Steeping with or w/o nic

I don’t think you could have made more sense tbh, everything you just said has made me realise things I already knew.

Next mix I’m not going to shake it, I’m going to give it 4-5 slow stirs with a spoon handle, close the bottle and chuck it in the cupboard.

The less time the lid is off, the better I reckon, and with a slow stir the components should blend well enough.

A massive problem we face in the DIY community is not having well documented processes, if we try something new / different we should be writing it out, Method / Result and storing it somewhere for reference, right?

7 Likes

And I’ll try to work out a good way to store Methods / Results for reference.

5 Likes

So, would you say the ideal / best method to mix would be:

• Heat VG to 60C
  • Place into a closed stirrer
  • Introduce flavours / PG via a closed loop
  • Pump finished product into another closed container via a connected pipe
  • Wait to cool to room temp
  • Introduce Nic
  • Light stir
  • Bottle
2 Likes

I see, it makes sense, I’d really like to find something that works without any extra hardware / costs, so I’ll be looking into that.

On a side note, do you think our discussion here would be better suited in it’s own topic and if so, what would you title it?

2 Likes

I can link off this to a new topic Named “Stirrers and Homogenizers” and move the appropriate posts if you want or do you just want to start a fresh topic?

2 Likes

Great thread! Wonderful to know how to do it right even though it won’t happen for me. It takes me a couple of months to go through any one e-juice so I just start vaping most of them as soon as they are mixed. Most of them definitely get better with age. I look at that as a bonus. Maybe someday when I get more of it vaped up and have a little more room I’ll start letting some “steep” before vaping. Right now I have way too many bottles of ejuice laying around.

5 Likes

I think you touched on some great points / information there that deserves its own thread, linking it off this ones keeps them together but also allows you to move into other areas of mixing that you clearly have a great understanding of, I’ll leave it here for now but if you ever want any of the posts moved / linked to a new topic, let me know. :+1:

3 Likes

I’m amazed by the fact that some leave the caps off for days on end. I always think “there goes your flavor…” (and more so if they do it while heating, or immediately after heating).

I tried a few different methods early in, and decided/settled on what I still do today (at whatever point)…more on that shortly.

I do (but only from the following premise): if someone has everything (PG/VG/flavors) all “nicely aged and blended”, and then adds nic, then you have a much higher chance of getting a shot of “grouped nic” together in one of “their” short blasts (1-2 seconds at medium to high power) which could easily be less pleasing (downright offensive to others). The above is considered with no additional steps taken aside from hand shaking, for remindingly (new word alert! :laughing: ) different levels of “shaking power” (strength of the individual) and durations (individual stamina OR until “they” think ‘good enough’.) Regardless, obviously everything will always be subjective, and clearly no scientific process to base anything on, so IMO, a complete waste of time trying to evaluate why they get what they get (at least for any kind of broad context or application).

I also believe that the majority equate TH to alcohol that hasn’t off-gassed yet. Because there IS A DIFFERENCE (as I’m sure you and a few others likely agree). The problem is however, is largely twofold IMO. Perception, and communication. (There’s a third, and that’s the very first sentence in this paragraph, but until the majority can understand that [likely never], then it’s simply easier [and less frustrating] to address the gist of what they’re attempting to communicate, or else you get called a dickhead by some fuck who thinks you’re being too technical in dissecting the importance of things like terminology etc.) So it’s sometimes easier to keep it simple, and “bypass” an important topic like this that could use some shedding of light, and honest thought into. Anyways… /back OT

I off-gass mine after the mix has settled in for two or three days, and do so specifically by:

• not shaking the bottle directly before off-gassing (so that the accumulated gasses remain in the top)
  • removing the cap and dropper fully
  • blowing into the top of the bottle gently (to displace any gasses not expelled by simply opening the bottle)
  • immediately reseal the bottle with the lid (and dropper)

I repeat the process around day 7.

I’m glad you brought the post forth, and hope you always feel able to do so. I frequently learn things from your posts/POV, and if nothing else, it always gives me things to consider!

4 Likes

:laughing: Seriously! It’s amazing how it’s so easy to lose track of some things when the body automatically adjusts the way it does. :wink:
Very funny, and very valid example my friend!

4 Likes

Just for the record, YES! I absolutely confirm the discussion we had in private. chuckles (not that anyone should have reason to doubt you)

4 Likes

I’d also point out that he INTENTIONALLY used the word stirring!!

I’ve experienced no ill effects using heat in my ultrasonic cleaner (lab/professional grade), when using closed Boston round bottles, and not opening the top until the bottle has reached room temperature.

4 Likes