Sous Vide 101 (and 202, 303)

I wish that was true for me!! Twice last year I had packages lost in transit. Both for two weeks. When I filed a complaint with USPS, magically the next day they were back on track. I figure a package gets left in a bin or on a truck and is simply overlooked. I don’t like it, of course. But it happens. Worse for me though it the post office putting the wrong mail in the wrong box. Monthly we sort of play musical boxes with the neighbors. Lord only knows what mail I’ve never received…

As for the seller’s attitude, screw that. Sucks when you give someone money in exchange for goods and they cop a 'tude like you’re being unreasonable.

Total lack of professionalism… :sunglasses:

I was able to persuade him to refund so I bought this. Spent way more than I wanted to but was wondering about fill levels and containers to heat in so:

Remember - he who dies with the most toys “wins.” :sweat_smile:

I was fixin’ to get those measurements for you, sorry.

Nice one! Looking forward to your thoughts. My VG comes today so I hope to mix today sometime.

No matter. The self contained one makes sense to me. The others are a lot bigger than I thought they would be so I doubt if I would have liked the eBay one anyway. My mixing “lab” is taking up a whole room in our house so compactness is a plus for me.

Because I’m using mine for food too, I like the versatility of the weenie shaped one, but for a lab only that would be my prize! Nice.

I plan to cook with it too but will likely use it n more for heating my mixes. That little crock took a lot of time and really isn’t big enough to hold more than 2 120 ml bottles.

On your mixing I don’t know the times but bringing to +140and shaking the crap out of it should go a long way to penetrate and permeate the VG. Any bubbles produced can be eliminated in your USC in minutes. Cool down before you open the bottle.

Let me know how you come out.

All ready, more or less. Waiting for the postman to bring me my VG!

I got myself that workbench for Christmas. Not really, just saw it on one of those silly sales and figured I needed a real place that wasn’t the side of my desk. Folds up when not in use.

So… can you submerge the bottle or should it be in a bag?

That’s what I wondering about with water levels and the main reason I went with the self contained version. It has a rack where I hope I’ll be able to not submerge a bottle or have to mess with a bag. I don’t know how good the caps are as far as sealing plus the heat may change the seal though it seems to me it would expand and make it tighter.

I think I would look around the house for some kind of platform or rack but I guess a bag may be the easiest. I wonder what @SmilingOgre does?

I had a little chuckle last night when friends not from here asked (alerted me) me about comments elsewhere concerning these subjects we are dealing with. There is of course nothing I can say or do about their nasty condemnations and bullshit but I did pick out some tidbits from the FlavourArt video referenced above for these friends. I was saying the same things long before I watched this video which is only one of many that can be referenced.

Quoting the granddaddy of vape flavorings Massimo Mancini- FlavourArts owner:

On the use of PG vs VG for making concentrates:

“Because there is a chemical reason. VG is a poor solvent for flavor material. Flavor materials are mainly (apolas? unknown term to me) which means they are not water logging. So you need a solvent as PG which is safe, which is clean, and that can keep all the flavor material dissolved properly. If you do the same flavor and you use VG instead PG as a solvent, the flavor is going to separate all the time.” (37:40)

On the subject of using heat. This is from how the final mix is made at about 40 minutes in:

“So we have taken the concentrated base, we have added PG, we have added some water, we have maybe added some extra ingredients, and in this container, this one is for 800 kilos, this container is self HEATING, self mixing , and self weighting.

So heat is used for making flavor concentrates but using heat will destroy them. Uhhh, that makes lots o sense. :weary::rofl:

A motor driving a high shear mixer is pictured on the tank or “container” as he called it.

Oh please, clearly he is saying that to throw off DIY mixers everywhere who may someday try to open their own business. What does that dude know??? It’s not like he runs a huge flavor concentrate manufacturer or something…

OK, the lads are taking a bath. Will be alternating shakes and USC trips throughout the afternoon. I did the sealed bag deal to see how that works.

Made the mistake of adding the nic already but that’s OK, I don’t think it will hurt anything. (Kidding, I didn’t. Just wanted to give y’all a cold chill).

