The fisherman’s corner

It’s not often… But yeah, metro StL has gotten that (and then some) several times in the past 20-odd years that I can recall. :wink:

Not common, but not outside the realm of possibility at all “down here”. chuckles

Weather patterns are definitely interesting here. It seems we’re frequently in/at/near the convergence point of fronts, regardless of where they’re coming in from.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was right. Seems while there are plenty examples of good will and proper customer service, there are equal examples of money grabs and bullshit indifference. The clause I feared was the one they used. This was the entire response. No apology, no attempts at restitution, no reach-out to assist.

Unfortunately, your cover is not eligible for replacement or repair under our warranty. This is not a deterioration of the textile or a manufacturing defect.

Warranty does not cover:

• Damage from high winds, extreme weather or acts of nature

One of their so-called customer testimonials states their cover withstood Hurricane Irma without issue. Yeah right. Suck my ass, liars.

1 Like

I have it, but hadn’t thought of it. Seems a bit sneaky on my part though, underhanded. I hate ‘do unto others’ when the unto is dishonest.

1 Like

Hardly. Insurance is a fucking graft from the start. The whole premise is “protection from the unexpected” or “things you can’t control, and are not responsible for”.

Underhanded would be YOU taking a can of spray paint to it, and then claiming vandalism. JMHO though.

3 Likes

Well, you put it that way… I’ll look into it after the cover company debacle is sorted. I was annoyed enough by that flippant response to contact them further, so we’ll see how it goes. Have not yet resorted to calling them big fat dummy heads so maybe there is still hope.

1 Like

Actually, I have a $500 deductible too. While it does cover ‘watercraft equipment’ as well as the hull, it isn’t worth a claim and a higher premium next time.

3 Likes

Back again with another boring update on the Life of Phil. Fortunately, the windshield did not break, it just looked from under the cover as though it had. So, it looks like aside from the cover being destroyed and breaking three support poles, there’s no damage to the boat itself.

Three of the four brand new support poles snapped, as I said. But with a pipe cutter and a little steady patience, I was able to cut off the lost sections of the pole and reconstruct them all. And they all extend enough to be salvaged, so no loss there at least.

I put a vent cap in one of the support sections of the old cover and re-installed that yesterday. Luckily it was dry and warm all weekend so the deck had a chance to mostly dry out. But the vent should help it get and stay dry from now on. The old cover also has strong , triple reinforcement patches on the cover support pole parts, so it should not be an issue again. Nothing back from the crooked seller on the new cover yet either. Pretty sure they are now ignoring me.

2 Likes

Well, that’s certainly good news!

I know you said the cover wasn’t cheap… But hopefully it was cheaper than your $500 deductible would have been.

Sorry to hear about the whole experience, but at least it was an additional layer of protection during one of the heaviest snows we’ve seen in a long while!

Here’s hoping for a better experience next time!

4 Likes

Sadly, it was not. And really, I don’t think there would have been damage if there was no cover at all, unless snow/melt would have been able to penetrate electronics. The gas tank is not exposed directly to water and the motor has its’ own cover that was not affected, so the console would have been the worry I guess. It stayed mostly protected from snow, but it was bearing the full weight of the snowfall directly which couldn’t have been a great feeling for it. Pisses me off, and always will.

2 Likes

I would love for this to be the impetus for getting a really nice pole barn that could serve as storage for this plus another huge bay for storing all sorts of happy shit. A bay with a lift for working on the vehicles, plenty of space for everything that’s crammed into my garage, giving me the intended second parking space for two cars rather than one tight squeeze for a car and the rest of it full of shit. But alas, that sort of thing takes money, something I currently (and seemingly always) lack. I would have been best getting my workshop and not the damned boat, but the power of the wife’s voice is indeed a strong one.

I love the boat, really. But my priorities are never the chosen priorities.

4 Likes

I wish it was that easy… Where the boat is, there’s no room to build a carport. And where there is room, is grass and ground that is not level. So, much grading would need to be done. I’d flippin’ love to.

4 Likes

I may just have to eat it and pay for covered storage up by Mark Twain until I can afford a proper shed (or we sell the boat and screw the shed, ha).

4 Likes

Dang, this is in the city of St. Louis yesterday. Not exactly a bastion of wildlife preservation.

https://fox2now.com/2019/02/05/large-rainbow-trout-caught-in-forest-park-lake/

3 Likes

Huh! Are rainbow trout rare or something over there?

2 Likes

In the middle of the city, I thought they were.

2 Likes

Ah ok - can’t throw a stone over here without hitting one in the lake (ok slight exaggeration :smile: )

3 Likes

I well expected to be done re-wiring the boat by now, but it’s been abnormally cold much longer than it’s been the last few winters. 20’s again this morning and no real warm-up yet in sight. I need a few dry days consecutively in at least the 50’s before I get this done. Largely because I don’t like working in the cold, and if there’s precip forecast it sucks to have to install the snap cover every day. I have all my supplies gathered and the plan is in place Just need the weather to cooperate. Irritating.

3 Likes

Yes, we got that Saturday night into Sunday. It was in the 60’s but rainy and cloudy. Then that big wind came a-blowin’ and took the temps back below freezing. I do have a lot of branches down, but nothing damaging. Just a bunch of crap I have to pick up because it’s too big to trounce over with the riding mower. News said the airport measured winds gusting at 66MPH. I guess we had just about the same thing you did, really. From the 60’s to the 20’s with big blows. Really, it needs to switch to spring already.

3 Likes

Currently in Spain for a short break, decided to get a day’s fishing in, only had 3 carp at roughly 5lb each… Beats work though :grin:

7 Likes