Interesting recipes for making nic salts

Continuing the discussion from Sous Vide 101 (and 202, 303):

@anon96069639 - didn’t want to derail the Sous Vide thread but I found some interesting methods used for making nic salts . I can’t place my finger on the source right now but TBH I was a little taken aback

Nicotine salicylate salt
formulation can also be made by adding 0.43 g salicylic acid to a beaker followed by adding 0.5 g nicotine to the same beaker. The mixture was stirred at 90° C. for 60 minutes
until salicylic acid was completely dissolved and an orange oily mixture was formed. The mixture was either cooled to ambient conditions or kept at 90 C when 9.07 g. PG/VG (3:7)
solution was added. The blend was then stirred at 90° C. until a visually homogenous formulation Solution was achieved with no undissolved chemicals

Nicotine benzoate salt formulation:
0.3 g benzoic acid was added to a beaker followed by adding 0.4 g nicotine to the same beaker. The mixture was stirred at 55° C. for 20 minutes until benzoic acid was completely
dissolved and an orange oily mixture was formed. The mixture was cooled down to ambient conditions. 9.7 g PG/VG (3:7) Solution was added to the orange nicotine benzoate salt and
the blend was stirred until a visually homogenous formulation solution was achieved.

Nicotine benzoate salt formulation can also be made by adding 0.3 g benzoic acid to a beaker
followed by adding 0.4 g nicotine and 9.7 g PG/VG (3:7) solution to the same beaker. The mixture was then stirred at 55° C. for 20 minutes until a visually homogenous formulation
Solution was achieved with no undissolved chemicals.

5 Likes

Oh I wasn’t calling you out mate in anyway. I personally was a little stunned at the 90c but i guess when mixed with the acid it oxidises less? I don’t know if or why.

5 Likes

I just had some salt nic rust on me. I’ll put like 10ml in a gorilla bottle for mixing. After maybe 3 months of sitting out it started turning color. Nic in a brown bottle in the fridge stays clear.

5 Likes

Absolutely, for me it’s just a little less throat irritation. I’m down to 2% also so the difference may be negligible. I just have a ton of salt in the freezer to use up. Maybe more than I can use up, lol.

5 Likes

My first question when reading your first post was “are they using powdered nic or liquid nic”?

Not that I have any clue what difference it would make AFA oxidation goes. Only that I suspect there might be a difference.

3 Likes

Recently switched to salt nic for a friend who drives out to AZ every weekend. He was complaining his juice was getting dark quick and told him to not leave juice in his car. He also complained of the flavor fading when it got dark, think it was mostly in his head but who knows. So far the salt nic has been working for him.

Really loving the salt nic from LNW, made a 3mg batch for myself, can’t vape 3mg freebase nic anymore but the salt nic is excellent. I am pretty much only going to order LNW salt nic from here on out.

As far as mixing with the GC and heat I made that 100ml 3mg salt nic juice and added the salt nic prior to using the GC and no ill effects at all. Prior to that I would wait like @anon96069639 does to add freebase nic once the juice cools. The heat doesn’t seem to have a negative effect with salt nic, 2 weeks of vaping that mix and it is clear and no signs of oxidation.

6 Likes

I’ve considered dropping the nic for a test as well. I think I still crave nic but with no where near the intensity of when I smoked. If I’m engaged in something, I can go hours without thinking about vaping. Obviously, it could also be purely psychological. At the end of the day, I consider what I now know the effects of the nic I use are and feel no need to change anything. The nic is pretty much innocuous.

6 Likes

I’m using the LNW salt as well and really enjoy it. It can obviously oxidize after long periods of sitting out, but it has not effected any of my regularly vaped mixes. I guess they don’t sit long enough.

5 Likes

Good God! If it came out like Jello, who knows what it was. Sadam’s death goo? Adding nic post mix wouldn’t bother me a bit. I just haven’t had any problems with the protocol I use. I’ve sucked down a shit load of “GC” juice now with zero complaint. Best juice I’ve had bar none.

5 Likes

I think that’s the best answer. I do think salts have a lesser tendency to oxidize but I have no way to qualify to what degree or under what circumstances that is.

Rofl, ya, and a few wires crossed somewhere.

Oh happy day. They are out there.