Quick question… I know the correct temperature allows VG to interact chemically much more easily, but does the heat play any other role? As in, does heat not only get the VG to the proper temp for entropy to get rolling, but does it also encourage further chemical reactions along with the shaking/USC?

Quick question but no quick answer except I can’t say one way or another. I believed a lot of that in the past but as time goes on I have to question some of it and put them in the urban legend baseless conclusion category. To substantiate any claim on a scientifically provable basis would take years of training and massive lab equipment. Its beyond my capability.

There are hundreds of chemicals at play and the possible combinations are mathematically off the charts. I said quite awhile back to Woftam that I want to rely on the chemists and have no desire to go down the path of flavor chemistry, meaning what chemicals our flavorings are constructed from at the molecular level. I do want to know the base, alcohol content and flashpoint, and some of the others like maltol, daap, and if there are any sugars.

I’m fairly confident that evaporation is a real factor and some of these flavors have high volatility and others don’t. Some are readily miscible and some almost never fully disperse throughout a mix. I wrote a year ago that the so called steeping process is “dispersion of the flavorings at the micron level.” Heat and mechanical energy accomplish that. With VG being a substance that does not cause chemical reactions with other substances, I think that may be all we need to know.

The subject of nicotine is another matter. It does oxidize the flavorings. Heat will accelerate that which is why I leave it out. According to myself, many others, and Flavorah, this is an undesirable effect.

I can accept that. I ask only because I’m looking for an easy way (someone tells me) to figure out the best amount of time at 60c for full (enough) maturation to happen, so I can mix and vape the same day.

All told, the juices will have about 5.5 hours in the SV, 15 minutes in the USC, and as many minutes as my arm lasts of aggressive shaking. So in a nutshell, that is my first set of test parameters. I will know soon enough how well it worked.

I purposely made my Creme Brulee, which contains CAP Canilla Custard, a concentrate notorious for long steeping. It also has a dash of MF Vanilla. And furthermore, I have a time-steeped bottle ready to compare with. Looking very forward to it.

I should also add that I know well what all of the 12 recipes I have made today taste like as shake-n-vapes too. I always lose patience and have tried all of them the same day during previous mix sessions.

I’m anxious myself. The last thing I would want to do is lead someone down a wrong path.This is an unknown method to me, sort of, but I had good results with heat and stirrers. But I wound up buying 3 mag stirrers and then 2 overhead stirrers so I could make enough juice.

Keep working that arm so we can rename you Popeye. :grin:

I would never think that, @mrpipes. I am doing this not because you told me to and made promises, but rather because I am ridiculously interested in this myself. Plus I do love the sciency stuff. Happy to be a guinea pig, totally.

And, I am out zero dollars, because the SV and the USC are multitaskers anyway. All good!!!

I was just reading a really dry paper on DAAP

I came across an interesting tidbit of information Acetyl Propionyl (2,3-5 pentanedione) changes to Diacetyl with oxidation I wondered if this is the reason why Cap vc1 has to age for such a long time before tasting decent. Slightly off the topic but I did find it interesting.

I will keep that in mind if this fails to mature the VC recipe. And I don’t think it’s off topic at all, really.

MF’s are also notorious long-timers, and many of mine today use them. So I have more than just CAP VC for reference at least.

I can’t really comment on the VC1 because there is something in it that I can’t stand. Other custards I like but whatever chem is in Cap puts me off regardless of how long it aged.
I don’t feel like you were off topic.

I read the 1st 30 pages and got the jist of it. Interesting that It says “acetaldehyde, butyric acid, and acetoin, have been associated with adverse health effects” along with diacetyl. Especially butyric…so much for v2’s with butyric I guess. No loss to me.

I’ve been a fan of FlavourArt for quite awhile. The 2nd Busardo/FA video details the ongoing testing they do and I think is a worthwhile watch. I have some flavors with the “nasties” in them but not many and none that I vape all day. I’ve never had a concern about any FA and have always kind of felt that there is good reason why they avoid using these chems.

I’ll read the rest of that mess but also want to hear what others have to say.