Watch your GeekVape G-Box Squonker. Dangerous failure mode!

This morning I went to refill the bottle in one of my G-Box squonkers. Pulled the bottle only, filled it, and replaced it. When I closed the battery/bottle door I gave it a firm push to ensure it was latched and the device started constantly firing. The control PCB was not turned on. I removed the batteries, let the unit cool and replaced them. Again continuous firing. I fully disassembled the device and found no signs of faulty components or wiring. I have sent emails to both GeekVape US and China.

Obviously this is a potentially hazardous failure mode that could cause damage to users and property. The firing was intense and heated the entire upper portion of the unit rapidly.

8 Likes

Sparky will undoubtedly weigh in soon enough, but based on what I’ve seen with the GBOX, I’m going to go with some sort of juice intrusion as suspect one. Doubt you’ll get a lot of help from GV.

6 Likes

Good guess but there was no moisture whatsoever inside the unit.

5 Likes

How far did you break it down? No contradiction implied here, but juice wicks very thin and deep, easily can sneek under a chip or microswitch.

4 Likes

All good. Took it down completely. Removed the PCB from the frame as well so I could inspect both surfaces of the PCB.

5 Likes

Speaking of which, is the fire button possibly collapsed?

4 Likes

Another good guess, but checked that. Fire button seems fine.

4 Likes

Fuggit then. Into the bin it goes! :sunglasses:

Kidding. Maybe the spring cups got shoved together when you pushed up hard.

3 Likes

Pretty much. I’m gonna keep the parts in a box for a bit to see if GeekVape asks for it for them to inspect. I doubt that they will but I gave them the opportunity.

6 Likes

Except for the battery cups, anyway. Mine had a broken solder at a cup that I had to fix. Maybe something got pushed together.

3 Likes

Exactly, if it was a component, it showed no visible signs of failure. Sorry @anon96380778, checked that too. Was one of my first thoughts. In this unit they are well isolated in space and were as they should be.

4 Likes

Dammit, I wanna solve something. Anyway, when I push up hard on the battery door on mine, it turns off, which is why I went there.

4 Likes

Hey, try different cells maybe?

3 Likes

Fizzy! OMG! I’ll send it to you if Geekvape doesn’t want it, lol. BTW, the turn off from the door isn’t too cool either. Weird scenes in the gold mine!!!

7 Likes

I guess I’m out of ideas. I think I’ll call a dog groomer and try to feel better.

4 Likes

She better the hell just leave those clippers in her bag. Inside joke sorta, sorry.

4 Likes

Always gotta watch those Sunday the 15th’s!

4 Likes

I got to borrow a G-Box for a day and the main reason I didn’t buy one was because of the shared door. It just didn’t make any sense to me. I can refill a bottle a number of times before the batteries need to be changed and I didn’t like having to deal with batteries every time I filled the bottle. Just seems like unnecessary wear to the contacts, hinge and all the other components in the battery compartment.

I noticed at least two local retailers dropped them from their product line rather quickly. Must have been a reason, but I think they sold ok.

4 Likes

There is a second reported case of this failure mode now on another forum. I’m stumped as to the cause of the failure. My second one is sitting here with 568 puffs on a set of batteries. That’s amazing to me. I really don’t have issues with the mod but this failure mode is unsafe.

5 Likes

I’m sure with Ogre’s discovery it is moot now, but the silicone replacement fill system takes care of the need to open the battery door. A little Cyanoacrylate, a few magnets, and the door can be left alone. I did it; anyone can.

4 Likes