Wicking cotton prices

Why do people pay £400/kg (Cotton bacon) or £546/kg (Cotton gods) when Robinson’s Cottontails 100% natural, pure cotton, hypoallergenic, sustainably grown cotton wool roll is £2/300g?

4 Likes

Can’t speak for “Robinson’s Cottontails” but in the distant past whenever I tried cotton that wasn’t specifically for vaping all I could taste was cotton and not my juice!

4 Likes

So, what do they do to cotton specifically for vaping to remove the ‘cotton’ taste?

5 Likes

No idea, but the many non vaping specific cotton I have tried “ALL” gave a taste, I’m sure I won’t be the only one who has tried non vaping cotton and got exactly the same results else everyone would be using such cottons because of the price mark up of vaping brands!

But what they do to it or don’t do to it which removes the cotton taste I really don’t know and even vaping brands differ with some giving a slight taste for a short break in period while others have practically zero break in period, they also differ with how well they absorb the e-liquid and how well they hold the e-liquid in rather than dripping with saturation which causes leaking through bottom airflow slots. At first most think cotton is just cotton but vapers tend to find that’s not the case and find their own favourite brands that meet their own needs!

6 Likes

Ha! Knew you would. (And to think you had the gaul to critisize “youtube wannabes”.)

I strongly suggest that you stop falling for the manufacturer’s hype and do a little research. You know – type a few search terms; click a few links; do a little reading. Nothing too strenuous.

Eg. try this: https://www.cottoninc.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Classification-of-Cotton.pdf

1 Like

Most of the cotton used for vaping is unbleached so generally not snow white and i believe the fibres are longer than your standard cotton ball but tbh I would not use cotton again in anything.

6 Likes

I specifically chose Robinson’s Cottontail product, because it is manufactured in the UK, by the same people, in the same way, in the same place, and to the same strictly defined and enforced standards, as 90% of the surgical absorbants used in british heathcare.

And these guys don’t just comply with the standards, they invented them.

Notwithstanding your personal preference, the question for me was what standards do the manufacturers (really just labellers) of ‘vaping cotton’ have to comply with? And the answer is: None.

What difference does it make? Well, in the plant were surgical absorbants are graded, tested and packaged, the light bulbs are sealed in gas proof enclosures, so as to ensure that heavy metal vapours cannot contaminate the cotton. (One of many such legal requirements under the regulation of the British and European Pharmacopoeia.)

Do you think that the packaging plants for vaping cotton products are similarly vetted?

With respect to the “cotton taste” thing. I don’t think that anyone would believe that medical grade cotton would have “cotton taste” added.

So, if vaping cotton doesn’t have ‘cotton taste’, then it would have to mean that they do something to remove it. What could that process be? (And if such a process exists, who is certifying it safe?)

Of course, there is the possibility that the various ‘vaping cotton’ brands simply buy medical grade cotton wool, chop it into small pieces and put it into branded packets and charge exhorbitant prices for it.

(Or maybe they buy the cheaper non-medical grade cotton. Who would know. And what could they do about it if they did.)

Perhaps I’m being cynical.

Some attitude you have in this thread - you ask a question, only to bash the users answering you based on their subjective experience. You may be right in what you are claiming, but you come across as someone who only wants to be seen as wise and the rest is dumb.

Why did you start this thread if you already know it, and have made up your mind?

I’ve got enough muji cotton for years of usage, stored at home, but I don’t use it because of the off taste it gives me, and it takes forever to break in. I’ll gladly use my hard earned money on the cotton I love from Cotton Bacon - of all the different cotton I’ve tried, it’s the clear winner in my subjective opinion.

8 Likes

Tried most ‘specific’ vape cottons and a bunch of quality household brands, for me personally nothing has worked as well as cotton bacon Prime, I don’t know what they do to it, but whatever it is it works for me, some people swear by Muji, and a few even swear by cheaper household cottons…find what you like and stick with it, that’s what makes the Vaping industry interesting, it’s all subjective, all down to personal preference, I wouldn’t care any less if someone preferred the cotton out of their own belly button, if it works for you…all the power to ya.

7 Likes

And that my friends, sums it up quite nicely.

7 Likes

Welcome to VC @CloudHugger ! :wave:
I like your style lol Your grand entrance will not soon be forgotten :+1:
For the record…Cotton Bacon IS good stuff!
I presume you’ve been hanging around here enough to know your way around? Don’t hesitate to reach out to the community with any help you might need! :wink:

8 Likes

Thank’s for the tip Pug’s! Your talking single coil setup then? :laughing:

7 Likes

The arrogance.
What a great enemy.

4 Likes

Welcome to the VC @CloudHugger. Fear not, as I have been, and probably will always be, completely, and totally hooked on Koh Gen Doh cotton.

6 Likes

And THAT, is why, I never STOP reading @Steampugs 's reviews !!!

2 Likes

!

1 Like

After 11 years of vaping, and having tried nearly everything and every brand under the Sun, my favorite for the past year or so is Cotton Bacon Prime. Unfortunately, the manufacturer appears to have ceased operations. I bought as much as I could prior to their shutting down, but am concerned about my options moving forward.

6 Likes

Hey @Jerry :wave: Welcome to VC !

I don’t know if their currently shipping to your location, but Element Vape claims to have it in stock.
I haven’t done a deep dive,but to me, it looks like Wick n Vape only restricted sale’s of their Cotton Bacon products directly from their online store, but continue to supply retailer’s.

6 Likes

Welcome to the VC @Jerry.

5 Likes

I’m not sure if you meant Wicknwape, the company behind Cotton Bacon, is out of business. But I just contacted the company - and they say they’re not out of business :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes