Mixers You Use

Continuing the discussion from What was your worst flavor?:

Just a little side thread on the “Kinematica” @anon96069639 that looks awesome mate please let us know how it goes. Finding surplus stuff over here is hard to do and while they are not high shear I managed to pick up a few mixers myself a week or so back.

I have em all set up ready for this week’s mixing sesh - 3x IKA RW 20

15 Likes

Ya, they are. they have a remote temp probe that allows setting to whatever temp you desire the variation from the set temp and the actual temp is about 1 c they are AME Nanoheat HTL-901EX not cheap but a really good unit.

7 Likes

8 Likes

You nailed my thoughts all around. From what I can tell per observation, my 10mm generator will address about 70 cubic centimeters of juice. Very localized movement of juice around the roter. The Asian 18mm generator will address a full 125ml flask from a single position, I’m guessing about 3cm above the bottom of the flask. It creates what I can best describe as a parabolic movement pattern all the way around the roter. I believe this is largely due to the sloppy tolerances which appear to be beneficial to our application. Although I posted a picture including a crock pot for heating the VG, I have also moved to Sous Vide heater of a different style. Next time I mix I will snag a pic. Much faster and more accurate heating method. What I obviously can’t do is a direct comparison between @anon96069639 's probes and my Asian probe. Unfortunately I have only one testing device, my taste buds leaving my findings purely anecdotal and subjective.

Here’s a video that demonstrates my process. Please excuse the cheeky little digs in the beginning as this was made for another forum…

15 Likes

Wonderfull!!! That’s lookin a lot more like my Fung-Gooy probe. Each slot produces it’s own parabolic mixing pattern just like the peaks your seeing around the top of your pic. Can’t wait to hear your assessment of the finished e-juice!

10 Likes

Easy there my friend. This Ogre is following the lead of Master @anon96069639. You could think of me like Beaker.

10 Likes

Well, you’re not in this by shear luck…

6 Likes

However we got here, I’m convinced we’re in the right place. @anon96069639 has overcome massive resistance to be able to present his process @woftam has an understanding of the chemicals used in e-juice that simply blows my mind. I’ll be awhile wrapping my head around all that he’s published. That’s just naming two in this thread. This forum is a talent trust that is simply amazing.

9 Likes

There are a lot of variables involved in all of this both physical and psychological. First off, I never bonded with the term steeping. It’s what you do to tea. I try not to use the term. When I do a mix it is most often replacing the same recipe that is around a month old. It takes me about that long to vape 120ml of any one mix. If the mix being replaced was done with non heated VG and a mag stirrer the new mix done with heated VG and the homogenizer is consistently better right after mixing. If both mixes were done with heated VG and the homogenizer I perceive no difference. A mix done without heating and a mag stirrer will improve over time. To date I haven’t found a recipe that does not follow these results.

There is one caveat that I have not thoroughly discussed with @anon96069639 as of yet. After applying the homogenizer, I put the mix into an ultrasonic cleaner for 5 minutes. This too mixes but the reason for doing this is to expel the gas bubbles formed by the homogenizer. Right out of the USC many of my mixes are a tad harsh. Homogenizer manufacturers talk about a “settling time” after application of the homogenizer. I’m not sure how long that time is exactly. I let mine settle overnight. At that point they are 100%. I don’t find that necessary with SFT’s as the “harshness” is very minute and I can ignore that aspect as it will not effect a final mix. It consistently disappears after settling.

That is about all I can say with confidence. It’s obviously all anecdotal. I don’t use every flavor made. Per my experience I gain nothing from letting my mixes sit for extended periods of time.

9 Likes

We’re definitely seeing eye to eye. While I appreciate more scientific approaches to all of the disciplines involved in making e-juice, at the end of the day the final judgement will be made with my sense of taste. With the plethora of ingredients used in flavor compositions, I don’t want to negate the possibility that something may benefit from sitting in a way that our process does not replicate or replace. If such a case exists, I haven’t run across it. It is also unlikely that I will with the publication of my method. If challenged with a particular recipe from someone else, I will most likely decline performing testing as my focus is to make recipes that I enjoy, not necessarily promote my process. As you have contended however, this is a viable process that should command a degree of respect and consideration. With many here at VC it does but this is an exceptional group of folks. I will say this, I published my video on ELR and incurred no blow back. Now that I have written this watch, all hell will break loose, lol. I would hope that is an indication of some degree of acceptance not just a fear of being eaten by an Ogre.

I’m glad to see your interest in this method and would be thrilled to see others benefit from it as well. While $200.00 for a Chinese homogenizer may seem like a sizable investment when cast against the cost of the smoking habit, it is insignificant. @anon96069639 has landed some truly amazing deals on high end equipment as well. He guided me to finding a motor/generator combination that cost under $500.00. Again, affordable when compared to $100.00/ month habit. I absolutely love @woftam 's system but I am unwilling to attempt to generate income with my hobby at my age. Regardless, his system opens a lot of insight into the overall mixing process. I would love for @woftam to elaborate a little more on the high speed overhead mixers as I am imagining they share some of the properties that homogenizers exhibit.

6 Likes

Those were my suspicions but I really wanted and appreciate your opinion. I also wrote them off to unwanted volatiles. I can’t draw a comparison to “steeping” regarding this. Sorry, had to use the word to punctuate the political aspect of the differential.

6 Likes

Napping, resting, settling, reclining :rofl:

8 Likes

Now you’re talkin!!! I resemble those terms!!!

7 Likes

Oh, the humanity , and all the mixers screaming around there!

HE IS USING HEAT!

I think the world just stopped turning just for a second.

Mix 1

Mix 2

12 Likes

Lovin it!!! Dig the description of the one you have chosen. Almost sounds like “made for e-juice”. Been marching ahead with my current protocol with great results. I did find one combination, Apple Pie TPA and Vanilla Ice Cream Liquid barn that did benefit from sitting for 48 hours. No further change after that 48 hours. Obviously an accelerated production time still. That was a test batch of 15ml using the 10mm probe.

7 Likes

Well Done Walt! I’ve got that USC also…The only thing about it is the inability to ‘heat only’ and in that regard,hindsight is 20/20 :thinking: What is the brand of scale? My LB501 get’s the job done,but, usually takes 5-6 sec. to make up it’s mind. That beauty your using is decisive. I like it! Damn, I wish I had the space for a dedicated work area like yours…Very Nice!! :star_struck:

6 Likes

Sorry, was on a four day funeral mission. It’s a Fristaden Lab.

3 Likes

Sorry for your loss,Walt.

Thanks for the follow up :+1:t2:

3 Likes

I just got mine homogenizator and would try to test it.
How do you clean head after you’ve done with homogenization process? Also, how do you clean it between the mixing different liquids?

3 Likes

I use water and EA mix but run it in hot water for a couple of seconds on high will see it clean

4 Likes