The fisherman’s corner

Oh, and no rush. It’s just been winterized and we will not touch it until March now.

I have a feeling that will have to wait for spring lol I might end up going after crappie, idk yet it’s gonna be right around 40 for the high temp, at least with crappie I’ll be setting the hook more often lol

I would do a compression check and also check the power pack or coil to make sure it has a strong spark. But an engine with worn piston rings is very hard starting. Hard to tell but this doesn’t sound like carbs to me.

Would worn rings lead to enhanced smoke like in automobile engines?

Generally yes, but harder to detect because the exhaust is mixed with water and it depends how bad they are. Using a compression gauge on a cold cylinder is always questionable. Best to warm it and then check individually. Then squirt oil in the cylinders and recheck. If compression goes up much you have found the problem. Winter is the best time for a rebuild and with a good manual not too difficult to DIY.

Well, until I showed him the motor tag today, he thought he had a fuelie 90 horse. It is a carbed 75. Even after telling me he had the carbs rebuilt, he still didn’t understand the carbed vs fuel injection difference. On top of that, the engine hood itself says 75 on it but he still thought it was a 90, I do not know why. *Oh, also, when he finally accepted it was a 75, he said he now knows why the boat is so slow, and he wants a new one! He’s funny. He is not getting a new one though. He’s married, like us sad clowns.

In other words, DIY does not mean Do It Yourself to him.

I’m not rebuilding his damn motor for him, either. And with it now winterized, it has gone into hibernation for the rest of the year anyway. I will help him troubleshoot, but no way in hell am I tearing his engine apart.

If he hasn’t spent considerable time under the shade-tree then a DIY rebuild is probably a real bad idea. :grin: But the dealers will gut him, that is, if you can find one that will even do it. Around here shops don’t work on anything boat related that is more than 20 years old. I know that is a corporate mandated Mercruiser dealer policy which I strongly disagree with and how I gained a lot of experience working on friends boats that were told that.

He definitely doesn’t want to deal with a shop that tells him that’s the “way it is” about starting. Bullshit. I wish you lived close because it should be pretty easy to nail down what is going on. It may very well be electrical or could be reeds behind the carbs on the intake- if it has them. But this does sound like rings and a compression problem to me. A gauge and a few cranks tells the tale and is generally the first thing I check with an older engine.

Edit. If it slow then it doesn’t have any power which again point to rings. I had a 24 ft pontoon boat with a 50 hp Johnson that went about as fast as any other pontoon boat on the lake. 75 Hp should power a bass boat pretty well.

17x6 aluminum Lowe. Sounds like bad news…

Could be something simple and I don’t know Yamaha outboards. I have worked on yo mama motorcycles and do have a Y ATV that I completely rebuilt. They do some things differently but I have a pretty high opinion of them.

Did you notice oil smoke when running it? 75 HP on that aluminum boat should really make it scoot across the water.

I mentioned to him today it did seem to have a bit more smoke than I expected, bit it was 29 degrees. I really don’t know. He reports top speed of around 24mph with just him.

Well, to me providing he has a good prop and has his tilt set right, it should go a hell of a lot faster than that especially by his self. iboats should have plenty of people who know that particular engine. I stopped going there because all the old timers were dying off and it just depressed me. But I’m guessing that they will immediately ask for year and model from the tag and ask if a compression test has been done. If he doesn’t have one the auto parts dealers usually have loaners. A decent mechanic can tell a lot from this or even by just looking at the spark plugs.

Maybe @woftam’s friend has other ideas but that engine is approaching 30 years old and is probably worn out or close to it. This is not to say that it shouldn’t be looked at or that it can’t be rebuilt, because it can. However, sometimes it can be easier and more economical to try to find a powerhead rather than having the cylinder bored and buying new rod bearings, pistons, rings, cams, valves, gaskets etc. Most dealers take in trades that have trashed lower units or stuff from traffic accidents and there are salvage yards where they have people that are pretty good at evaluating conditions.

You should ask around also. I started fixing friends boats and word got around to the point that I had tell people no more. So there are probably lots of people in your area. I hate to say it but a lot of the ones coming out of trade schools generally couldn’t find their ass with both hands, and damned sure don’t know carburation. Something as simple as an air leak can cause these same symptoms- no power, hard to start, smoke from a bad air fuel mixture…

I spoke to my mate
His questions were
Have u used fuel stabilizer?
He also said Yamaha are notorious for carbi issues especially if they have been left with stale fuel for a few months.

Carbi cleaner won’t clean any fuel residue gum left. The best bet is to strip em down, clean and rebuild. Checking compression is a good plan too.

Once it starts does it idle?
Once you take off does it bog down?

If it does both of these it is carbi not rings.
His statement was

Diagnosing from 15000km away thru a third person is hard but you are welcome to bring it by for him to look at.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have to choose between you and pipes to take it too… I’d prefer Australia but Indiana is more economical.

It idles and does not bog down. It is a 2006 I verified.

And i was hoping I could come along for the ride. I was looking at a map and couldn’t find what road to take when we get past Los Angeles though :thinking:.

I think you want “Atlantis hwy”…
/rimshot

I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque…

Big difference between that and a 2006. Gooberment was cracking down on outboards so a service manual is necessary. Too many pollution doodads are possible.

I’m sorry for that. I really meant early 2000’s and have no idea why I said 90’s. Regardless, you’ve made some logical points and I will advise him to get it to a good shop before too long so he has an idea of what is going on.

They mandated fixed air and fuel jets among other things. Taking it to a private individual who knows his shit and is not worried about modifying that junk is good if you can find one. I think woftam’s friend is probably right about it being carbs but I have no idea what Australia forced on their boating public. I’ve had problems with ATV engines because of these fixed jets and finally went to a totally different universal racing carb, a real pain in the ass but no more lagging when I need power to climb a hill or something. The old grey beard turns some heads when he lets it eat.:grin:

I know it’s carbed. I fogged them for him yesterday (they added a nice little screw in the intake horn for this purpose). And I can literally see all four of them. I’m mechanically inclined enough with enough in-the-seat experience with engines overall to know; but my brother does not. And like I said, he even has paperwork from '16 showing that the shop (the shady one I do not trust) rebuilt all four then. He didn’t have that done to address hard starting or operating conditions because he didn’t even know the conditions existed. He’d just bought the boat and that place recommended the service so he went for it. There’s no reliable history of the machine prior to him buying it then.