The fisherman’s corner

Another question @anon96069639 sir… When we went out to the Ozarks, I used the Sta-Bil at that time because I knew it was the last time we’d be out in it. DO I need to add more prior to winterizing?

3 Likes

The guy who keeps helping me, that’s who!

4 Likes

Well, it actually went pretty smoothly, I guess. I’d read a lot of back and forth about fogging the cylinders pros and cons, and that fogging a fuelie (like mine) is not the same as a carbed engine. So I sprayed a bit into the intake but it didn’t literally start to smoke. I also used the Boeshield on the entire engine and bay. The lower unit gear oil I still need to do as I didn’t have a big enough screwdriver to engage the screw properly and I don’t want to strip it. It may be a Spring deal anymore this time… I may or may not need it, but I don’t know when it was last changed so, better safe than stranded.

Is it actually supposed to be that easy?

3 Likes

But I’m serious though, is it supposed to be this easy? I feel like I’m missing something. I will take the batteries inside and get the trailer wheels off the ground and covered, but is it really not that huge a chore?

2 Likes

We get a handful of 4 inch or less snows, and maybe two that will be 5-10 inches. So yeah, not the snowiest place.

My dream is a big garage with a lift. I’d love it to be wide enough to store the boat and the van side by side, with the lift for vehicle building and maintenance, just because who wouldn’t want that? But the truth is, that will never happen. I have been thinking about a carport option like that as well, it may be closer to a budgetable item but still not soon. I also thought about an indoor storage facility near Mark Twain (since that is where we will be 90% of the time), but $600 a year! Plus I would miss Boaty.

Thanks for the confirmation, I guess I will stand down and let myself think I done OK.

3 Likes

Darnit Pipes, I have been reading around again (stupid me) and now I’m worried that if I don’t change the lower unit oil, it will die next Spring. Talk me off the ledge!!!

2 Likes

Fantastic idea; I should have thought of that. And you ask why I call you Sir…

3 Likes

Well, I bent a quarter and a penny, and a nickel is too fat to fit. Dang.

1 Like

Guess I’ll wait a few days and try again…

We haven’t gotten any snow down here in south central Indiana yet, I’m hoping everything doesn’t freeze this weekend, I planned on squeezing in one more fishing trip on Sunday or Monday lol

2 Likes

Winterized my brother’s boat for him today. He had a huge screwdriver and I got to change out his LU oil and I got the screwdriver for myself. So I can do mine after all…

Question, just tossing it out here. His engine is a carbed Yamaha 75 4 stroke. It is exceptionally hard starting, and I’m looking for ideas. I will check elsewhere buy y’all are a smart lot so I am asking here too. The choke works, both manual and electric (I was really hoping that would be it). He primes the bulb until it is firm and chokes it but it still takes forever to turn over. He had the carbs rebuilt 2 years ago but it still does this, did before and does now. The shop said that’s just the way it is, but I don’t buy that…

1 Like

I can ask a mate of mine who is a marine mechanic but I know F all about boats if you give me more details I can ask propper.

My answer would be along the lines of a fantastic Aussie product (yes it is a real product)

(really is is just Aerostart which i assume you have over in the states)

4 Likes

Called starting fluid here, and yes we have it.

Well, as much detail as I have… It’s a carbed 75 horse Yamaha, early 90’s engine. It just cranks and cranks and cranks before it starts. Worse when cold but also when restarting at operating temp. It will fire right away with Start Ya Bastard but who wants to do that every time, on the water, trying to fish not be a mechanic…

It has a functioning electric choke and a manual override, makes no difference and it feels like it is not choked. I can verify the butterflies close on all 4 carbs when choked. He primes the fuel bulb until it is firm. I don’t believe he is flooding it.

1 Like

I will drop my mate a text message today see if he has some suggestions to try

2 Likes

Thanks man, appreciate it!

2 Likes

Oh, and no rush. It’s just been winterized and we will not touch it until March now.

1 Like

I have a feeling that will have to wait for spring lol I might end up going after crappie, idk yet it’s gonna be right around 40 for the high temp, at least with crappie I’ll be setting the hook more often lol

2 Likes

Would worn rings lead to enhanced smoke like in automobile engines?

1 Like

Well, until I showed him the motor tag today, he thought he had a fuelie 90 horse. It is a carbed 75. Even after telling me he had the carbs rebuilt, he still didn’t understand the carbed vs fuel injection difference. On top of that, the engine hood itself says 75 on it but he still thought it was a 90, I do not know why. *Oh, also, when he finally accepted it was a 75, he said he now knows why the boat is so slow, and he wants a new one! He’s funny. He is not getting a new one though. He’s married, like us sad clowns.

In other words, DIY does not mean Do It Yourself to him.

I’m not rebuilding his damn motor for him, either. And with it now winterized, it has gone into hibernation for the rest of the year anyway. I will help him troubleshoot, but no way in hell am I tearing his engine apart.

2 Likes

17x6 aluminum Lowe. Sounds like bad news…