Ogre spies a Grus UPDATED

Yes it does my friend, yes it does…

6 Likes

Darn it!! I have got to remember to mark posts that I want to participate in, to WATCHING.

@SmilingOgre I really like what you did editing wise. Don’t get me wrong, I love the review and even bought one.

I like how you added the spinning mod into your intro and I especially like the empty chair and the fade-in to you sitting in it. Very nice my friend.

LOVE the Tech stuff man. I would watch any of your 30 min videos if you do the testing and stuff.
I purchased one but I would have done it sooner if I’d watched the video sooner.
Damn near 8 wats!? That is awesome, isn’t it? It was the testing that sold me on it.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, my friend. Thanks.

7 Likes

Wow! I’m honored.

I hope you get a good one. The rub with this mod is some are coming of the line better than others. Having said that, even the ones that are reading resistances low are easily adjusted to perform well. Mine tested real well. Of course the final judgement is how often it gets picked up and it is in my hand as I type this. Glad you enjoyed the special effects. Being primarily retired, I have time to play around with stuff like that a little.

BTW, If you haven’t got OBS Studio yet, get it. Free software that’s well built. Great screen recorder. I used that with windows paint to point out parts of the temperature curve.

7 Likes

oh ya, I was gonna ask about that. Brilliant, I’ll go give it a look see. Thanks.

I have decided to do my video’s a bit different (again) LOL. Instead of having a video every week,
I think I’ll do a video and then make sure it is good. ei. lighting, audio, editing etc. I followed YouTube
(and others) advice. “upload every week” and I think I will try it different and see what happens.

Quality over Quantity instead of quantity over quality.

5 Likes

In as much as this is no more than a hobby for me, a shared hobby at that with other video projects, I just try to improve as I go along. I’m finally starting to get a handle on lighting. That was a big hurtle for me. Still a way to go before it’s perfect. I look around and see what I can do better. Last night I found where I can link in an ASIO driver to OBS so I can use a studio mic directly off of my mixer with the prog. Tomorrow I’ll play with that a little and see what I can come up with. Another thing I would like would be a cam of some sort. I’m not going to buy a webcam as I own plenty of cameras already. Just gotta figure out a way to get one of them integrated. I do videos as the urge hits me. I went for a long time doing none then I did the grus. Over the last couple days I did three for the VC channel just because I was in the mood. It’s a fun hobby and trying to do a little better each time is part of that fun for sure.

6 Likes

Oh man, me too! First, I need to get a handle on my audio. Like buying a decent mic. I still haven’t done that. I keep spending my budgeted money on vape stuff. I need to switch gears and get video stuff for a while.

There is a lot to know isn’t there? I find myself watching videos and paying attention to lighting, audio, and cuts and transitions. LOL. I have found that the video’s that get a lot of views are all spot on with audio, video, and lighting. I got a long way to go…

Oh ya, the VC vids are quite good and a neccesary tutorial I think. I’ll be transitioning to the VC calculator on my videos and social media. I really like their Vison and I want to be a part of it.

6 Likes

I like supporting this community. I find it a very enjoyable environment. I also find it much more open minded than most forums which adds to the enjoyment.

This little mic is a gem: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H2N--zoom-h2n-handy-recorder

It will plug up via usb and work directly with the pc and it is also a stand alone field recorder with both uni and omni pick-up patterns. It has a 1/4 - 20 at the bottom for any stand you want to use or it sits well on it’s own.

7 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the link myfriend.

Same here. It actually reminds me of elr in the early days.

5 Likes

I just ordered one! And a pair of Samsung 30T batteries from IMRBatteries.com for this. Another Christmas present to myself.

Thank you @Dan_the_Man and especially @SmilingOgre. Im hoping this will be another out of the park purchase, like the GC Homogenizer is! I love this Forum!!

6 Likes

I’m going to write them and ask them for a commission check.

6 Likes

I think you should.

4 Likes

We both know the answer we will get…

“ahhh ding dong yuk yuk fooey gooey! we no give money, you give money us!”

7 Likes

That had me rolling! Thanks, I needed that.

5 Likes

I realize the resistance read thing here is a little bit of old news, but figured I’d share my 411 just the same. I bought 2 Grus mods. Room temp atty first on the Aegis, then Gunmetal and SS Grus…

One Grus .01 ohms lower than the Aegis, one .02 higher. I can definitely live with that, and in fact have found over the years that fluctuations between mods for resistance reading is not at all uncommon. Of course, 10% is fairly dramatic. At the same time, if one is vaping low wattage normally, then it’s really not a problem to bump up the power in order to compensate.

That said, I’m being very stubborn with this mod. Being it’s a single battery, it would make a lot of sense to build coils, say, 0.5ish at the lowest. That’s just not me. But the mod does a good job of disallowing unsafe power to be applied - you gotta give props where they’re due. And in fact, my experience has been the vape from these is more than sufficient even when pushing the build. So I do thank the Chinaman for making this beautiful piece of kit, but @SmilingOgre more for the reviews.

#notunhappy

6 Likes

Wonderful!!! Thrilled to read you got a good one and like it. My thinking on this is dead on with yours. While 10% is on the edge or maybe a tad over, these devices are not dedicated milliohm meters. They are tiny compact electronic devices that do a lot of things. Every mod I have tested has deviated from what the milliohm meter reads.

Truly appreciate you posting your findings. Although this is a small sampling size, it gives me an idea of how these are coming off the line as a whole.

5 Likes

I’m rather fond of green.

7 Likes

Me too, and green seems like the color they usually leave out.

It looks good man.

5 Likes

I wanted the contrast. Too much black is too much.

5 Likes

Nice solid feeling device! I may have to dedicate this thing for single flavor tests but it seems like it’ll also fit real well in my pocket! Thanks for the awesome review! And thanks for the heads-up regarding the offer!

7 Likes

I brought my Grus to work today to check it out, it’s reading 0.17 on an actual meter checked 0.18 coil, so good here (my drag reads it at 0.20)
I forgot to grab my Molicels this morning and running it with an HB6 (18650) its a nice smooth vape but underpowered, I had to bump up to 70W where I usually never go above 65. Also only getting about 30 -35 puffs on a charge.
Will throw a 21700 in there when I get home, other than that I really like this mod and feels great in the hand :ok_hand:

5 Likes