Watch your GeekVape G-Box Squonker. Dangerous failure mode!

Are you talking about the big bottle to refill from the 510? What modification with super glue and magnets? Please share.

3 Likes

Oh, Iā€™ll have to find the write up. Basically, you remove the 4 little allen screws that hold the bottle cover to the rest of the body, and replace them with magnets. Then you just pop that on and off instead of opening the door.

Doesnā€™t help much with the stock bottle setup though. But it allowed me to remove the DIY silicone bottle and refill that rather than via 510, which I hate.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know if crosslinks are allowed, but you can see about it here.

3 Likes

Links to bottles etc are here as well

4 Likes

Thank you @anon96380778 and @woftam , I love reading stuff like that. If Ogreā€™s experience didnā€™t call into question the safety issue, I would be all over that, especially as cheap as you can get the G-Box now.

4 Likes

Ya hopefully he can get to the root of the problem - mine has been trouble free but i donā€™t use it that often.

3 Likes

I just hope they address it. Nobody involved needs to have a catastrophic outcome and unfortunately the potential exists. I donā€™t understand folks that donā€™t report things of this nature. Doesnā€™t make sense to me.

6 Likes

As you mentioned earlier, without documentation I doubt I could fix it and even if I did, I canā€™t run a worst out study on the design to see of the failed component is under-specified or if there is a potential of tolerance stacking, or on and on, yada, yada. Itā€™s one thing if a mod wonā€™t fire but when a mod becomes an inferno itā€™s a whole different situation.

6 Likes

Not just under-specced, but inferior quality!
Iā€™ve been wracking my mind about the whole strange set of circumstances and I keep coming up with the same two answers.

Experience tells me itā€™s most likely to be a shorted capacitor. But given the rampant shoddy programming (or implementation) of shit firmwareā€¦ Combined with poor quality control on some of the chipsets weā€™ve seenā€¦ Itā€™s hard to say with any certainty.

But ā€œgun to headā€, my money would be on a shorted cap. Itā€™s long been preferred in guitar effects building circles that Japanese caps are much higher quality than the majority of most Chinese offerings (though thatā€™s in relation to standard aluminum can type, vs SMT type). Given that the quality control isnā€™t likely to be any different just because of a change in type, leads me to believe itā€™s likely no different.

At any rate, without schematics, it would get long and tedious trying to test each and every cap on the board.

Most importantly though, we have a heads up from someone with enough experience to trust it not being foolish user error. (Not that even the experienced canā€™t make a mistake once in a while, but moreover, itā€™s far less likely to miss something obvious anyways!) :wink:

Thanks again for the heads up, and interested in hearing how it comes out!

4 Likes

I was hoping you would chime in. Iā€™m gonna bet on your assessment. So far just scripted replies out of China. Not looking good for GeekVape at the moment.

4 Likes

This is probably the main reason my antennas are up as well. It is the Ogre, after all. The man (oops, Ogre) that puts an o-scope on his electric can opener to make sure it is functioning within tolerances. He knows what he is doing.

6 Likes

My meat grinder too.

8 Likes

Iā€™m actually not going to be using my GBOXā€™s anymore. The risk is not worth it to me. Theyā€™ve been shelved for a while now anyway. Fortunately it is not my only or daily driver setup.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s cool. I really have no perspective on how great the risk is. Probability of failure seems to be pretty low per the small number of cases known however the violent nature of the failure mode obviously effects the perception. I am going to continue to use my second one but only under close supervision, lol.

5 Likes

Worst comes to worst, just use it as a hand grenade. Push in the battery door and throw it.

4 Likes

That should be a tagline on a review! Brilliant.

Really, about not using it- There is far too much vape gear on the market to abide babysitting any device. If I have to remove the cells when not in use, or be concerned that it may auto-fire at any given moment, then itā€™s Sayonara mod time.

6 Likes

:rofl: Back off! I have a G Box!!!

7 Likes

4 Likes

That is soooooooo tempting! That could just end up on a video depending on the ultimate response I get from GeekVape. Soooooo Tempting!

5 Likes

OgreVision

Ogre Commentary:

This is where language barriers are very cumbersome. It seems unfortunate that such barriers still exist. I believe GeekVape is trying. They have asked me to send them pictures regardless of itā€™s current configuration assembled or no for their engineers to review. This was an uphill journey. I felt like I had to use sentences such as:

It no worky now.
Mod no together. All in pieces. Many parts.
I no can show video of how fails.

Funny as it may seem I can now fully understand how even space projects get hampered by such things as one side of the world measuring with english measurements and the other half thinking they were done in metric.

7 Likes