Vape Mail! 2018

Nummy, Sparky? :rofl:

4 Likes

Yes. Nummy, Phil. :stuck_out_tongue: lol

5 Likes

Canā€™t give you too much shit. Iā€™m often guilty of really silly phraseology myself. Maybe not on an all adult forum, but stillā€¦ :grimacing:

5 Likes

I have to balance my tendency towards highly technical somehowā€¦ chuckles
And sometimes itā€™s nice just to be ā€œlight and whimsicalā€ with the slightest air of ā€œI just donā€™t give a fuckā€ (because ā€œI care all too muchā€ the majority of the time. Or so it seems). :wink:

5 Likes

Balance, the key to life. I guess you have to find the line between writing a technical manual and ripping off some Suessian banter wherever you can. Whoā€™s a good Sparky? YOUā€™RE a good Sparky!!!

5 Likes

Me in front right, Fizze left rear (after such a complimentā€¦)

5 Likes

Dang I need to stay away from the clearance bin.

RANKER

9 Likes

Woah this will be big!! The stack compared to my original non stack

8 Likes

Some awesomeness from Voltrove

8 Likes

Doesnā€™t need words

8 Likes

Seems ok in wattage mode. Havenā€™t tried TC yet. Nice feel. Fire bar has a little wiggle to it. The screen is really dim even with the brightness on max. Why does anyone used smoked glass on their screens?

6 Likes

Ohhhhh, love the voltrove miniā€¦yeah, mini compared to the 41mmā€¦Lol. how do u like the MF RDA? Not crazy about that one myself, it is ok but nothing special, just comes in handy when you need a series deck

4 Likes

Yup exactly that. It isnā€™t terrible but it isnā€™t stella either. But the price voltrove are selling for atm is stella. They have a few left over that had faulty glass so they are shipping them out with no glass top cap at a little under half price

6 Likes

Holy crap! 8.5 volts on a stick! Get ready cause here it comes!!!

6 Likes

ya is a pretty epic vape - to use @Steampugs words "hits like a drunken uncle " (at least I think it was pugs that used it if he didnā€™t he should lol)

7 Likes

In guessing itā€™s the same as in the Charon Mini (by release dates).

Iā€™ve already verified that the Cylon and Charon Mini are two completely different firmware.
And given I did a complete strip down on the Charon today (to find the chipset), Iā€™m compelled to go ahead and break out the soldering iron and do the same on a working Cylon.
I canā€™t stand knowing (and reporting on) one, and not the other. Especially when itā€™s the superior one (Cylon) that I donā€™t know. lol

Stay tuned! :wink:

6 Likes

OK!! Itā€™s official!
They are two WHOLLY different animals!

The Charon Mini operates on a ā€œHoltek HT32F52352ā€ ARM cpu (generic hunk of shit IMO), and the Cylon (gorgeous workhorse that it is) operates on a ST Microelectronics (long respected name in silicon for decades) STM32F412.

Charon Mini FW version: 1.3.1 (latest and current)
Cylon FW version: 3.0.8 (was on my original Tarnish, as well as the one much later, black)

HUGE difference in why the Cylon is so reliable (as well as the firmware tools/code) IMO.

Other interesting tidbit: My Cylonā€™s (Tarnish) CPU was made in France (ā€œVQā€ production code). Though there was a revamp to support the hugely popular chipset, and they extended production to their Taiwan Fab as well. So Iā€™m betting that my black oneā€™s cpu was made in Taiwan (though I have not confirmed this yet), and those have an ST production code of ā€œ9Rā€.

Even still, I trust ST Micro HEAPS more than I trust the Nuvoton crap, and until Smoant can show that Holtek is capable of stability, theyā€™re not much above Nuvoton IMcurrentO.

Since theyā€™re both the same form factorā€¦(32F series, and 64pin)
Iā€™ve got a sneaking suspicion that I could drop an ST chip in the Charon Mini, and with a bit of firmware finagling, could have another stable device! (but of course have to account for the difference in screen size, after finding a way to do a factory dump of the Cylonā€™s FW.)
Interesting, yet random thoughts aboundā€¦ grinning

8 Likes

Makes me more curious whatā€™s inside the Naboo.

4 Likes

Makes me think theyā€™re not doing their own thing (as I initially hoped) but are job-batching models (or even order runs) through different assembly houses, As each product is designed (and even possibly, as reordered).

Reasons for suspicions/questioning:

• Different chip use from one product to another. (Holtek on the Charon Mini, ST on the Cylon)
  • Level of care/attention to detail during the assembly process (small things like glue around the lcd mounting on the Cylon, but not the Charon Mini)
  • Different lcd screens within the same product line (solid black backlighting on the Tarnish, blue tint on Black Cylon, obtained 6-8 months later)

And, thereā€™s also the extreme outlying chance that I received a clone (Charon Mini), but I find that EXTREMELY unlikely. Iā€™m more inclined to believe itā€™s a small team of devs/designers, batching jobs outā€¦

Even though theyā€™re obviously not making their own chips (as weā€™d previously been led to believe: the ANT versions) I do appreciate that they are currently ā€œtelling usā€ when they switch sources, and what chip is in which one (even though we need someone to translate what that actually ā€˜meansā€™):
Ant 225 = Holtek
Ant 218 = ST Microelectronics

At least they arenā€™t obscuring the data by lasering off the top of the chip!

@Eddie
Given the product page says itā€™s the 225 chipā€¦
http://smoant.com/naboo-kit-225w/index.html
Iā€™d bet itā€™s the Holtek. :wink:
But thatā€™s just an educated guess.

5 Likes

Nom Nomz Jamerang and pope brewers vanilla custard supreme

7 Likes