Let's talk TC (Temperature Control)

Ok. I’m confused. :crazy_face:
I was obviously thinking Gbox was Smok for some reason. :thinking:

3 Likes

Geekvape. But just picking nits really. It’s the only GV thing I’ve ever owned but it’s not like I’m foolishly loyal. If it’s crap, it’s crap. Just haven’t seen this on the other atty.

3 Likes

Which is funny, because my Laisimo does it. Which is technically Sigelei-Laisimo. Semantics!!!

3 Likes

Anytime I read “resistance jumping around” or “it automatically jumps out of TC mode”… My mind has automatically started to wander to “Sounds like it might have a Joyetech chip powering things…”

(Though I know they’re not the only one to exhibit such symptoms, they are among the most common, and majority sold it seems)

3 Likes

Oh I hear you!
I’ve been trying to make sense of that situation for awhile. It’s like they’ve split the house down the middle.

Laisimo for the products that work (at least to some degree, though they’re still building a track record), and so they can distance themselves from the earned reputation of the TC fiasco with Sigelei.

And Sigelei, to continue to milk the old school (entrenched reputation) for those who don’t care about TC.

“Win win” (is what they seem to be thinking).
At least that’s my little 2¢ worth.

4 Likes

Yeah, it is funny how TC can vary so widely within a brand, do they contract someone different to do the TC for each and every mod? Even with Sigelei if I remember correctly my Sigelei Snowwolf 365 4 battery beast does decent TC, the Fuchai Duo nope, not even close like most Sig mods. Laisimo is hit or miss as well but when they get it right it is rather enjoyable TC.

Even with the same mod there can be drastic differences in TC. I remember one friend telling me TC didn’t work at all with a mod we both got at the same time. I wound up making him a YT vid with an RDA to show him how mine worked and compared it to the G Class. He had also got a Captain mod, pre-production with the press fit 510 and railed that they were all like that. I took my post production one apart to show him that they replaced it with a nut secured from under. Now he adds disclaimers (not sure if he still does) to his reviews letting people know that what he receives may be different then what is the final production product. It only makes sense, we can only review what is in front of us and I have reviewed products that were later changed prior to release, Laisimo F4 comes to mind.

3 Likes

Guess what, unsurprisingly I am yet again shown to be an idiot. My problem was not the mod nor the Bunny. When I re-assembled the GBOX after painting, apparently I failed to fully tighten the 510. I shouldn’t tell you this because it’s makes me look a plum fool, but I am what I am. Funny how a tight connection changes everything…

5 Likes

Yay for finding the problem and fixing it! :tada:

5 Likes

A reminder to us all… double check fittings… :+1:

2 Likes

Just curious as i do not own any dna mods. I have been reading up on the new replay function - i do not use TC a whole lot.

@SmilingOgre I noticed you mention a few times that the temp reads low. Does the dna chipset have an ambient temperature setting (the yihi do) I was just wondering if this could be a factor of the low reading ?

2 Likes

Yes they do. I really need to get out of my funk and do some testing on my DNA’s to see if I can figure it out. I’m not sure I understand everything I know about this. I need to try some different coil configurations, do a little more up-front battery testing, etc. One thing they changed in Escribe lately is the ability to measure a dead short at the 510 making it difficult to get an accurate internal resistance measurement of the mod. Once I either adjust the temp setting or the TCR setting to compensate the DNA mods are consistent. I really need to dig in a little more and see what’s up.

4 Likes

Now your talkin. I haven’t mentioned my opinion regarding the “numbers” because so many folks hold them as bible and that is fine but I see the numbers or settings as guidelines? When it comes down to it, it’s the temperature of the vapor coming out of the atty that you feel. There are so many variables between that temperature and the actual temperature of the wire. You are right, it comes down to this atty and this juice give me the vape I like with the TCR set to xxx and the Temperature set to XXX on this mod.

As far as a scope on the replay function, I’m sure it will give “hints” as to what the firmware is doing as does going into puff records in the mod. To get an accurate reading on the scope of an actual “puff” which is what replay is all about would be logistically difficult, very difficult. The scope uses leads that are insulated from stray signals and are therefore very cumbersome to attach to a fully assembled atty. Obviously drawing from such a wired up mess would also be a trick. Were I to just sneak in some small gauge wire through the air intakes the only thing I would get on the scope screen would be massive noise. Erratic spider webbed graphics. That’s why even DJ publishes scope screen shots of TC which are vague indicators of how the TC is working and not the TC in action during an actual puff or draw.

There’s a lot going on inside those little atties that would be wonderful to discover but damn difficult. Even Morton Oens studies are subjective as his models are not real life atties. I’ve often thought it would be great to design a top cover for an atty that would accommodate test leads and be made of glass for actual airflow studies. I just don’t have the skills to make such an item.

4 Likes

May we finally be seeing the beast emerging from his self-induced hibernation streak?? All right! Keep it up guys, you’ve just about got him past the funk!

2 Likes

I know, right? And no good reason for it. Hard to figure.

3 Likes

It finally clicked in my head, @SmilingOgre are you using the stock evolve SS316 profile when you get these low readings? I have always found the stock setting to be inadequate and before used my own profile for SS316 but found DJ’s and have since just used that, makes a big difference. This now makes sense, I forgot that I change out the SS316 profile almost immediately when I get a DNA mod…I need to sleep more…lol

3 Likes

I do go grab Dj’s or BYO at least up until now. I haven’t with the 250C as I want to finish testing it as it comes from Lost Vape. It baffles me why they would ship it with a faulty TCR when they wrote the firmware that uses the TCR. I simply want to ensure I’m not missing something.

4 Likes

That is a good point, I wasn’t planning on reviewing the Paranormal but may do a review on just the Replay aspect once I have a chance to get into it. The last and only DNA I reviewed was the Therion DNA75C BF and that was already loaded with DJ’s profile out of the box and I used it without plugging into escribe.

Good idea on just testing with it’s out of the box settings, really looking forward to your review on it!

3 Likes

I think I will go ahead with a review. Up until just now I hadn’t decided if I wanted to or no. The replay portion will be sketchy as I really can’t test it much beyond perception. If you want to do a colab that would be great too. I’d be more than happy to just do the electrical testing.

3 Likes

Your going to nail the tech on this way better than I ever can, I would be more interested in your review than mine :wink:

Maybe I just link your youtube vid into my review of the Replay function? Your vid would be best as a full review, not just tech. I really just need to find the time to actually use it though, I am so far behind right now.

3 Likes

Ok, we can go that way. I have more testing to do so it won’t be right away.

4 Likes