The end of Windows 7

I have to agree that XP was the best that MS ever did.
I’m going to see whether Mac is the answer for me, I’m still in the learning phase at the moment.
If W10 is the final version, then I reckon MS are going to become obsolete.

1 Like

I personally think that MS knows “Windows” is an antiquated name. I suspect the next OS they release will have a new moniker. May be the end of Windows but not the end of Microsoft.

2 Likes

As it stands it is but they will be releasing updates, hopefully a major one at some point that will allow Win10 to be somewhat modified per device… that’s the hope anyway

3 Likes

I use Win10 and yeah, not great but what u gonna do. I have been using linux on an old desktop and laptop too for a few years now. The desktop loves it, the laptop not so much, using ubuntu, any other linux builds better to try?

@anon96069639 or anyone else using Apple I use to have a iPad and was thinking of getting a mac book but my IT friend keeps telling me to stay away. He works for a publishing company and he says these expensive ass mac books need to be replaced when they stop making updates available to them. He said sometimes that is 3 years for mac books that cost 2 to 3k in some instances.

I do remember getting rid of my iPad Air after only a few years when I kept on having to dump apps to upload the latest iOS. The storage space was stupid for how much it cost and after awhile I just kept losing abilities. I got a Samsung Pro 12.2 close to around the same time as a refurb for only 325 or something ridiculous like that, best tablet I have ever owned bar none and I have had a lot. Still use it everyday but now for only reading emails, news and the occasional game, no banking and what not as it must be 6 or 7 years old now and updates stopped a couple years ago.

I like Apple stuff, just don’t get why there so stupid expensive. I remember when I bought my laptop a little over 9 years ago my niece got a mac book. I paid around 700 for mine and my sister shelled out around 1,600 for that mac. I remember my niece saying how it was expensive but it would probably last twice as long as my laptop. More ram and a ssd later and my laptop is still running better than when I first bought it, her mac bit the dust maybe 3 or 4 years ago.

4 Likes

Ya mac and their expensive peripherals and over priced units turned me off long ago. I just plod along with win now cause i am too lazy to change (also a lot of the programs i use do not have either mac or linux versions

5 Likes

I read an article that you can still upgrade a W7 pc to 10 for free. Need to do that to my Dad’s PC next time I am out that way. Can let you all know if it is successful in case anyone is interested.

3 Likes

I am so happy that you managed to find your Nirvana.

3 Likes

@Jim22 smart man. I have Classic Shell on ALL of my W10 setups.

2 Likes

This is likely a dead topic, but for anyone looking to install/update Windows 10 (new PC?) know that there is a cheaper Win10 License called “Builder’s License” which is $100 compared to $300. The difference is you cannot call M$ for Support if you have problems, the idea being you would call your “Builder” for Support. I’ve used the same key on multiple machines, no problem.

Under “Settings” → “Privacy” you can switch off a majority of intrusive M$ monitoring options. You’ll see these too as you finalize setup on a new PC …just set to “Off” and unless you’re doing lots of “Meetings” or “Google Hangouts” or other voice-linked operations (Zoom? Discord?) on your laptop, switch that built-in microphone off too …heh and a little Sticky Note over your webcam. :dark_sunglasses:

1 Like

Haven’t read all of this discussion here, but I have worked at some smaller machine shops that were running severely outdated computers and software simply because that was the only thing that the machine would run off of without a very expensive retrofit (Windows 95, Windows 2000, etc). One 5 axis mill that made these $850,000 parts actually ran off a Commodore Vic20. And these Windows puters were usually still on the network. Granted, they were likely not used to visit malicious sites. But I am sure some were. And there are probably a few of these that I used still being used at the shops I worked at.

2 Likes