Chefs Super Concentrates Single Flavor Tests by SessionDrummer

This sounds like it will work well in combo with Capella whipped marshmallow or WF marshmallow Gooeyyyyyyyyy! :+1: Another great informative write up!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot Tim.

1 Like

Milk Fresh (CSC) 1.5% (6-20-21) – Milks, milks, milks, the bane of my testing hehe. Why ? Solo’d they can be fair non-descript, and their true power is in mixes wherein they temper/smooth/cream up recipes. Chef’s as a solo was fairly non-descript, and almost presented as more an almost powdered milk. This aspect could be smelled more than tasted. Just at mid level sweet, it didn’t feel overpowered at 1.5%. Semi creamy, with a slight mouthfeel, and did not have a strong dairy note like TPA’s. All in, this was a relaxed Milk flavor, that had aspects of a powdered milk. 7.9/10.

5 Likes

Mint (Fresh (CSC) 1.5% (6-20-21) – Whew, we’ve got some cooling in this one (coming from a non-cooling guy). As far as a “fresh” mint, I didn’t get an entirely “fresh” from this one, but also got more of a candied mint, or almost a Wriggley’s Double Mint Gum mint. It presented as almost a 50/50 mix of the two. Initially the cooling was pretty intense, but as the test wore on, it subdued a bit. Sweetness was slightly above mid level, and that might be what helped pull the candied mint profile more forward. Tasted good at 1.5%, and nothing off-putting, and I was continually reminded of Wriggley’s gum. Not a gum flavor, but the flavor profile(s). Minor take offs for the fresh/candy split, but it was good as it stood. 8.7/10.

5 Likes

Mojito (CSC) 1.5% (6-20-21) – Ironically while testing this Mojito, I was HAVING a Mojito, so this was going to be interesting. Having just tested Chef’s Mint Fresh, I had assumed it would be in here, and it was. This flavor had the same nice mint, somewhat sweetened, paired with a great lime. Missing however was the Rum, unless it was so low in the mix as to be undetectable. It tasted perfect at 1.5%, and was above mid level sweet, and the pairing of the mint and lime were nicely done with neither overpowering the other. As a virgin Mojito, wasn’t bad at all, and clearly you could spike up some rum if needed. Minor takeoffs for the missing rum, as the rest was very spot on. 9.1/10.

5 Likes

Oats (CSC) 1.5% (6-20-21) – I think it’s safe to say I was COMPLETELY unprepared for this flavor. Not a lot of oats out there, because it’s HARD to get right. I assumed this would be some general bakery with grains, passed off as a “kinda close” flavor. Boy was I wrong. FULL on, OATS !!! No puffed wheat, not corn, not AP, OATS !!! It made me immediately think of Quaker Oats, no questions, no hesitations. Below mid level sweet, and the best part, it wasn’t FLAVORED. Blank slate, spot on oats. That’s it, that’s all. Was delicious at 1.5%, and man, the opportunities to use this one will be endless, and you could tweak to your hearts content. This, ladies and gentlemen is an impressive flavor, and I’m glad I added this one to the list. If you want some spot on oats, nicely sweetened, this is the one you should get. Full stop. 10/10.

7 Likes

Great write up, i can see many after reading this will be working on some porridge recipes, i deffo will!

3 Likes

How would you rank this in competition to Inawera’s Mojito?

2 Likes

Thank you @Timwis. As far as the INW Mojito, sadly I don’t have it, so I can’t offer anything on that front.

2 Likes

I don’t get that option…I am too far away…it really sucks so I got currency then if I order too heavy I also got customs. And I realized my dollar and the euro is literally 2 to 1 which is like 100.00 turns into 170.00 for nothing. But it’s worth it and im doing it. Better to have something I will forsure use :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Looks like I need to try the Oats

Thanks for the write up SD

6 Likes

You’re very welcome @Dan_the_Man, thank you.

2 Likes

Peanut Butter (CSC) 1.5% (6-22-21) – Good Peanut Butters are out there, but they can be hard to find. Typically PBs fall into two categories, Dry and Salty, or Creamy and Sweet. Chef’s seems to have figured out how to MERGE the two !!! Yes, an almost perfect combination of a creamy, sweet, salty, peanut butter with some dryness which added to the complexity. At 1.5% it was full, present, and delicious, with nothing out of place. It was about mid-level sweet, and leaned slightly towards the creamy sweet, but only slightly. No bitterness could be found, and there was a certain earthy-ness that kept it grounded. Soup to Nuts might just be applicable here, as this one covered a lot of bases, and checked most of the boxes. I think it could be best summed up like a Creamy Jif peanut butter paired with crunchy salted nuts. With it’s authenticity, complexity, and dual personalities I could see many uses for this one. Easily 9.75/10.

7 Likes

Vanilla Ice Cream (CSC) 1.5% (6-24-21) – 2nd to last on deck in this huge series of Chef’s new SC’s. My initial reaction to this was, “This might be the BEST Vanilla Ice Cream” I have ever tried. 10ml later, that hasn’t changed, and that’s kind of a big deal. At 1.5% this one was a real show stopper, which had all the notes needed to convince you of it’s namesake. Missing were some of the commonly found dairy notes in some flavors, that were dairy, but not really Ice Cream. Chefs did a really bang up job on this one. Incredible mouthfeel for an ice cream, and while not “buttery” like another well known VIC, it didn’t need it, you didn’t miss it, and actually you didn’t even WANT it. I’m still trying to wrap my head around this one, but needless to say, all the players were here, creamy, rich, present, but not overbearing vanilla, and loads of mouthfeel. A few ticks above mid sweet, and no pepper, no off notes, no nonsense present. For a great, clean vanilla ice cream that truly captured all aspects of a VIC, this one should be on your rack. For anyone else, it should be on YOUR rack too !!! I would rate it at 10.1/10, but I promised I’d never do that again. Easily, 10/10.

5 Likes

Great write up, i have ordered some of these and i included this one, 10/10 back of the net! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hehe, thanks very much @Timwis. As always, I’d be very curious to hear what you think.

4 Likes

Dang it! Now I need to submit an order.

2 Likes

That 10.1/10 was that a Spinal Tap moment! :sunglasses: :rofl:

2 Likes

6 Likes

Waffle (CSC) 1.5% (6-27-21) – With this Waffle, this massive first run of flavors from Chefs will be completed. I have tested more than a few Waffles, and when I smelled this one, it immediately reminded me of a now discontinued INW Waffle-YC. Having never solo’d INW’s I can’t do a direct A/B comparison, but suffice it to say this one was very good. Missing were some of the almost cake-y notes that some waffles have, and in turn this one had some great mid and dark tones to it. It was more like a whole wheat waffle than a lighter one. No overt wheat, but the grainy notes, and slightly thicker, darker-ness was easily observed, AND enjoyed. No sharp edges, or off notes, and was a little below mid level sweet. No overt butter or syrup, and that left it as a deliciously blank waffle canvas to work with. I really enjoyed the darker richness of this one. At 1.5% it almost felt like it could use a smidge more, but was in no was lacking. All in, this one presented as a great, somewhat darker, almost whole wheat waffle with some smoother, lighter notes. High points given for no obvious butter or syrup, leaving it ready to work. Easily a 9.5/10.

6 Likes