What Has Made You Smile Today

Here’s one that a lot of folks seem to like. It’s a first pass recording with no corrective editing so the mistakes are still there with to good. I use this at trade shows to give perspective clients know exactly the sound they will get with no bull shit added. I refuse to “studio massage” a piece and set up false expectations.

10 Likes

Speakers are good. The God Box, not so much.

8 Likes

Wow man! I’m impressed :+1:. That was awesome Ogre! Good stuff… thanks for sharing!! Had me rocking too Mr.pipes!

7 Likes

My humble thanks! We’re a pretty good geezer band. I’m sure we were all better musicians in our youth when everything worked right but we have a hell of a lot of fun. Our keyboard player turned 65 last night and I’m right on his heals by just months. We added another guitar since that recording and if any of last nights stuff turns out half way decent I’ll try to post something if I can find a good place to host it.

8 Likes

I tease. I can be cheeky. But sincerest of kudos on your knowledge and expertise, sir! I mean smelly ogre disgusting beast, not sir, sorry.

Now, as a regular person who does not have a deep background in all things audiophile, what’s the best way to set up a simple, good sounding 5.1 system for regular TV and movie watching in a regular house?

5 Likes

Hard or soft knee? :wink:

Very nice technical rundown man!
It’s almost like standing in front of the rig! :laughing:
I miss running the board for other bands (when I wasn’t playing)…

5 Likes

Ain’t that the truth!
That’s actually how I got my first ‘professional’ gig running live sound. I was working full time as a bench tech at the area’s best music store, and one of our regulars kept having gear issues thanks to folks not knowing what they were doing… Finally, we got to talking one day, and agreed to give it a shot.

I was reluctant to do it because so many “band members” think “it’s so easy, any monkey should be able to do it” and won’t listen to instructions, and they had reservations because of… Well, the average Joe thinks “it’s so easy…”. chuckles

Anyways, I sat it on their rehearsals for almost two months before the first gig out… taught them a bit about signal flow, and the how’s and why’s of why certain things matter (and how they interact), which they were surprisingly receptive to. And of course, learned where their particular issues were, and helped address the majority of them (there’s always “one”…). Anyways, no small feat for an eight member band. I was genuinely impressed by (and proud of) them!

The first gig out was a monster, and I was intimidated by the number of people… But it went amazing! I had (what I later learned were) long-term friends/followers of the group, approach me/them who said that was the best they had ever sounded! I was beaming, had an absolute blast, and the band was overjoyed!

Couldn’t agree more!
After the first gig, it was (unbeknownst to me) decided by the band that I would take an equal cut of the gigs. I was floored (and grateful).

Regardless, I stayed with them for about 8 months IIRC, until I pretty much got their system tweaked out, and taught the primary folks running things the jist of the process (and familiarity of what the hardware’s intended to do (rather than the “I know/I’ve been told a live sound rig should have X, Y, or Z piece of gear” and having no idea why)…

Ahhhh the good old days.

4 Likes

@SmilingOgre do yourself a favour and get hearing aids !!
I did about 15 years ago, also due to loud noise causing high tone loss, both from military and construction site noise, and it was the best thing I every did. I could actually hear birds chirping again.
JFDI

7 Likes

Well.
That was a fleeting happy memory.
How is it the asshole driving the van/truck always manages to take a wrong turn?

4 Likes

I guess no one cares enough about me to answer. I’m going to curl up in a corner and whimper for a while.

4 Likes

If I knew the answer to your question I would answer it :laughing:
I am as clueless as you when it comes to things audiophile :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Yep. That’s totally the reason. :crazy_face:
Pffbbt.

The problem is, that’s as loaded a question as asking which strawberry or which caramel is best in a proverbial sea of options.

You can walk out of Best Buy with a $200 all in one box system, and some folks are happy.
On the other hand, you can buy one component (ie: an $800 sub by Definitive Technologies) and still have 4 other speakers to buy, and the receiver to boot.

A budget would be most helpful. From there, it’s a question of what’s the best way to distribute your priorities.

Some think loud is more important, others think quality of sound, others just want to feel the bass, others want a little bass so as not to piss off the wife, others…

4 Likes

I think you’re right. I see I need to rephrase the question.

1 Like

@anon96380778, @Sprkslfly, @Tworrs, @anon96069639, Sorry, had to close the browser and finish a promised review. Great conversation! I know I’ll miss something here… Soft knee. Trying to keep their performance dynamics in tact while putting a control on patch and processor changes as well as the “nobody will notice this little volume tweak” that will often blast my ear drums out of my skull. Yes, hearing aids, have a set. Ten fucking K set that I will have paid for for four years. But you are right, I can hear birds. We are very picky about the shows we take. No tour busses, no sleazy assed motels. We are not managed and if we can’t enjoy the experience it doesn’t happen. None of us want to destroy the group by trying to make an income. We do charge standard rates to filter out the rif raf and that’s band party money. We offer split for an engineer or mixbordist as we would think of that person. Just can’t seem to find one. Best way to set up 5 point surround … no idea whatsoever. I bought a “box” kit for my wife and it keeps her out of my doghouse so as far as I’m concerned, it works great.

Oh, I’m done rendering. Back to work.

8 Likes

Sorry man , I really don’t know either. My dad bought a wireless sound bar that actually sounded pretty nice but he also has a small living room too…

5 Likes

I did pick up FA Butterscotch finally with the latest Heartland order. I will try your recipe soon.

OK, so I see that my earlier question isn’t that simple to answer. No problem. I just recall when I was younger, walking into those home theater showcase sections of stores like Circuit City and Best Buy, and hearing how nice their displays sounded, and was wondering how I can get a sound like that without re-financing the house. I think I understand there’s no one answer now.

3 Likes

No problem, happens to the best of us lol… There are a lot of options nowadays and actually they’re is plenty affordable ones too. Unfortunately I’m a caveman

when it comes to technology. :joy:

6 Likes

I’m pretty excited today, if anyone hasn’t noticed but reasoning is I’m getting my little late father’s day gift.
A battery powered weed trimmer. Yup, that means no more breaking my back trying to start my old gas one. I’m telling you it’s the small things :grin:. And on top of that, vacation in three days. Going to spend a week up north with my wife to celebrate our 10th year anniversary.

7 Likes

That’s what she said!!

Hey, congrats on the anniversary.

6 Likes

Lmao, that one made me laugh out loud for real :joy: :joy:… Thank you sir very much!!!

6 Likes