The fisherman’s corner

How about this instead, @anon96069639?

Hey, never hurts to keep the dream and try to make it better, even if it can’t happen, right?

1 Like

I didn’t mention earlier because I didn’t think of it, but there was no way to eliminate the fencing with that online tool, so I just expanded it to cover the perimeter. Initially I was only going to have the railing on the sides, but not having a fully enclosed playpen is a no-no from what I’ve seen. So yes the new layout has a 12’ playpen with two gates where there would have been only the side fencing (currently the fencing is right to the back edge then 24" off the front for 18’ total).

But it does work this new way too and gives additional space within the gates for coolers and tackle boxes so they won’t accidentally fall off while cruising. And the two 55" seats butted together gives enough under-seat storage that I don’t need to break down the rods to get them under the seats like I have to now.

I showed this mock-up to my brother and he said it was great, then said “Why not just buy a boat that’s like that?” First off, there is no boat exactly like this, and secondly, even if there was it would cost more than the renovations. Which are actually very pricey, by the way. Like on the order of $7000 for everything I want to do. Gadzooks. But it would be the forever boat we want. Sigh. GoFundMe anyone??

1 Like

The second pic is a hot tub right (blue section)? Ya I would be up for fishing from a hot tub.

3 Likes

That would be different! And far less fun with the family than otherwise. A bimini top, actually.

2 Likes

I agree with you about that. With a young motor (we added only about 2 hours to it this year, which is probably around what we’ll do regularly) and routine maintenance, it should last until we no longer care to fish. And if done well, maybe even hold a decent resale value to boot someday. And there’s always that YOLO thing. And besides, I’m not wrong to think that other people who are interested in a very crappie friendly pontoon deck would really like this too, am I?

I’m going to leave the 12’ playpen in the middle, I think. I’d definitely prefer open deck when fishing off the corners I think.

So, another question… I see pontoon boats online, new expensive ones, that have under-deck storage for things like fishing rods. How do they do that?

1 Like

I think you’re right but I foresee a couple problems… First, it’s only maybe 5’5", 6’ between the logs, and second the cross members are only 2" tall. So, not much room to work with. Going below the cross members would add a lot of drag too, I figure. I picture a box dragging in the water as a bad thing, probably best to abandon that idea.

1 Like

OK, always changing, never happy. Turns out the bimini hardware would block the middle captain’s chair in the previous ‘final’ layout, so a modification. It was either lose the seat or move it. Since I want 6 people to be able to fish from a swiveling chair, the move-it was the decision.

2 Likes

Wife demands a new layout so we’re going forward. Guess I’ll post pics as it progresses. Christmas is shot for the next 5 years.

2 Likes

I guess I knew I would too. Flooring coming off isn’t as big a problem as flooring going on. It’s the temps I have to fret over. Apparently it needs 55 degrees to fully cure. Problem is, I cannot tell if that is 55 for 48 hours or 55 at the time of application. I mean, if it goes on in warm enough weather, but the temps drop below 55 at night (but then rebound again the next day), will it just cure more slowly or does it totally kill it. I can’t get a straight answer from the intertubes or the manufacturer either. If I have to wait until it is 55 or above for 48 hours, it may be March at the earliest. That would suck.

*Side note- it’s ridiculously easy to strip a pontoon deck to nothing. Very minimal screws and bolts. It only took a few hours to look like it does today.

3 Likes

Screw down a rod box and a small storage box and that’s the perfect pontoon for me lol 360 fishing capability with no rails or fixed chairs anywhere lol

3 Likes

It is water based. Next week there will be a 3 day period (supposedly anyway) where highs will be in the 50’s and lows above freezing before it drops out again, and I would LOVE to get it done then since I can do nothing until the flooring is on, obviously. I don’t care if it takes 3 months to “fully cure” as long as I can get the flooring down early enough. Man it’s a nerve wracking affair.

@Fishaddict420, a fishing vessel is exactly what I’m after. In the event of a potential resale (highly unlikely but who can see the future) and to add comfort/meet legal requirements, it will have great fishing seating but also a playpen with bench seating and storage. I’d put nothing but butt seats on it too if I wouldn’t get thrown off the lake every time I put it in the water. And of course the family needs a few comforts too, so bah.

The only thing on the deck now that will be on the deck after the build is the binnacle control and the steering cable. Everything else is being replaced with new. Sounds daunting but it’s actually easy, being a pontoon.

3 Likes

Well, you know what they say about adding tools to the box… I’m thinking about a propane heater and a cheap enclosed canopy to keep it warm so I do not have to depend on the weather. Thoughts? Yes, it’s a cost but it would maybe work out.

3 Likes

I am still stuck on a hot tub :rofl:

4 Likes

In July the whole lake is a hot tub.

So @anon96069639, it’s the entire deck, 8x20, that needs to be temp controlled for 2 days for the adhesive. Dangerous is sometimes just a matter of not taking proper precautions. I know what you’re saying though. A small-ish heater on low should cover that ~1100 cubic foot area without too much trouble, even if it’s in the 30’s and 40’s at night. Unless I’m thinking wrong. And at least I’d roll the boat out to the middle of the driveway so if something goes bad, it’s only going to be the boat that suffers. If I had room I’d remove the motor and trailer and roll it into the garage, but alas, not a big enough garage.

3 Likes

I looked into that at least from the internet angles. I live in a rural enough area that if I want to rent a heated garage, it’s probably a long ride into the city. Then there’s trust issues, missing my boaty, all that stuff.

2 Likes

Well, on from the flooring to some other things being done… I was able to procure the aft livewell/storage console and that will fit a 29 gallon gas tank under it. Doors on both sides for access to the tank if needed. Stern light will mount on that since I won’t have the bimini on all the time, and the law says I need a light there.

On the helm/console, I plan to modernize the look a bit. I will not be re-installing the analog gauges. The NMEA 2000 network carries all the parameters and I will use the Lowrance fish finder as my ‘dash’. That Yamaha interface cable I hooked up to show the total hours also shows-

NMEA 2000 Yamaha Engines output the following standard data:
• Engine RPM
• Boost Pressure
• Engine Trim: 2006 and later
• Oil Pressure
• Engine Temp: 2006 and later
• Alternator Voltage
• Fuel Rate
• Hours Used
• Water Pressure
• Fuel Economy – if a speed source is on the network.

The only gauge I need is a fuel level gauge which will be on that aft livewell console. And added some silly LED lights to illuminate the playpen area because the family said we must have them.

2 Likes
  • The boat needs a hot tub
  • The boat doesn’t need a hot tub

0 voters

5 Likes

See I could close it now and it would mean 50% of people think you should get a hot tub (should have closed it when 100% thought you should - then you would have had to get one).

2 Likes

I doubt the boat would even move or maybe even float if I put a hot tub in it.

1 Like

True but imagine sitting in your front yard in the hot tub on the boat - boats don’t have to be on the water to be awesome.

4 Likes