked imitation crab.
  2. Combine with shrimp in a medium size bowl.
  3. Add 1.5 cups of cold sauce.
  4. Mix well.

FOR THE ENCHILADAS:

1. Lay out the tortillas on a flat surface.
  2. Place 2 to 3 heaping tablespoons of the crab mix across the center of each tortilla.
  3. Place flap of the tortilla over the crab mix and roll.
  4. Place flap side down onto a plate or in your baking dish.
  5. Ladle warm sauce over the enchiladas.
  6. Top with remaining monterey jack cheese.
  7. Put into a preheated 425 degree convection oven for 12-14 minutes. In a conventional oven you may want to microwave on high for a minute or 2 before placing in the oven.
  8. Watch and do not allow to burn (brown spots).
  9. Sprinkle with paprika.

Add to that a corncake:
1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
1 egg
1 can creamed corn (I make my own)
3 TBSP Butter
1/2 cup brown sugar

Bake in a water bath.

Add to that a side of Spanish rice and enjoy. Damn it is so good!

For super soft tortillas… make your own lol. Or, moisten the store bought tortillas and pop in the microwave for 20 seconds.

11 Likes

Mine didn’t end up looking exactly like that. I didn’t put chives on top or dress the plate with any artsy fartsy veggie sculpture. Nope, but the steak done precisely by the recipe and had grilled, bacon wrapped asparaus on the side. A little uppity rednecky dinner. It was spectacular! That Steak Diane is surprisingly easy to make, but OMG, the gravy is sooooo good. Glad I found the scallions. Around here it’s hit or miss with those. I highly recommend this recipe.

That’s just cool!

OMG! That looks amazing.

I can already tell, this thread is going to be one I’ll refer back to again and again!

7 Likes

If you ever make them, if you use the cooking sherry… ya might dial that back a bit. White wine is best.

6 Likes

Next time you make those cinnamon rolls, use the Vegemite and some sharp cheddar instead of the cinnamon and sugar :wink: Gawd those were tasty.

Oh, and crispy bacon bits!

8 Likes
6 Likes

Oh dayum. I’m trying that shit! @SthrnMixer

4 Likes

Rocky Burger! :tada:

8 Likes

Golden Oreo based cheesecake with butterscotch sauce. Breakfast of course.

12 Likes

Here we go again. The day has barely started and I’m already looking at the points of my shoes :blush:

I’m a lazy mixer, when I see more than 3 flavours in a recipe I sort of go :cold_sweat:
Now I’m faced with a bunch of guys posting recipes.
There’s no emoji around that can express what I’m feeling now.

I pat myself on the shoulder when I manage to fix some toast. Double pats for not burning it.

I’m not too bad with one pan dishes. You know, just throw some stuff together and hope for the best :sweat_smile:

It’s a pity the post is so fucking slow, you lot could all sent me some samples of your creations.
I need to put on some weight again, winter is coming.

6 Likes
5 Likes

It’s chili weather. So everyone share your chili recipes! Mine is never exactly the same. So many iterations.

1lb ground beef
1/2 lb Chorizo
1 red bell pepper sliced in strips and coarsly
chopped.
2 small yellow onions coarsly chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp red chili flakes
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 Tbsp sugar
2 cans Hunts Fire Roasted diced tomatos
2 cans Bush’s black beans
1 cans Bush’s red kidney beans
1 cans Bush’s pinto beans
Salt and pepper to taste

Condiments:
Sour cream
Shredded Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese
Freetos chili cheese corn chips or Doritos

Lightly brown hamburger and chorizo with galic, onions and bell peppers. Add spices. Then into the crock pot it goes, along with beans and tomatos. On the spices, that is just a rough guess. I don’t really measure anything (will try tonight). Cook low and slow in crock pot for 4-6 hours. It is obviously better the next day :wink:

Add a spoon of sour cream, stir in. Top with crumbled chips and cheese.

I have also made a creamy sweet corn cake to use in place of the chips. This is really good if the chili is really spicy!

11 Likes

I’ve made chili a number of ways. Here’s my favorite.

Typically I’ll use a couple pounds of brisket flat after smoking a full packer brisket. Either make it right away or vacuum seal and freeze for later use. I have cooked it with chuck many times as well, just that I prefer the brisket.

In the video he says to use a pound of breakfast sausage. I use Jimmy Dean Hot. Also, I do cook this on my smoker in a cast iron Dutch oven. However, I stir it every 30 minutes from start to finish so as to impart as much smoke flavor as possible. In the winter I also like to smoke cheese. Some smoke cheddar or gouda makes an awesome garnish for this.

9 Likes

Funny you should say that ‘cause that’s what we having tonight. yeah,

Similar recipe but no Chorizo (sounds good, try that next time) ground beef and ground chicken here, also gotta have some chopped celery in there :yum:

6 Likes

I vary the meat from time to time too. Never tried brisket though. Might have to give that a go.

6 Likes

I’m at the mercy of Mrs Rocky, I’m not allowed to make chili anymore because she has acid reflux :frowning: (I can eat anything) bummer

5 Likes