Sous Vide 101 (and 202, 303)

Flavour Muting, there are a lot of factors but I’m sure one of the major ones is airing your e-liquid (flavour evaporation?), especially for fruitier flavours as they are more volatile then the custards / creams.

I also think some flavours just become “watered” down when you mix with them.

A great example here is (CAP) Sweet Strawberry

5 Likes

Makes sense, especially for ones with higher alcohol that easily gasses out. Nice one.

4 Likes

I know, and I didn’t intend to imply that you are spoiling for a fight. Just making sure our pleats stay flattened.

And again with this, I am very interested in why things are what they are, and always ready to read something that will help me in my, wait for it… methodology. Boom, full circle.

5 Likes

Fair point.
To clarify my POV though, two different reasons, but the same result. If one gets to the point of not being able to taste it (excluding losing flavor to poor methodology), then I’ve (possibly incorrectly) always viewed it as muting.
(Be it over-saturated sensory receptors, or EM). :wink:

The merge request was because of the perceived shift in topic to WF. No problem leaving it though if that’s what’s preferred! (Didn’t mean the two should be merged into one. Just thought the flavor results posts would be better in the other one. Sorry)

3 Likes

Lashed out an bought the hot plate with temp control via temp probe.

7 Likes

Pretty nice!!! I like.

7 Likes

That is a sentiment echoed by just about anyone I have read about that converted to them. It’s amazing isn’t it? Zero harshness; you can’t detect them at all.

I didn’t bother quoting your last sentence because I already knew I was right. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I am glad you like the salts ever since I first started using them I knew I would never use FB again

You could try making your remaining FB into a salt with some benzoic acid - always a good time to experiment when there are next to no consequences if it fails.

7 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Nic Salts - More addictive then freebase?

Alright… help me out a little please. It seems that a couple of these that I have tried- Cola Gummy Worms, Candy Stick Candy, seem to have a deeper, fuller flavor than they did when I first mixed them. This tells me I’ve done something wrong in the 3M DIY process. Do you think I need more SV time, or more USC time, or both perhaps? I’m surprised by this since the homemade recipes absolutely matched the results of the time steeped ones, whereas at least some of these WF one-offs seem to be changing over time a bit?

Taggin’ in the peeps. @anon96069639, @SmilingOgre, @Sprkslfly

4 Likes

Not to me I guess! I gots nuthin’.

1 Like

Hunt and peck is effective, but there are faster methods available to complete the task sooner. Most people just ignore that and continue to hunt and peck, thinking it is the only way to get a good message written! :wink:

All sorted, thanks. And as suspected, it is my methodology in play as the culprit, not the actual 3M DIY.

3 Likes

Yo, appreciate the tag but I really don’t know. The only thing I’ve noticed, if I remember correctly, is that you put your bottles in a vacuum sack. Not sure why you do that. Any air around the bottles will inhibit the heat transfer from the water in the SV. Again, not sure if any of this is applicable. As long as the bottles of liquid are coming up to the desired temp, you’re fine there.

4 Likes

Because the bottles are too short when the SV water level is at the minimum required level. They’re tight and there’s no air in the bag space though. I wish I could just dunk them but I haven’t devised a little pedestal yet.

I believe I know what the issue is, anyway, and understand the results now.

Good to see you @SmilingOgre!! Thanks for popping in.

4 Likes

138F for 30 hours. Ugly container not the best for presentation. A little teeny bit too high on the temp.

5 Likes

Dammit you need to send me some of that, and when does the eliquid version come out?

4 Likes

@anon96069639 I wanted to ask you based on this post

You mentioned the ideal process is as follows and I quote:

I think the steps should be (1) make your PG/flavoring/VG mix in a closed container . Leave the Nic out. (2) heat the juice mix to 60C for at least 15 minutes. (3) Apply some type of mechanical force. Try to minimize aerating the mix.

Question when do you add the nicotine at what stage of the process?

If you do not add the nicotine and apply mechanical force to achieve high sheer and a homogeneous mixture with nicotine, how do you you ensure that the nicotine is fully homogenized. Im referencing here for large batches. I know people use Nicotine Shots and booster later but for large batches how do you ensure that the nicotine is fully homogenized?

Thank you

2 Likes

So for how long do we heat at 140F/60C, and are you recommending to add the NIC after the heating process?

2 Likes

Just to make sure there’s zero confusion
(for you, or anyone else who runs across this)…
It’s the VG that needs to reach 140°F.
So the water will need to be at least that (obviously)

“How long” the VG will take to get to 140 all depends on how hot the water is.

Bear in mind though, the higher the water temp, the closer you need to monitor the temp of the VG.

If you don’t want to have to monitor it, then you need to make sure that the water doesn’t go much above 140°F (hence the use of a Sous Vide by some).

Times will vary depending on the heat source/method used.

4 Likes

I used a thermometer to check the VG the first time I used the Souse Vide @ 140°F and added five minutes for subsequent heating. It’s nice for doing multiple batches as I know the VG is staying right the proper temp.

5 Likes