Let's make a Lemon Custard!

I’ve never tried this in a custard, but really enjoy this one. I get a soft serve ice cream from this.
Works great with VTA Sweet Cream and Vanilla Buttercream Frosting and doesn’t mind playing with bakeries. So it may not go astray in with custard, loves fruits.
That combo comes across as a whipped cream icing soft of thing like that used in between the layers of a sponge cake with strawberries and cream. :drooling_face:

5 Likes

Some great notes there @marsh8 D.Marsh. I ordered FW VBIC along with both VTA Vanilla cream and Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. The idea was to try an ice cream in with the custard. That icing note might work well in a custard, eh? :smile:

5 Likes

That I have tried and just a touch (less than 1%) worked wonders in with custard.

I do have FW VIC but never tried it.

4 Likes

Well that makes two of us (when mine arrives). I suspect it’s sweet and DAP. I wonder if it has similar properties to LB VIC? It probably won’t be as buttery.

4 Likes

This thread has given me cravings for Lemon Drizzle cake and custard!

6 Likes

Funny thing about Custard and me…I cant say that ive actually knowingly ever tried Custard IRL …Ive had donuts with cream filling but I always thought that was Bavarian Cream ??? I think I need to actually have a bowl of Custard sometime

5 Likes

Baked custard is even better in winter, it sort of comes out the same consistency as jelly (not as in peanut butter and jelly the other sort don’t know what you guys call it.)

8 Likes

We have custard tarts that are baked with the custard having a jelly like consistency, lovely with Nutmeg on top!

7 Likes

Jello

6 Likes

It is, and the natural lemon is really good as well.

7 Likes

I’ve just gone back to taste the recipe I posted above, one surprise is the brown sugar note running through the mix. It does need a boost of lemon, but only a little… go the MF @Fiddy (why did I doubt those instincts :thinking:)

Not bad just needs some minor tweaks

On a side note, the fella at work is in for a surprise I told him I was giving him that mix. Turned out he got a Butterscotch mix I hadn’t tested properly :rofl:

4 Likes

Just an update having tested the mix below after a 12 day steep:

First thing that strikes my is it obviously needs to be more creamy with some fatty notes and volume.
The lemon is lovely and tart mostly due to the VTA Lemon Meringue Tart.
I need to re test (FA) Lemon Sicily SF to nudge my memory to see which notes are which.
Personally I would like the lemon to be more of a syrup. I do get some grainy notes but pretty sure that would be smoothed over with the addition of a cream.

All in all it’s good and heading in the right direction.
Again, thank you to all who’ve chimed in :pray:

8 Likes

Please let us know what you’ve settled down on, after the tweaking

5 Likes

For sure !! :grinning:

Actually, Molinberry Cheesecake crossed my mind. It’s creamy and has a nice lemon note. Using this in support with FA Custard and maybe this’ll be enough? This theory obviously needs testing.

4 Likes

Yeah, no.I figure the Molinberry Cheesecake would not work at all, or I would already have it in my stash…
Wanted to save you the trouble… :scream:
(just kidding)

4 Likes

Lemon is my favorite flavor of all and I’ve tried a few of them. I’ve found that putting three or more together just muddies things up. The mix I’ve been using lately is pretty good for hitting a more realistic lemon flavor. It’s Lemon FE and SSA Natural Lemon at a 3:1 ratio. The latter one is pretty damn strong and I’ve landed on .6% as the best flavor.

8 Likes

@natbone …, do u try any commercial juices? Probably not, but if so… u should try Lemon Nomenon by Lotus Vaping Tech… it’s pretty damn good…, when I first started DIY, I told myself I was gonna clone it…, went looking about all the liquids… & never even thought about a lemon flavor… just different shit here & there, & I still haven’t tried mixing with lemons;(… I did try some lemon tart clone & it was pretty good tho;…

4 Likes

Hey… this shit is pretty damn good!.. Thanks mate!

2 Likes

Although… I subbed the Meringue with FAs at 2%… this was a damn good try for a clone

3 Likes

I haven’t bought commercial in almost 4 years. Last year a friend gave me 30ml of DLLT because of it’s reputation. I gave it back to him with 25ml left in the bottle. It just didn’t taste good to me.

I just checked the site and I could never bring myself to spend $22 on a bottle of juice. Just can’t do it. :smiley:

7 Likes