Mixers You Use

Tnx @woftam I just wanted to prevent possibility of the rust… if it can occur… I bought it in China so I am not sure of the quality of the steel

3 Likes

Should be Stainless steel - see if a magnet sticks to it if it does make sure you dry it properly if the magnet doesn’t stick you should be golden.

Incidentally the use of EA when I clean mine helps it air dry quicker.

2 Likes

It seems magnet doesnt stick, so it should be fine. Tnx for that. Lets power it on!

For other homogenizator rookies:

In the instruction says: “IT IS FORBIDDEN TO RUN MACHINE AWAY FROM THE MEDIUM.” So dont power it on thin air.

I like to read manuals firstlly, but for those that doesnt, I think this is important information.

6 Likes

Well if you luv your gc like I do it’s the most important thing of all!!

6 Likes

Mixing speed with homogenizer:

I recentlly boght homogenizer and I notice that when I mix liquids they become tasteless. Really not good at all. I will try several speeds to see will that solve the problem. Any ideas or recommendations? I will check tommorow at what speed it is defenetlly not good

2 Likes

Wow! I don’t get that at all. I get more flavor than with any other method of mixing. Regarding speed, I start out slow and slowly turn up the speed to full speed. I let it run at that speed until I can no longer see any trails of the more viscus liquid then slowly turn it down. Also at that point the liquid is pretty much full of tiny gas bubbles.

5 Likes

@SmilingOgre What is the average time of your mixing? I tend to mix it for 4-5 minutes max… I tried today at 10 000 and it was good-ok, not good-great. I just forget to make one control sample to compare did homogenizer helped… But will do in following days.

1 Like

I tend to do about 1-2 mins Max and I go from slow and slowly ramp it up to a little past the medium setting on my rotary tool. I find that some mixes need that additional settling time overnight (8 hours) to really let the flavor pop. Also, getting the vg pre heated is very important.

3 Likes

Never any longer than a minute. You can crank the rpm up all the way. The higher the rpm the greater the shear force, the more complete the blending of different viscosities of liquid. Typical rpm for a homogenizer is between 20 and 30 k rpm. And, as @BubbasBrewz mentions, heat that VG. 60°C or 140°F works really well. This reduces the viscosity differential producing a more thorough blending.

5 Likes

tenor

100% what @SmilingOgre said.

I homogenize in 100ml bottles and never more than a minute, usually 40 seconds or so is enough.
@Philly I have no idea how it’s even possible to remove all the flavour by homogenizing, that’s the first time I’ve heard that, :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I actually thought the same the first time I started to mix with a homogenizer - first few mixes I tried were new batches of something I’d been vaping all week too. I thought it was me, and it turned out it was. Even the older steeped mixes tasted flavourless. I’d become vape-tongue blind to one of my flavours, and without it the same mix tasted quite watered down. After I got over that everything has tasted fine since; mixed this way or not (I still had a few steeping when I got around to making my tool, so I had plenty to compare against).

I don’t use a UC or anything like that to get the bubbles out, and one thing I have noticed is adding your nic too fast can add a pepper taste to the mix (probably not with salts) which can also give a flavourless impression. Some reaction is still going on and I don’t think it is air but I do (try) to leave mine to sit a full day before I add nic. At least at 70vg/30pg my mixes take a good 12 hours sometimes until all the micro bubbles are gone, so certainly not before this. I also didn’t used to heat my VG as I thought that could spoil the flavour, but after several counter-arguments I started to heat my VG first, and I get a much much better mix with a lot less run-time.

1 Like

I have the new GC Homogenizer but haven’t used it yet, still getting my mixing lab set up and need a heating source for the VG, thinking about a 1800 watt portable induction cooktop
For now I’ve been using the old Tornado II paint shaker followed by steep time,

6 Likes

I’ve been using a coffee mug warmer works like a charm and gets it up to 114 easily… :grin:
Or 50c whichever country your in

5 Likes

All the wonderful discussions I have missed.

That’s a good idea. I need to start doing that. Set up a day to mix, even if I don’t feel like it.

4 Likes

NICE!!! Do you really use that to shake you liquids?

3 Likes

Yeah Dan, liquids :ok_hand: (for solids, eh, not so great) :wink:
Works great and saves my old sore arms and coppel tunnel wrist

4 Likes