The fisherman’s corner

Or sell the boat and just get a hot tub! Ah, decisions.

3 Likes

You could get 2 hot tubs heat one and stock the other with fish but I would suggest more research here this will help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSvZDM5aVVI

5 Likes

No thanks! But she’s welcome on my boat…

2 Likes

I still have to install the binnacle, ignition, glovebox, and Perko battery switch. And of course wire everything together.

Since the gauges will be digital, all the information rides along the NMEA 2000 network, so I’ve found a lot of wiring harnesses that will no longer be needed. And everything will be on a bus within the console, so nothing needs to be routed to the back of the boat but the main harness, and engine starter and ground. Saves a whole lot of trouble. I also found a Lowrance fluid sensor cable for the NMEA2k, so the fuel gauge will also be digital on the Lowrance. No more analog. I like that idea from a ‘modernization’ standpoint. When I want gauges, I just press a button to display that dashboard. Then another button to go back to the fish hunting.

I got a 29 gallon tank since the 30 gallon original does not fit dimensionally anymore. I can stand to lose one gallon of capacity as we generally use about 1/4th of a tank per trip. It will be mounted under the live well console in the back. Batteries will be under the seats for better weight distrubution. Trolling motor will be back in the front center where it belongs.

Anyone need a complete, very good condition cruise pontoon deck setup? All of the old layout is being replaced so everything but the old carpet and decking will be sold off (or donated to a friend who will use it and not resell it). Including the fencing, console, fuel tank, live well, ladder, bimini, steering wheel- basically everything you need to build a boat deck setup.

4 Likes

I hear you there. Most often I enjoy seeing a project built from the other side of the fence. Unfortunately, to allow that experience would quadruple the cost of it.

Wife reminded me that the project is no excuse for ignoring the honey-do list, and leaf blowing is the job of the day for me today. I explained that the boat is actually part of her list, but she said a man can do many things at once. I disagreed! Not at my age at least. I told her no way am I leaf blowing the stupid yard and driveway while the boat work is unfinished.

Anyway, just got done leaf blowing.

4 Likes

Hahaha suckers - no leaves for me woot woot

4 Likes

Nice. But you have plants that can eat you, if the animals or insects don’t first…

3 Likes

Lol it always comes down to the spiders - the big ones are not the ones you have to worry about it is the small buggers that will make you sick.

I got bitten by one of these little buggers and spent a week in hospital

3 Likes

We have little nasties here too, and they actually like to live in your storage boxes and such. Brown Recluse and Black Widows. Not your oversized versions but nasty things anyway. I imagine Guitarded has them since he’s geographically close to me. I have seen both of these on my property more than once. I am afraid of very few things in life, but those two things and heights are my nemesis.

4 Likes

Can I say &^(^&%__+^%$%$ here? It seems it’s one conspiracy against me after another.

I finally got the carpet off, and the deck bolts and screws off (good weather finally, thanks). But G3, in their infinite wisdom, decided that instead of tar paper to seal the deck meeting edges, decided to use a channel system. So, the top edge of each end of plywood is notched about 1/32" and the boards are slid in rather than laid down.

So, not only can I NOT lift off the decking piece by piece, but I have to somehow slide each piece out then back in… after I somehow figure out how to notch a 1/32x1/2" edge. Come on now.

1 Like

Sure, tomorrow my man.

2 Likes

Thanks. I have a router and bit so should be OK. Upon close imspection, it is the first layer of laminate that was removed, so actually I could score and chip that out probably, or even use a utility knife. Drywall square should help.

They do not slide out. Fortunately, I was able to pry up the front sheet (leading edge not in a channel) and wiggle it until the channel glue broke, and I was able to shimmy it out. And fortunately part two, the supports are not welded on, only bolted, so I took out the bolts for the 4 channeled supports and they came off as the decking did. Followed that for the next 3 and they are all off without too much trouble. Only the rear one left, and it still has the gas tank sitting on it so I need to get that done first, then the last one should be easy enough. The boat is a skeleton for the most part.

1 Like

And fortunately part three, I have always put a jack stand under the trailer frame at the rear so when I walk on the deck, it does not tilt backwards. Glad that was there, because once the first sheet came off the front, the boat promptly tilted right up and on to the jack stand.

2 Likes

I agree, but there’s the part about me being old and the pain of age… I won’t get the deck on in this warm spell unfortunately because I’m going to feel this tomorrow. But a BIG chuck of progress getting this far.

*Sorry for the edit after the given likes. I was just going to add that aside from the weather, I also was sort of at an impasse as I tried to figure out how to proceed. I’d sneak out there, try to get something done, but keep hitting up against those disassembly questions and just give up. Posting that yesterday helped me think it out a bit and just go for it. So thanks for your input!

2 Likes

I’m glad you didn’t own it before me, because the nuts I did take off were difficult enough! Seeing those pics here, it looks like a damn fine opportunity to get those logs shining like new…

1 Like

Toon Brite is what I used last year and it did a good job, but I did not use any protectant so they didn’t stay clean long. Worked well but I’d need something to preserve it and keep the oxidation and staining at bay.

Though I probably won’t get to the logs anyway. I have to REBUILD THE ENTIRE DECK FIRST…

Hey! All caps attack there, sorry.

2 Likes

Boat’s fully bare now. The aft sheet was a bitch. There were two large aluminum plates bolted and riveted to the bottom of the rear rails, which closed off access to the deck bolts. Once I got them drilled out we were able to get the deck off. After lugging that massively heavy full gas tank off.

No new pics, it’s just a full skeleton now.

2 Likes

Hey! I’m stupid!

Although I knew I needed 8’6" width plywood, and although I thought I ordered 8’6" width plywood, this moron jackass actually ordered 8’ width plywood (months ago). And only discovered my error today when I overlaid an old piece on the new stuff to template the cutout for the transom. What a fool!!! Cost too much to return, so I guess I will sell it. Thought I would have a new deck on today, apparently not.

Classic definition of hurry up and wait. 100%, completely, totally my fault. I ordered the wrong stuff by mistake. What a stupid clown idiot dipshit.

Happy ^&)&$%$%()()&^$&* New Year.

1 Like

Another part I failed to mention… the Bimini top was also mis-ordered as an 8’ rather than 8’6". So I have to deal with that too. Fortunately, Dinkus McHorseass managed to get the order right for the vinyl flooring because that would again be a tough cost to freight-return.

2 Likes

On a positive note, after doing more research I have found that while I do need to have gunwale fencing, I do not have to have the gates themselves. State laws say that there must be seating within the gunwale to be in use while the boat is above ‘idle speed’, but it does not have to be fully enclosed. So I will have wrap-around fencing that extends to behind the captain’s seat and does enclose the seats, but I will not have to bother with those terribly inconvenient gates. I did not like them on the old boat either. Always in the way. So good riddance to them.

2 Likes