Let's Make Porridge!

Inspired by @SessionDrummer’s SFT notes on Chefs new oats SC:

What milk/milks and/or cream/creams would folks pair up with what sounds a great authentic oats to make the perfect porridge?

Also this could be extended to add your guilty sweet pleasure whether jam, maple syrup or maybe just some Brown sugar?

8 Likes

Well the first thing that comes to mind is Cornish Cream SSA

I don’t even know what a Porridge is :man_shrugging:
I’ve had Oatmeal, rolled oats cooked in water, usually with milk and cinnamon / maple syrup

6 Likes

Yeah Porridge is oats cooked usually in Milk to create a pudding which is classed this side of the pond as a hot cereal i am sure you have the same over there just call it something else to try and make it your own but the whole idea of simmering oats in milk to produce a pudding originates from Scotland and is called Porridge!

7 Likes

These are porridge oats so if you cook these in Milk (can sub some milk for water) and call it Oatmeal we are talking the same thing!

7 Likes

Not used any SSA concentrates, Cornish anything diary based as my taste buds tingling!

5 Likes

Actually I’ve never been a big fan of Oatmeal :rofl: but may be interesting in Vape form, definitely would need some Maple Syrup Candy WF :yum:
TBH, the first thing I thought of looking at the OATS was ORC….
(Oatmeal Raisin Cookie) but an Oatmeal Raisin Porridge may be a hit :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

There you go that just reminded me i went through a fad of throwing raisins into my porridge, it was really nice! Over here other common things is to put a spoon of jam on top or even drizzle Honey or Golden Syrup!

6 Likes

As did i until reading @SessionDrummer’s notes who describes it more as a raw rolled oats rather than bakery!

5 Likes

Yeah that’s why I thought it would be perfect to build a cookie, adding the raisin and bakery…
As far as porridge (oatmeal) I’ve only ever had it with maple syrup or peanut butter on top,
Now besides the oat, I need to find a raisin flavor :smiley:

5 Likes

Lol, we just are not as adventurous when it comes to Peanut Butter! Apart from having it in a sandwich or on toast that’s about it although i did make a really nice Peanut Butter fudge once i would love to try as an e-liquid!

6 Likes

Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever had porridge !!!

6 Likes

Those “Quaker Oats” simmered in milk to make a pudding!

6 Likes

Ahhhhh ok, ok @Timwis. @Rocky02852 ever nuked a envelope of Quaker Oats in milk in the microwave ??

6 Likes

6 Likes

Yep just branded differently it would say “Instant Porridge” rather than “Instant Oatmeal”, as mentioned the idea originates from Scotland where having porridge first thing in the morning is still very common!

6 Likes

Without actually testing any pairings, a shot in the dark for the milk might be a 50/50 of TPA Dairy/Milk, with OOO’s Cream (Milky undertones). OR, if you were NOT a fan of TPA’s due to some almost powdered milk notes, one could use a 50/50 FA Milk with OOO Milk. This of course would then scream for some TPA Brown Sugar Extra, and/or FA Maple.

6 Likes

And that box is Maple & Brown Sugar but in our supermarkets we have about 20 variants of Quaker oats and plenty of other brands!

6 Likes

I like that Combo :+1:
I’ve never steamed oatmeal in milk, only water. Then added Milk

Maple Syrup Candy WF is the only Maple I’m ever gonna use anymore…

5 Likes

I think “whole milk” can be hard to exactly reproduce, and while I LOVE FA Cream Fresh, it feels out of place here. FA Meringue in small quantities would work, but only if used lightly.

6 Likes

Hehe, DAMN U, as I don’t have that yet hehe. I’m trying to find my notes on FA’s Mape vs. Maple Syrup now…

5 Likes