Ogre spies a Grus UPDATED

Hey @ianc13 just wondering if you’ve tested your results with a non TC capable material like Nichrome or Kanthal on all 3 mods, and if that variance is still there?
I’ve seen a teardown video and those connecting wires look pretty thin and the ground wire … well :sunglasses:

4 Likes

The problem is actually a pretty simple one. These mods have a voltage comparator in them, circuits will vary. The internal resistance of the mod is factored against the load. This is exemplified in older HCigar mods where they would ship the mod without calibrating the DNA chip to the mod and the user had to do it if that user wanted a decent vape. So in laymen’s terms, the mod does not know it’s own internal resistance. Consequently, it can not measure the load accurately.

The TC ramp up issue is a different situation. The Grus is designed to ramp fast and hold. In your case that is masking a lot of flavor you used to get from a slower ramp. Because you can not adjust available wattage or TCR value, there is no way to change that ramp time.

The intensity of the vape could be compensated for by increasing wattage and temperature. Not the way it should be but it is a work around. The ramp time in TC is fixed, I’m sorry to say.

5 Likes

Could not tell you for sure. At higher wattages it may make a difference as the 40T may have less voltage sag under heavy load. Regardless, I never say never when it comes to perception. Perception is the bottom line. And yes, that is the rub, it is a premium mod in most aspects.

5 Likes

UPDATE

7 Likes

Thanks for the update @SmilingOgre, but I still want one hehe :ok_hand:
Funny my LV Centaurus reads resistance about 5% higher :thinking: (but that’s comparing to other mods, no scientific equipment here) Still love it :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Thank you for chiming in!! I’m with you on this one. I could push up the power just a bit. Besides that it’s a class mod. I’ve seen a couple of picks of black ones and they are sharp!

5 Likes

Also watched that and Vapesmarter replaced the OG wire to a more suitable guage. He’s also commented about the 510 being press fit as a possible issue.

5 Likes

Well @SmilingOgre you know I swore off buying Chinaman products. But I had to give this a go.

https://imgur.com/a/Ov9gMPo

So far so great. Hitting the single coil deck in the Aromamizer Plus V2 and it’s a lovely vape.

7 Likes

Dammit @SthrnMixer, that just looks all matchie matchie and good. What drip tip is that ?

5 Likes

Wonderful! Glad you got a good one! Looks sharp with the 30mm on top. Sweet set up.

4 Likes

Oh,

What do you think of the AP V2 with the single coil deck? I’ve been eyeing that but not sure if a single would be enough to fire that bad boy up. I think I’m going to go shopping now and try to get one of those decks.

4 Likes

It will be fine. The voltage setting is after the boost circuitry. The mod will limit the voltage if you set it too high e.g. 7V into a 0.15Ω load

4 Likes

That’s how we all learned it.

3 Likes

A regulated mod with boost circuitry has two sides, a supply side and a delivery side separated by the controller circuitry. In the example I gave setting the voltage for 7V would be asking the delivery side to provide 327W. The formula is W = E2 / R or 7 * 7 / .15. Now taking that wattage and applying it to the delivery side we get W = E * I or I = W / E. That is 327 / 4.2 (battery) which is 78 amps. The mod is not going to let that happen. No battery can withstand that kind of draw.

4 Likes

Kinda, sorta…

Only voltage can be measured directly. Everything else is calculated. The mod will use a test voltage to calculate the resistance of the atty. From there it will calculate the voltage necessary to deliver the set wattage to the coil. The displayed voltage may be either calculated or metered depending on the mod and chipset.

4 Likes

Came with the atty.

Depends on the coil used. I tried 24 and 22ga round wire. Neither did it for me. I have a big ass Juggernaut coil in this set up. Very sufficient. Splendid even.

When it comes to regulated mods, I don’t see it makes much difference except when using wire with a fairly dramatic Temperature Coefficient of Resistance (TCR). A lengthy discussion could be had here, but suffice it to say I got in the habit of setting voltage on mods which have this feature whenever I decided I didn’t HAVE to have Temperature Control when vaping Titanium wire.

6 Likes

The same thing happened to me when I reviewed the Joytech Espion mod, it blew me away with it’s TC performance, I thought wow, Joytech finally made an excellent TC mod. I picked up a second in gunmetal and ugh, TC was not even close, I wound up uploading Arctic Fox to the gunmetal.

It happens my @SmilingOgre brother, sucks but we all know that you’re not one to blow smoke, instead you always tell it like it is :+1:

Using my Grus in TC and have to run it at 470F to get the same vape that 430 usually gives me.

I just noticed that 21700’s with thicker wraps also don’t fit like the Golisi.

Overall the Grus is not a bad mod though, definitely a nice well built mod and some places have it for around $25, I would buy it again for that price.

5 Likes

Human brother @Mjag, Thank you! Like yourself, I try to give as honest of a review as I know how. I’m glad folks here do chime in and feel free to let it be known if they are seeing something different. How else would we know the whole story? A set point of 470°F to get an actual 430°F makes perfect sense as per what we are seeing here. I’d say your sense of temperature is bang on. You have a built in meter. If I had seen it for $25, I would have grabbed a second. I seriously am using this thing only since I got it. It really works for my Ogre hands. Good find on the thicker wraps as well!

7 Likes

@SmilingOgre

@Dan_the_Man posted about eight vape having the Grus for $20

I think it is a cyber Monday sale, 50% off all mods, pods and kits

6 Likes

Thank you brother! Snagged a black one with some wood on it!!!

6 Likes