Sous Vide 101 (and 202, 303)

Ok, @anon96069639,

This is the best batch yet. Bravo per your suggestions!

Mix VG,PG, flavors.

Heat to 142F

Homogenized starting slow. With the heated liquid it did develop enough suction to address the complete flask.

OoooPs, let the exhaust port of the homogenizer raise above the level of the liquid for an instant. Put in USC just long enough to dissipate the suspended gasses.

Allowed batch to cool, added nic and magnetic stirred for about 1/2 hour.

Hands down best batch right out of the hopper.

2 Strawberries, coconut, watermelon and a touch of sweetener.

6 Likes

That would make a huge difference for sure!

3 Likes

I did SV chicken breasts yesterday (hey, I am out of VG at the moment, why not eh? Man they were the most tender breasts I’ve ever felt. Um, well… you know what I mean. Even though I had only spiced them an hour or so before cooking it still permeated deeply, which is cool. I guess I’d need to sear them afterwards to get a better result since they were a bit mealy looking, but they were pretty dang good. Fresh asparagus also worked very well.

On the bright side, my Wonder Flavors order shipped yesterday so I’m really looking forward to these upcoming tests!!

6 Likes

Bravo! Ya, SueVe doesn’t brown. Sounds like a good first meal.

6 Likes

Maybe it wanted to visit Disney.

6 Likes

I don’t know… I kind of agree with the seller, once there is verified tracking info anyway. I don’t have the utmost confidence in the USPS, that’s for sure. Seller can’t control how the incompetent slugs in the mailroom route your stuff. That looks like standard USPS zig zagging to me. I watch packages get stuck in transit all the time. Maddening as it is, it is the carrier’s fault, not the seller’s.

Ask @woftam how pleased he is with the carriers handling his big concentrate order in Canada…

3 Likes

I wish that was true for me!! Twice last year I had packages lost in transit. Both for two weeks. When I filed a complaint with USPS, magically the next day they were back on track. I figure a package gets left in a bin or on a truck and is simply overlooked. I don’t like it, of course. But it happens. Worse for me though it the post office putting the wrong mail in the wrong box. Monthly we sort of play musical boxes with the neighbors. Lord only knows what mail I’ve never received…

As for the seller’s attitude, screw that. Sucks when you give someone money in exchange for goods and they cop a 'tude like you’re being unreasonable.

5 Likes

Total lack of professionalism… :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I was fixin’ to get those measurements for you, sorry.

Nice one! Looking forward to your thoughts. My VG comes today so I hope to mix today sometime.

4 Likes

Because I’m using mine for food too, I like the versatility of the weenie shaped one, but for a lab only that would be my prize! Nice.

3 Likes

All ready, more or less. Waiting for the postman to bring me my VG!

4 Likes

I got myself that workbench for Christmas. Not really, just saw it on one of those silly sales and figured I needed a real place that wasn’t the side of my desk. Folds up when not in use.

So… can you submerge the bottle or should it be in a bag?

3 Likes

Oh please, clearly he is saying that to throw off DIY mixers everywhere who may someday try to open their own business. What does that dude know??? It’s not like he runs a huge flavor concentrate manufacturer or something…

OK, the lads are taking a bath. Will be alternating shakes and USC trips throughout the afternoon. I did the sealed bag deal to see how that works.

Made the mistake of adding the nic already but that’s OK, I don’t think it will hurt anything. (Kidding, I didn’t. Just wanted to give y’all a cold chill).

4 Likes

Quick question… I know the correct temperature allows VG to interact chemically much more easily, but does the heat play any other role? As in, does heat not only get the VG to the proper temp for entropy to get rolling, but does it also encourage further chemical reactions along with the shaking/USC?

3 Likes

I can accept that. I ask only because I’m looking for an easy way (someone tells me) to figure out the best amount of time at 60c for full (enough) maturation to happen, so I can mix and vape the same day.

All told, the juices will have about 5.5 hours in the SV, 15 minutes in the USC, and as many minutes as my arm lasts of aggressive shaking. So in a nutshell, that is my first set of test parameters. I will know soon enough how well it worked.

I purposely made my Creme Brulee, which contains CAP Canilla Custard, a concentrate notorious for long steeping. It also has a dash of MF Vanilla. And furthermore, I have a time-steeped bottle ready to compare with. Looking very forward to it.

I should also add that I know well what all of the 12 recipes I have made today taste like as shake-n-vapes too. I always lose patience and have tried all of them the same day during previous mix sessions.

5 Likes

I would never think that, @anon96069639. I am doing this not because you told me to and made promises, but rather because I am ridiculously interested in this myself. Plus I do love the sciency stuff. Happy to be a guinea pig, totally.

And, I am out zero dollars, because the SV and the USC are multitaskers anyway. All good!!!

5 Likes

I was just reading a really dry paper on DAAP

I came across an interesting tidbit of information Acetyl Propionyl (2,3-5 pentanedione) changes to Diacetyl with oxidation I wondered if this is the reason why Cap vc1 has to age for such a long time before tasting decent. Slightly off the topic but I did find it interesting.

6 Likes

I will keep that in mind if this fails to mature the VC recipe. And I don’t think it’s off topic at all, really.

MF’s are also notorious long-timers, and many of mine today use them. So I have more than just CAP VC for reference at least.

3 Likes

Ya it is tough going - it isn’t going to change me using daap flavours as I figure I will always be under the levels I was when using analogues - I was actually searching for some unrelated information but it looked interesting so I started reading.

There are many flavours with these compounds in them and I have always wondered if the no DAAP camp were being conned a little with the BA and as you said there are health effects with both so I would guess the answer is a soft yes.

4 Likes

I’m to the cool down phase now, after which the nic will be added. I may be able to test this evening still.

4 Likes