Let's make a Lemon Custard!

@lukeloop again, thanks. Nevens is obviously a divine point of reference :slight_smile:. His LMP is fast becoming legendary!. Iā€™m missing the Molinberry Lemon Tart from his custard. Iā€™m gonna mix what I can from others and make one from the collaboration so far. This is what Iā€™m thinking. Please let me know what you think and what youā€™d do differently to suit more your tastes:

• Cream (FLV) 1%, * Custard (FA) 2%, Custard (INW) 2%, Lemon Meringue Tart (VTA) 2%, Sour Lemon (VTA) 1.5%, Sweetener (TPA) 0.75%, Vienna Cream (FA) 1%.
5 Likes

@PAPACHiGLY Iā€™m not sure you would need the sweetener the Lemon Meringue Tart is fairly sweet for me

4 Likes

@woftam Noted & dropped the sweetener, thanks :pray:

3 Likes

It might be controversial but I do not like FLV Cream. The VT sour lemon is great but candied, depends on what you are going for. This would be more appropriate in curd or something like a sweet lemon filled donut. I have never had a lemon custard in real life so not sure. I think once you have your custard base you can then just add your preferred lemon a little at a time. I actually find that creams and citrus can actually clash so keep it delicate. I would be willing to ty 3.5% FA custard, 2% TFA Custard V2 ( for support and some vanilla ) then add the VT LMT and see if it needs anything else. I am hesitant to add WF lemon custard as sometime 2 different types of lemons can actually interfere with each other. In something like this maybe less is more.

6 Likes

@lukeloop great stuff! So drop the FLV Cream and maybe FLV Marshmallow Vanilla in itā€™s place? The idea is to bring in some volume but saying that the FLV MM may make it too sweet!? Maybe use only Devon Cream CCW as the only cream? It would give volume, cream and butter.
Also, swap out VTA Sour Lemon for FA Lemon Sicily.

Edit: Also swap out INW Custard for TPA Custard II or (FA) Custard Premium.

So I went ahead and mixed the following:

• Custard (FA) 3.5%, Custard Premium (FA) 2%, Lemon Meringue Tart (VTA) 2%,
    Lemon Sicily (FA) 1.5%, Vienna Cream (FA) 1%.

Iā€™m terrible at applying the rule ā€œless is betterā€, but I think itā€™s best to see where we stand with whatā€™s used so far. Obviously itā€™ll need a steep. Please join in mix a concept yourself and share :slight_smile:

5 Likes

FA lemon sicily fades very fast, maybe add that after the steep or try a different lemon.

6 Likes

@Letitia ok, so what would you suggest in itā€™s place?

Edit: Here is another concept taking onboard the suggestions so far :

• Custard (FA) 3.5%, Custard (TPA II) 2%, Lemon Cream Wafer (Chemnovatic) 2%, Lemon (Chemnovatic) 1.5%, Cornish Cream (SSA) 1%.

I personally only have Custard (FA) from this lol but all the flavours are going to be ordered. If anyone has experience with these, would be awesome how youā€™d see them fitting in the recipe :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Well I donā€™t care much for an eggy custard but for a yogurt I enjoy using INW lemon 2% + INW lemon mix 0.3%.

6 Likes

@Letitia awesome! Youā€™ve got experience with INW. Heard good things about INW Lemon Kicks . I wonder if that would fit the profile? BTW what are you using for your yogurt? I personally like a combo of FLV Greek Yoghurt and MOL Creamy Greek Yogurt. Itā€™s fairly full on sour but pretty tasty!

Edit: Just read Lemon Kicks INW is a sprite type, so obviously wouldnā€™t fit in a custard. My muppetry strikes again!

4 Likes

Iā€™ve mixed something Iā€™ll share. Dabbled with this profile a while back but never got it exactly where I wanted it.
Resisted adding MF Lemon straight up, so Iā€™ll see where it sits from here.

6 Likes

@marsh8 Hey there D. Marsh :smile: That looks damn fine! I forgot about WF Lemon Squares. I really like the lemon note in that. Is it similar in their Lemon Custard?

6 Likes

For Greek this is my usual yogurt base; all %
HS cream 0.70
TFA greek yogurt 4
sometimes Iā€™ll add some FLV smoothie base 2 or WF frozen yogurt 2-3

Plain creamy yogurt
HS cream 0.70
WF mascarpone 1
FW yogurt 3

6 Likes

SSA juicy lemon is worth looking at :wink:

8 Likes

Iā€™ve read that, any fade?

5 Likes

I wouldnā€™t say it fades, it loses the rindy taste but the lemon stays :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Never resist my friendā€¦Even a drop or 2 per 30ml will make any lemon concentrates better lol

5 Likes

Yeah, I get a very similar lemon note from these two. That was part of my thinking when I mixed it.

I do think Iā€™ll add a drop or two, should have trusted those instincts :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Maybe some brighter Vanilla like French Vanilla could brighten the custard to embrace the lemon.

4 Likes

@SteveTC Iā€™ve got Vanilla Cream VTA on order. Some notes say itā€™s on the darker side but not spicy.This along with Vienna Cream FA could smooth-en out the bakery, bringing it back in a custard.

5 Likes

yes, to the Vienna Cream, or Maybe TPA VCII or FLV custard or Flavorah Custard-depending on the goal.
just offering my 2 cents

3 Likes