Whatcha Cookin?

Tonight’s dinner, with recipe and pictures cause i made it up lol, i call it farm chowder.

Start with 2 shallots(or one medium onion, or a head or two of garlic), take about 3T off a stick of butter and melt it in the bottom of a soup pot, and slice your shallots thin and fry them soft

While they are cooking slice up 2 smoked sausages(or bacon, or ham, or andouille, etc.) and sizzle them with the shallots, then add 6 diced potatoes and 3-4 cups water(or broth)

Cook on high till it boils then reduce to medium and cook 10-20 minutes till potatoes are soft, then add milk(or cream, or half n half) in equal to the water you added.

While that is warming back up take the leftover 5T of butter from the stick and melt it in the microwave, then whisk in 4T of flour till smooth and microwave for 30 more seconds

When the chowder starts to bubble add in the butter/flour mix and stir constantly until it’s bubbling a little and feels thicker, then shut off the heat and stir till it isn’t bubbling anymore. When bubbling stops, add cheese and stir until melted and smooth, then serve!

Or don’t add cheese lol or you can add clams when you add in milk for a new england clam chowder style thing, or add in anything else that might sound good at the time lol it’s infinitely variable…

Edit: the cheese is variable too, gruyere would be fantastic, as would smoked gouda…

10 Likes

Looks Yummy @Fishaddict420, bookmarked, definitely gonna steal that recipe :wink: I got some Polish smoked sausage and gonna do it with clams and light cream :ok_hand:

8 Likes

Shrimp boil. Seems, like BBQ, everyone has their own take on it. Here in SC, we call it Frogmore Stew.

Stock pot - 2-1/2 gallons water
Add 1 cup of Old Bay seasoning - bring to a boil
Add 3 lbs of red potatoes - boil 10 mins
Add 3 lbs of smoked sausage. I like Roger Woods Spicy Hot Lumber Jacks.
Add 12 half ears corn - boil 10 mins
Add 3 lbs of jumbo shrimp - boil 3 minutes. Immediately drain and spread on a newspaper-lined table or counter. Allows cooking to stop so you don’t end up with rubbery shrimp.
Serve with butter for potatoes and corn. Dig in!

Then I made a Key Lime pie. This time I made a crust using gingersnaps instead of graham crackers. It was THE BOMB!

11 Likes

Well, that sausage isn’t available anywhere near me. Looks yummy though.

7 Likes

It’s a Southern thang.

Really, any good smoked sausage will do. I happen to like the spicier ones but have had this made by other people using mild sausage and it was still awesome. Also had it with Andouille. This time of year you might even find someone who makes a good venison sausage :wink:

I do think you just want to be sure you’re using sausage with a natural casing though. But fat content isn’t that important as you drain off the stock water at the end, and with it the extracted fats.

Dude, this is such an easy recipe. If you keep up with the boiling times you literally cannot mess it up.

5 Likes

I saw some at wallmart but I keep a few links in my freezer… excellent for some chicken bog… mmmm… and that is exactly how you do it… Obay and al :angel: :rofl: :beers:

4 Likes

Bouya :tada: thats how you take a recipe from “ The Apprentice” category to the Professional level :yum:

3 Likes

Simple keto chicken Alfredo dish later tonight as the temp is supposed to get to 35°C+ (95°F+ ) today.

I love the warm weather but never feel like cooking much when it’s here… :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Got this one on the stove right now. OMG, the smell is amazing.

I didn’t have any of the Red River Ranch seasoning, so I’m using Tony Chachere’s instead. Very fine Cajun flavor that stuff.

6 Likes

I’ve always loved biscuits (American) but my making them has been too often a crap shoot. Sometimes great, other times…meh.

I found this recipe on YT and tried it. Not only is it simple as hell, but very repeatable. Made a couple of batches and they’ve turned out perfect. What I will say is rather than grating the butter onto parchment, I just put the flour into a mixing bowl and grated the butter right into that. Easy peasy. Here’s what mine looked like -

And here’s the recipe video -

10 Likes

Amen, my wife makes some great biscuits with sausage gravy and a fried egg on top, I’ll have to post up a pic next time, but I think the biscuit recipe is a passed down family secret :man_shrugging: but I’ll try and score it :ok_hand:

6 Likes

I make at the minimum a batch of those a week, Same basic recipe Mine is 3 cups White Lilly, 3/4 cup of butter and enough buttermilk to make a sticky dough. SImple is always the best.

5 Likes

Nice Lookin’ there @SthrnMixer.

5 Likes

Thank me later.

Homemade Sour Cream (Creme Fraiche)

Clean and sterilize a 1 qt jar and lid
Add to the jar 1 pint of heavy whipping cream
Stir in 2 tbsp cultured buttermilk. Make sure it’s cultured.
Cover with a paper towel and let sit on your countertop for 24 hrs.
After 24 hrs, stir and put the lid on the jar. Place in fridge. It’s ready in 24 hrs.
Will keep for about 2 weeks.

You’re welcome. Oh, and if you’ve only ever had store bought sour cream, then you’ve likely never tasted anything so good :wink:

4 Likes

Not what I cooked my bro’s a chef
Pickle Cupcakes
Serving these tonight…thought they were interesting

4 Likes

I just checked the website for Hop and Pickle

Oh yeah, my kind of place. I’d start with the Barra and Blue Swimmer Crab Fish Cakes, grab one of the Pork Belly Burgers, and wash it down with a hoppy IPA. MMMMMMMMmmmm.

4 Likes

Oh you’ve picked his best for sure! He doesn’t cook at home much, surprise, surprise. But these are the sort of things I get him to cook when I can con him. :laughing: mmmm Pork Belly!

4 Likes

Indeed!!

Here’s one to share with dear brother. In fact, tell him some strange American dude said he should put this on his menu for “One Night Only” and see what happens.

5 Likes

What are your pigs on there steroids :rofl: I don’t recall seeing pork belly that thick here. We are getting ripped off. I will need to speak to the local butcher.
I’ll be placing my order for the weekend, very hungry now but haven’t finished work yet.

4 Likes

Maybe what you’re calling pork belly there is what we call bacon here?

5 Likes