My personal feelings are that people are “picking the white stuff” in regard to the consternation regarding type of nic. Beyond throat hit, the differences are negligible for my purposes. I’ve made a few mixes per laziness (didn’t want do dig in the freezer) with freebase and the GC with no problems. Now that I’m down to 2%, even the degree of throat hit is very minor.

Heat the VG. Use the GC. These postulates make a HUGE difference.

I want to continue a little with personal preference. ELR went on forever regarding using scales with 2 digits behind the decimal point vs 3. I guess I can apologize to those who considered this an issue but to me it’s get the fuck over it. You can taste a drop split in half? Give me a break. Call me Grog the Ogre, but that kind of minutia is useless to me. It’s like these folks sampling music at 192khz. WTF? Even your fucking dog is incapable of hearing a difference. Then they read some shit in a theoretical science journal and start touting what they read. Fuck, that shit and three bucks will buy you a cup of coffee. Your senses can’t detect that shit fool.

Ok, personal rant over. At the end of the day they must be having fun debating that crap, so why not.

7 Likes

Liquid Nic with acid powder mixed then added to pg

3 Likes

I thought I saw Carolina Extracts has salt nic too? Love the freebase, never tried the salts. I would still be using CXT if the price didn’t keep climbing, once I tried LNW I switched. Still have a few 120ml bottles of CXT in the freezer for special occasions. I always get a better nic hit with CXT than any other nic, LNW included. Vaping 1.5mg of CXT is like vaping 3mg of a different brand but no throat hit. I do still love me some CXT…dammit, now I want to order some CXT…thanks Dan :wink:

5 Likes

Holy shit, the salt nic at CXT is $36 for 120ml

https://www.carolinaxtract.com/shop-c1el1

The regular nic is just $23

https://www.carolinaxtract.com/_p/prd12/3738421821/product/120ml-sample-100mg-ml-nic-pg

Well, I did want to order CXT and try the salt nic but that price is just craziness when I can get 120ml from LNW for $11

Edit: CXT does not oxidize like other nics. When a friend moved we happened to find a 120ml bottle of a juice I made for him about 18 months ago. Was made with CXT at 3mg and we tried it and it was still good. It was in a cabinet in his garage behind other stuff so not exposed to light and probably never got too hot. CXT does keep better than any other freebase nic I have ever tried…dammit, now I am trying to convince myself to order more CXT…stupid stupid stupid

7 Likes

Yeah, I stocked up too. Just checked and have 400ml of CXT in reserve and a shit load of salt nic, 3 liters of which a friend bought as he vapes pods at work so gets 15mg salt nic juices.

The CXT is just for me, trying to fight the urge to order more, decision would be easier if it wasn’t 105 degrees outside right now.

6 Likes

I have just checked the CXT website and to get 1lt of 100mg nic at $139.25 shipped to NZ, would cost $122.60
Fuck me sideways, that is absolutely ridiculous.

6 Likes

That would be pretty close to what I last paid from LNW for 1L delivered to Oz

5 Likes

You are earning your tag name brother :grin:
Honestly now, is it really worth the price? Is it so much better?

7 Likes

Really it is only worth it if it is to satisfy your curiosity, if I was in your position considering shipping I would pass. It is known as the best nic available from many sources but LNW is pretty damn good as well.

I am satisfied with LNW salt nic, the freebase is excellent as well. I do feel CTX is better as a freebase nic but the premium price tag has increased too much for me to continue using it.

7 Likes

Thanks for that, I am waiting on LNW to come back to me as to why I am not able to complete an order on their site for shipping to NZ.
Maybe Covid has caused international shipping issues for them.

6 Likes

I’ve been using CTX 100mg in PG exclusively and have found it to be very forgiving, in terms of storage and longevity. I generally mix 100ml Chubby’s of all my favorite liquids,add the nic to the whole ‘kit and kaboodle’ and keep them in the dark. While I understand the purpose of leaving the nic out of larger quantities, most all of my stock is still visually pleasing to the eye after several months in storage. I guess I just originally based my personal expiration dates on what I found on the containers of many of the commercial liquids when first starting vaping. As an aside, dipping my toes into the ‘how to store nicotine’ conversation…in the FAQ at Carolina’s website they say no freezer. Fridge or room temp better. I know,I know…just sayin’ :sunglasses:

7 Likes