Whatcha Cookin?

I think I may have just been really hungry when I watched the video, my eyes got big :sunglasses:

Since I’ve spoken to my brother and he’s got a supplier, can bring me one home for… $80. He didn’t say how many kg though.

Might need to get me a smoker too, I cook on BBQ all the time and tried smoking a few times in it.

4 Likes

Broccoli Casserole!! Caution… lots of pictures… :slight_smile:

Contine layers of vegies, onions, peppers if you have them, you can even toss in carrots, celery and other veggies… layer them with the onions and bacon!! Cook @350 degrees (F) till soft…

Then add:
1/4 block of cream cheese
1/4 cup of shredded cheese, any flavor… I love smoked aged cheese the best… in a pinch… extra sharp cheddar cheese will work.
1 sleeve ritz crackers

Using a potato masher, smash and mix everything up…

download

Next, smooth off the top, add more cracker crumbs, cheeses and of course, Bacon!!
Pop back in the oven and cook till the bacon looks crispy…

I hope someone will try this out… it’s been in the family here for many years… :slight_smile:

Top with more cr

6 Likes

I’m not only liking the look of that dish @SmokyBlue, but loving the new camera !!!

4 Likes

It makes a difference, eh??
I do too!!
Who knows… I might start a little something something :stuck_out_tongue:

Try out the recipe, Sd… ya know you want to :rofl:

4 Likes

Well fuck, I don’t think I’ve EVER turned down any recipe, with Bacon !!!

It looks really good Smoky.

5 Likes

Thanks Sd :smiley:
and now… dinner is done! thank goodness as I am starving!! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Made these last night, Tim Tam base, chocolate ganache tart with raspberries and whipped cream next time I would make them 2 inch. These were a bit too much :grinning:
It got to late to smoke the Pork Belly yesterday, just put them in now. Can’t wait for dinner… :drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face: Got some cherry, haven’t smoked with that before.

7 Likes

You will LOVE it. Just remember with the pork belly, if following Malcolm Reed’s recipe, the braising process is pretty important. Tenderizing and fat rendering are the goal. There will be plenty of visible fat left when done, but it will be like butter…definitely not off-putting. I can’t wait for you to try this!!

5 Likes

Sort of…I tend to adapt cooking recipes as well. I did find some nice thick cut pork belly. Just went back and watched again, oh boy I can’t wait

4 Likes

Well these turned out great! A little sweeter than how I normally cook but still scoffed them down. Mum n Dad loved them too, none left so I take it the chef like them.
Improvised when I couldn’t find apple jelly, added fresh apple n dried cranberries.

5 Likes

You can never get better confirmation than that!! Well done my friend.

Ok, here in the US, today is the “Big Game.” It’s Super Bowl Sunday, and what do we Americans do for game day? Why, chicken wings of course.

I followed this recipe for the most part…

Ok, I followed it 90ish percent. The finishing sauce he uses 3 tbsp of Cayenne powder. I cut that to 2, which for me ended up perfect. But Mrs Mixer is yet to eat, and I don’t know what she’ll think. I would guess she’ll smile, say “whew” a few times then go back for seconds. This is a delicious way to make chicken. I want to do this with boneless breast and make a sandwich out of it. Next time.

4 Likes

Why, you seem to know just what I need to eat…I’ll make these through the week. Maybe not with 3 tbsp of Cayenne, plus the hot sauce in the milk and egg. That would be damn spicy. :japanese_ogre:
I’ve always made fried chicken with flour, egg then bread crumbs. Liked the idea of adding a little of the liquid to the flour for extra crunch.

The pork belly must have been good my brother was telling mum about them today. The whole place still smells like smoke. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Actually, I don’t know if it’s the buttermilk that calms down the spice from the hot sauce, but that heat doesn’t really penetrate the chicken. I started using this same bath for chicken a few months ago, following a Paula Deen recipe. The exact amounts I use are 2-1/2 cups buttermilk, 2 eggs and 1/4 cup hot sauce. I use Frank’s Red Hot which is a good bit milder than say Tobasco or Texas Pete which I’m also familiar with. I would say a hot sauce that would flame you up with 1 drop on the tongue would not be good thing to use. Unless you’re just into pain :wink:

3 Likes

@marsh8 grab some Bunsters it is not very hot I promise

and-the-lie-detector-determined-thats-a-lie

4 Likes

I found this, never seen it before.

Not sure if I trust this bloke :rofl: he might be trying to tear me a new arsehole :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I wouldn’t. I have photos of him French kissing a full grown dragon. Dude’s nuckin futs.

5 Likes

I’m warming up the lentil soup I got from my neighbours yesterday :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I made the chicken the other night, no pics I ate it too quick! :drooling_face:
Wow! The buttermilk made a massive difference, I’d only ever used normal milk.

4 Likes

As Americans, we don’t hold the world’s highest obesity rate for no reason. :wink:

Glad you liked it.

4 Likes

This looks the goods, think I might make it this weekend, only question…Do I start baking at midnight? :crazy_face:

3 Likes