The fisherman’s corner

I mentioned to him today it did seem to have a bit more smoke than I expected, bit it was 29 degrees. I really don’t know. He reports top speed of around 24mph with just him.

I spoke to my mate
His questions were
Have u used fuel stabilizer?
He also said Yamaha are notorious for carbi issues especially if they have been left with stale fuel for a few months.

Carbi cleaner won’t clean any fuel residue gum left. The best bet is to strip em down, clean and rebuild. Checking compression is a good plan too.

Once it starts does it idle?
Once you take off does it bog down?

If it does both of these it is carbi not rings.
His statement was

Diagnosing from 15000km away thru a third person is hard but you are welcome to bring it by for him to look at.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

I have to choose between you and pipes to take it too… I’d prefer Australia but Indiana is more economical.

It idles and does not bog down. It is a 2006 I verified.

2 Likes

I think you want “Atlantis hwy”…
/rimshot

4 Likes

I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque…

2 Likes

I’m sorry for that. I really meant early 2000’s and have no idea why I said 90’s. Regardless, you’ve made some logical points and I will advise him to get it to a good shop before too long so he has an idea of what is going on.

1 Like

I know it’s carbed. I fogged them for him yesterday (they added a nice little screw in the intake horn for this purpose). And I can literally see all four of them. I’m mechanically inclined enough with enough in-the-seat experience with engines overall to know; but my brother does not. And like I said, he even has paperwork from '16 showing that the shop (the shady one I do not trust) rebuilt all four then. He didn’t have that done to address hard starting or operating conditions because he didn’t even know the conditions existed. He’d just bought the boat and that place recommended the service so he went for it. There’s no reliable history of the machine prior to him buying it then.

Ugh, I have to apologize again? Damn!! Yes, of course you weren’t doubting it was carbed, man I am stupid. Sorry.

3 Likes

Hey @anon96069639, I finally got to do my LU oil today. Finally sunny and warm. When I did my brother’s a few weeks ago, it was black as night and stinky. I figured mine would be, too, but it came out looking like fresh oil. I’m taking that as a good sign that they did do good maintenance, hopefully.

1 Like

Forgive the stupid question, but what is the ‘playpen’ of a pontoon boat? All I can find are playpen covers but no definition, and I really hate to ask this stupid question…

2 Likes

A guy I work with during winter caught this last night down the end of my road

The voice over is NSFW since it is 2 Aussie young fellas lol

7 Likes

one of the smaller ones in the lake but although you can’t really see it (thanks Ben ya ####) it’s actually a beautiful bronze /black koi carp which shouldn’t really be in the lake and I had spotted. Him a few times swim close by

6 Likes

Out in the sticks called westwoodside near Doncaster at a private lake I’m lucky enough to be a member of… Obviously it was taken a few months ago when the weather was nice,
Thanks for the welcome :grin:

5 Likes

Wow! Gorgeous catch!
Welcome! Nice to have you!

3 Likes

I feel like when non-fisherman hear the words “umbrella rig” this is what pops up in their head lol

6 Likes

Ha ha ha, thats brilliant

5 Likes

7 Likes

I got a cover for the boat in November; the original one was a snap on pain in the butt and it didn’t cover the entire deck, only the “playpen”. Anyway, I spent up on what seemed to be a thick, decent one. Designed especially for my boat, and has a 25 year warranty.

It was of course exposed to the recent snowfall, As it was off the drive path and not super easy to get to through the heavy snow, I left it to melt off on its’ own.

Today, I went out to look at it, filled with pride and confidence that the new, heavy duty, long warranty cover merely laughed at the accumulated snow. However, what I found instead is that the cover poles poked holes through the brand new cover. These poles were also new when I got the cover, are boat cover support poles specifically, and have big wide soft rubber feet that are supposed to prevent this very thing.

So now I’m pissed again. New cover, not at all cheap, three months in to a 25 year warranted service life, and it is ruined.

1 Like

Here’s the thing that I think will end my hopes of having things handled as I would prefer.

Warranty does not cover:

• Damage from high winds, extreme weather or acts of nature
  • Tears from sharp objects or corners of vehicle, including friction or tension tears- please ensure to properly pad all sharp edges
  • Leaking, tears, or other damage resulting from water pooling on cover
  • Damage from customer modifications or abuse
  • Normal wear, weather soiling, or stains from environmental pollution
  • Damage caused by animals, rodents, or insects
  • Damage resulting from failure to use a cover support system or otherwise properly support cover
  • Material color fading is not covered under warranty
  • Product purchased from unauthorized 3rd Party Sellers are not covered by Eevelle Manufacturer Warranty.
  • Product purchased from CloseOut or items sold As Is.

That “acts of nature” reads like a morals clause in pro athlete contracts, and I bet they use it to deny the claim. “Shoulda kept the snow off” I expect to hear. Yeah, well, that’s what the cover is for after all…

1 Like

Oh yeah, they happen from time to time. Not common for early January but definitely not unusual in late winter.

While I can understand that simply using cover support poles was possibly inadequate, it would still be nice if they did something for me. Hundreds of dollars spent on this thing. And $60 for a set of really nice support poles too. Life as a teacher- I hate you.

4 Likes