Vaping 95% safer - Misquote

Some of you would have read the title and said WTF.

Here are the guts of it vaping is NOT 95% safer according to the Royal College of Physicians. If you actually read what they said the figure is a whole lot different.

Their words

However, the hazard to health arising from long-term vapour inhalation from the e-cigarettes available today is unlikely to exceed 5% of the harm from smoking tobacco .

This is the original report and where the bad maths has crept in 5% of the harm doesn’t mean 95% safer.

Splitting hairs I hear you say well it is a big a hair to split because if you do the maths 5% of the harm means a whopping up to 2000% safer. While 95% safer is a big number when talking about risk reduction up to 2000% safer is far harder to ignore.

9 Likes

This reminds me of something I read not long ago where the author demonstrated how doctors don’t understand and/or manipulate statistics. The article was about statins where heart doctors were claiming 100% difference in heart related deaths. This is based on two groups ; one that took the meds and another that discontinued their use. The group that went off statin medications had 2 deaths over the study period. The group that stayed on them had one death.

These brilliant doctors concluded that therefor discontinuing increased the patients risk of death 100% over continuing the prescribed dosage…along with the horrendous side effects these fuckers prescribe more medications for.

Duh. Nope. Not. Even. Close. :anguished: There were hundreds of patients in the study.

7 Likes

Which may mean 4% or 2%. That puts the actual figures at an even more impressive percentage. I am not going to do the math because math makes my head hurt.

7 Likes

So I skimmed through the whole study. The full quote which is from the summary of section 5.5 is:

“Although it is not possible to precisely quantify the long-term health risks associated with e-cigarettes, the available data suggest that they are unlikely to exceed 5% of those associated with smoked tobacco products, and may well be substantially lower than this figure.” (emphasis mine)

I also found interesting section 4.6 which reinforces my belief that it is added substances to cigarette tobacco that cause most of the addiction aspect of smoking.

7 Likes