Sous Vide 101 (and 202, 303)

Both, but not in that order.

No man, I’m terribly impatient with this stuff. I wish it was faster, but it’s probably worth it.

4 Likes

Wow! Cheaper than I was expecting it to be.

Looks nice!

4 Likes

OK, here’s the result of my impatience…

I am not going to test it tonight. Why? Because I’m pissed off from spending all these hours on it. Yes, I am so impatient that I am not even going to test it, to teach it a lesson for keeping me focused on it all day. So even though it is ready, nic’ed up, and bottled for vape use, I am going to make IT wait now like it made ME wait. Results to follow tomorrow.

5 Likes

YEAH!
That’ll learn it!
/shakes fist :laughing:

6 Likes

OK, so I’ve been able to test one so far, Creme. It is basically this… And @Grubby I promise I will migrate them all over here.

So whether this recipe suits you or not is irrelevant. What I do have is one time steeped one (best guess is 5 weeks) and the one made yesterday in the SVUSC.

Please don’t laugh and think I’m a clown. To me I can’t tell which one is which. I know you’re thinking I am biased, even unintentionally, but I don’t mean to be.

I know how this tastes S&V and it’s very much not in that state. I’m literally trying very hard to find a difference.

This is only one. I will test more as I can, as well as having the wife blind test as well. But first results are very surprising.

7 Likes

And I’ve just now tested Scotchie with the same damned results! Lord above and @anon96069639, I promise you all I am not making this up.

6 Likes

After I was done with the SV for the juices yesterday, I seared and seasoned a chuck roast and it’s been in it since 8:00PM CST last night. I’m hoping for similar good results with that as well…

6 Likes

cough Some folks already know that! :laughing: :wink:

Welcome! Glad you made it to the “dark side”! :hear_no_evil: :see_no_evil:
Oh wait! No darkness (store and forget) needed! Mea Culpa :laughing: grins

5 Likes

I think the other side has a rather steep cliff…

Now really though… I got the SV for $43. I got the USC for $35, Both are multitaskers. I spent around 6 .5 hours from start to finish and I have vape-ready juices. Who would not want to do this, exactly? Who would literally prefer to wait a month to try a juice?

6 Likes

Well, I dunno about you… But I’m used to being in the minority at this point. :wink: (Syringe use, long time heat use, ‘abnormal’ appliance use [USC], preferring a two year+ old and largely unpopular single coil atomizer [Theorem]… Etc etc)

Honestly though, we are a “fringe group” who sees things differently than “the majority”. And I’m fully and perfectly fine with that. I’m also happy to “live and let live” though, since what they do doesn’t affect me even one iota!

Love your enthusiasm though, and your getting positive results even more so!!

Amazing ride isn’t it? (This thing called DIY) grins

6 Likes

Well, me too, and I was firmly in the Time Camp even after hearing about these methods. I did not take them seriously until @anon96069639’ infectious enthusiasm made me look more closely. And since science isn’t a veil of magic, I was able to see and understand what’s been said about how juice matures. And oxidation/time do not play a role in the maturation process (unless you choose to let time be the process).

So this is really big for me, anyway. We can be The Outsiders, but we’ll have the juice ready first…

6 Likes

Well, some independent testing results are in… The wife and daughter tried three of these that I had three time aged ones already made. It was a pain in the ass to do it with all the cotton and multiple RDA’s, but worth it. Two Dead Rabbits and a 13/9.

First I asked them if they could tell anything different about them. My daughter couldn’t tell the difference. My wife could.

So, I took it further. In an intentional act of deception, I told her the new one was the old one, and vise versa. Then I asked which was better, and why.

She said she “knew” which was the older one because it was better, that she knew time helped it become more mature, smoother, etc. She got mad and quit the testing when I told her I revealed them backwards intentionally, claiming I tricked her. Said I was lying, too, and she knew which was which. But she clearly didn’t. She was right about the lying and the deception, but I wanted to be sure.

Results here show that A.) mechanical maturation is viable, and B.) the mind is easily tricked. This is why I switched them on the reveal. So from what I can tell, she actually couldn’t tell a difference. Her mind told her there was a difference that seemingly doesn’t exist in reality, especially since she was certain the new one was the old one. I don’t detect that these new juices are in any way ‘better’, simply they are the same. Which is exceedingly good news. And a far better result than I anticipated.

Oh, and one thing I consider a large bonus… they are much lighter than their aged counterparts because oxygen has not yet compromised the nicotine.

6 Likes

When I re-up my nic and bases here in a few weeks/month, I’ll be buying my nic separate so that I can try this too, don’t have any fancy equipment but I do have a candy thermometer so I can hit and hold some water at 160 to give my juice a bath in. Most all of what I vape is either custard, bakery, or cream based and I always try it at least once a week during my traditional month wait. I have at least 5 recipes that I am very familiar with and vape every day, and all need a month normally so I make a pretty good test subject lol.

6 Likes

2nd batch of latest method completed today. Different Recipe and the same results. Full flavor right out of the oven. I’m liking this portocal a lot and anticipate staying with it.

In regard to irritating people, I’m apathetic. To me these discussions are a poor excuse to become irritated and I consider the reaction a character defect. Not much I’m going to address with that.

5 Likes

Well while I agree with pretty much everything here my method is a little different and since most of the time, the aging time isn’t an issue, as a result, I don’t feel the need to use it all the time.

But this is what I do FWIW

Since my equipment is not quite the same - my method is a little different but really the same principle.

I heat my mixes (the ones I need fast) to only 50c and since I don’t have an SV I use a hot plate on the lowest setting (i have been eyeing off a nanoheat plate with a temp probe for a few weeks) but here tis.

I mix in 2 lt batches generally so everything is a little larger scale.

The hot plate is set to 1 and slowly heats the mix until I see a vortex forming at 400 rpm I manually turn off and on as required (why I want the nanoheat) to keep the vortex at roughly the same size and the temperature static at around 50c. I do this for around an hour.

While it is not a real indicator as you can see the two bottles look pretty much exactly the same. The bottle on the left is time aged since 15 Dec the bottle on the right with the bubbles is today’s mix

They taste identical blind tested (not today but previously)

7 Likes

I fell pray to the “no heat” professors in the beginning because it was stated with such confidence. I also had to take some time to understand why it was so important to add nic post heating. Love the overhead btw.

6 Likes

I think most of them just parrot information that has been passed by indian whispers - I have never been in the no heat camp but have always been in the excessive heat will damage a mix - and by excessive i mean really hot.

When i say vaping itself I really ment it the cloud forming from over cooking took over the mix room

6 Likes

Fish didn’t mean to break new ground, so please keep that in mind…

6 Likes

By the way, the chuck roast was c’est magnifique.

6 Likes

Anyone who may be interested, Amazon has this deal today. Mine was cheaper during Black Friday, but then this one has Bluetooth and an app and shit that mine lacks.

And it’s likely they recycle deals like this occasionally, so it will probably come back around again. It’s invaluable to me for mixing now, plus it makes some damned fine tucker.

6 Likes