The end of Windows 7

Like you, I have only set up Ubuntu on my laptop, I have too much other Win dependent software on my desktop to risk it just yet.
I have previously used the Libre Office suit and found it to be very acceptable for day to day use, I did strike some compatibility issues when I was working and had to contend with a lot of other businesses that used Win products, and also my project management tools needed Windows
I reckon I can work with Ubuntu, so onward and upward as they say.
An added advantage is that they reckon Linux is a lot safer than Windows, because so few people use it that the hackers can’t be asked to attack the Linux users :grinning:
I look forward to your thoughts on Ubuntu as well.

1 Like

@Tworrs too

There’s a program that you’ll likely want to install (finding the right variant of course), but it’s called Wine.

It’ll allow you to run a great variety of windows apps that may otherwise be incompatible. :wink:

1 Like

Aaah, yes I have heard of that, I need to look into it, thanks for the reminder @Sprkslfly

2 Likes

Great to hear you are making progress.
Now that you have tried Ubuntu and Mint, which way are you leaning?
Personally I favour Ubuntu,and have installed it on my laptop, partitioned with Win 10, and am very happy with it’s performance.

2 Likes

It will be an interesting journey for both of us I think, good luck :smiley:

5 Likes

Fun thread! How goes the world of Linux, folks?

2 Likes

It can be done mate I have done it. As a side note the new canary version is based on the same engine as chrome and FF and it is not bad.

3 Likes

Unzip somewhere and run the cmd as admin then reboot

3 Likes

I have had my laptop on Ubuntu for while now, and am very satisfied with it.
My desktop is still on W10 due to a bunch of programmes, so that will stay as is.

4 Likes

I think Simon’s tip will do the trick. :thumbsup:

For those (on windows 7) wondering how to remove internet explorer from their pc, all you need to do is go to the control panel, select “Turn Windows features on or off” and go from there.
Which, you’ll notice there are a host of other annoying “MS bundle ware” whose performance is far surpassed by third parties software…

EG:

• indexing service (easily replaced by “Agent Ransack” by Mythicsoft, a far more intelligent search, with greater options, and without having to maintain some gigantically bloated database. Not to mention saving cpu cycles, and time and power to maintain the updating of said database files… :roll_eyes: )

I also have no use for MS media software… When everything it does is replaced by VLC media player (or a host of others).

3 Likes

I forgot to mention the most important thing. It’s lightning fast. lol

One of the features is that it can not only search for the file name, but can search for text inside of the files, with a quickness!

2 Likes

It’s here… :frowning_face:

2 Likes

I have joined the dark side and bought a MacBook Air, and so far am quite enjoying the experience, even though it is a bit of a learning curve.
W10 is still on my desktop though.

3 Likes

Macs are great, I can’t really fault them, so simple they are complicated

2 Likes

Having been a Microsoft user since MS Dos days :grin: it has been a been a bit different, but all told, I’m quite enjoying the simplicity of it.

2 Likes

I think I came in around the 95 days, we were one of the first to have a pc in the street as my dad worked in IT, I would break that thing every other day and then watch him fix it, learnt a lot.

I loved XP, one of my fav OS’s then Win7 came along and just surpassed it, I’m not a fan of Win10 and with my old laptop there are no proper drivers for it so I have to use MS’s generic drivers which work but I lose some audio features

1 Like

Same here.

Speaking as a power user, MS is really going to have to pull a rabbit out of the hat if they want to keep me from going exclusively to a Linux build in the future.

I have no use for a dumbed-down OS (that is w10)

1 Like

You aren’t their target demographic though. They’re much more Android than Mac anymore, and largely because of their thrust for tablet users over keyboard warriors (or at least equal footing). But, there are still a lot of businesses who use it in desktop settings so they had to find a balance. Not sure if they did all that well, but that was what they had to work with- one OS for two very different purposes. My opinion anyway.

1 Like

Spot on, I remember when it was first released, Microsoft were pushing their surface I believe and more laptops were implementing touch screen technology, it made sense at the time to try and compete with apple and android

2 Likes

Hopefully windows 11 will revert back to more of an original feel

2 Likes