The fisherman’s corner

Guess what this impulsive jackass is doing? Going to look at a pontoon boat this afternoon. I foolishly mentioned to the wife that maybe, just maybe, we should look again for a boat. She’s a terrible nag about things, and one thing she’s been on me for a long time about is that. I knew way better than to mention it.

So, along with you enablers, I have a non-stop bleating in my ears, so the search just got real. It’s a good looking boat. Mid-2000 model, 20’, plenty of room to hang out or fish, 90HP merc outboard, trailer included. Wish me luck. Supposedly water-ready since I will NOT abide a project. Decent price for the model according to NADA, so I’m sure there’s a catch.

5 Likes

Sure. Today is just a look-see and a spin around the water. Won’t be daylight enough for a full inspection. This is just getting eyes on it.

4 Likes

Good luck fizzy! And remember, gooba gobba gooba gobba one of us! One of us!! Join the boat brotherhood!! Lol and don’t forget fisherman’s anonymous is every Wednesday night at 8!

5 Likes

It’s awesome! May be getting it tomorrow! Ugh. You could eat off the motor. Whole vessel is clean as a whistle. No signs of trouble. Got to drive it on the lake. Very impressed. 2007, 140 hours. Stored indoors its’ whole life. Only been on one lake.

5 Likes

Y’all got me.

Fortunately, I have an Econoline 350 with a beastly 7.5l motor, because this van struggled mightily getting it 200 miles home. It’s supposedly rated to tow without issues, but no one told the van that.

4 Likes

It’s just disappointing, because we specifically got the tow package just in case we’d need it. I did not foresee a pontoon boat in my crystal ball, but I always get the tow package on all the vehicles I buy because it’s better to have it and not use it than, well, you know. Too see how it struggled was a huge letdown. That’s the wife’s van, of course. The other choices are a HEMI Durango (old but strong like bull) and the E-350 (older, but strong like herd of bull). I would have preferred the newer vehicle be the primary but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen.

First trip is to the Ozarks in about a month. It was already planned and we were just going to take turns in my brother’s boat. But now, I guess that changed.

4 Likes

There’s No Replacement For Displacement!!! Preach it. My Econoline can pull a house off its’ foundation.

5 Likes

I hear you there! I came up just the opposite. Grew up on salt, and had to learn fresh. Interesting how different they can be. I still much prefer salt though, there’s just something more “wild” to it (at least to my ‘warped’ mind. lol).
I guess it’s because lake fishing seems like ‘fish in a barrel’, and with salt, it feels like they have “the world” to roam. (Even though most are highly territorial, it’s the way my mind works. chuckles - shush Phil! LMAO) :wink:

4 Likes

8e4e2b36fb40c77af6e250712fe362f5_400x400

4 Likes

Grats on the new boat though brother! :thumbsup:

Way fucking cool @anon96380778!

4 Likes

Thanks!

Believe it or not, one reason I got a break on the price was a trailer light wasn’t working properly. He said a marina quoted 350 for rewiring and new lights. It was a loose ground, problem solved for zero cents. Won’t tell him that though. Pays to be handy…

5 Likes

I was on my mobile last night. Hate foruming with that. Anyway, the brake light…

So they guy said the tail light was ‘acting up’ this year. He only towed the boat a half mile from storage to the launch, on a rural road in the wildlife reserve area, so he didn’t do much about it. Since he kept it near the marina that serviced it, he took the trailer to them for a diagnosis. They said the wiring was corroded and the light sockets had all fallen victim to aging, a normal thing. And then the $350 quote to re-wire the whole thing. He politely passes, as I would have also done.

Symptoms… in normal operation, both brake lights and both blinkers worked normally. With the headlights on, the driver’s rear running light would not illuminate. And, when you hit the brakes, the entire driver’s rear light would not work at all. Classic ground symptoms.

So I took off the tail light, and sure enough, the ground point was corroded and a little rusty. I scuffed it all up to shiny, slathered on a little dielectric grease, re-assembled, and everything works as it should. I will do the other tail light later as a maintenance measure. Hate when service centers play the BS game with uninformed customers, but it worked out for me this time.

5 Likes

Sold that van today too. I told the old lady I don’t like losing that money out of the account, and since the van really ain’t up to the task of towing that boat, her fancy van goes. She actually agreed (because let’s face it, I can bloviate all day long, but you all already know if she puts her foot down, I’m not doing anything). So goodbye garage anchor. I can replace the boat expense now so I can feel better.

5 Likes

Abundantly true.

So if you think about it, I actually got her to trade a POS useless expensive paperweight of a van for a pontoon boat! And she actually agrees that was the best path to travel! I better not put it that way. But then, the deals are already done, so HA! I rarely win. I’m savoring this.

5 Likes

PLUS, the boat puts food in the freezer!! :smiley:
Honestly. Have you seen the price of fish these days? o0 /smh

4 Likes

Tentatively, it’s Boaty.

4 Likes

Leaving tomorrow morning. Definitely feeling weird; I’ve never had a boat and although I’ve been on countless fishing trips, it’s almost surreal that I’m going with my own boat. Bubba is more than up to the task with his 13,000 towing capacity but I still can’t help but worry myself to death. While I can’t think of a thing I’ve missed, I have nonetheless convinced myself that there will be huge problems. Isn’t that stupid?

5 Likes

Pretty much license, registration, and all the electronics installs I needed to do. Plus, the repairs needed on Bubba I guess. Next year the plan is bi-weekly day trips up to Mark Twain with a few extended stays back down in the Zarks, so it will be used for real.

4 Likes

I did slap the rabbit ears on to make sure it runs, and it started on the second crank so I’m feeling better about that. All new batteries, really I shouldn’t worry, and it’s my nature not to worry, but for some reason I am.

2 Likes

I’m bringing a full toolbox, a spare tank of gas for some reason, some fix-a-flat, maybe even flares and a tent if I get stranded on the side of the highway :rofl:. Overkill, I know. And I’m following my brother down so it’s not like it’s going to be some Cujo scenario if I break down.

Oddly, I’m more worried about steering the boat into the slip. I’ve done that before with other boats and I’m sure it won;t be an issue, but what gives? Huge butterflies for some reason. Killing me. Not like me at all.

Oh, and thank you again for excellent tips and pointers provided when I was looking for the boat. You really helped me with the decision and I definitely appreciate it brother.

4 Likes