What e-liquid are you mixing today?

Oh I didn’t realise a flapjack had oats I just thought it was another name for a pancake. :rofl:
Mum made so many ANZAC biscuits when I was growing up, a batch was gone in one afternoon. So easy to make too, I was making cheesecakes with an ANZAC base for a while, they were yummy.

5 Likes

Lol, it’s 90% oats!

5 Likes

I would add slightly more oats and not cook as long for a much softer pliable flapjack but here goes:

6 Likes

I will mix an Anzac biscuit next, i am being drawn to a VT desiccated Coconut and Chefs Coconut Macaroons mix for the Coconut Element!

4 Likes

You and me both @marsh8 ! I’m intrigued to find the food recipe, now.

3 Likes

As above!

4 Likes

I have plans for an apricot macaroon using those two, don’t think you need much else.

I searched that BBC site further, a few things peaked my interest.
Welsh Cakes for example which just look like what I would call pikelets.

4 Likes

Look up Manchester Tart mate (and not talking about my mrs), i think that will get your creative juices flowing!

5 Likes

Oh yeah I could eat me some of that, also good inspiration for a mix. :+1:
I have all those ingredients, like I did for the flap jacks. Interesting Pommy baking must be pretty similar to over here, not like when a Yank shows me a cooking recipe.
For one they hide the recipe on those American sites. :rofl:

4 Likes

You guy’s are taking me to school, here! Pikelet’s? Ahhh…

Pikelets are the Scottish version of the southern British crumpet. They are also great for afternoon teas. Serve with fresh-squeezed lemon juice and sugar, or with butter and jam.

This is quickly turning into a rabbit hole…Crumpet? More coffee, first. :yawning_face: just waking up

4 Likes

Crumpets just soak up that butter, tasty as but not recommended for someone with a dodgy ticker!

4 Likes

The popular Anzac biscuit is a traditional, eggless sweet biscuit. Early recipes did not include coconut.
Coconut wasn’t added until around 1933 by the NSW CWA.

Our family recipe never had coconut but we are originally from Vic. Normal recipe my wife uses is:
Ingredients

2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup melted butter
1 tbls golden syrup
2 tbls boiling water
1 tsp bicarbonate soda (add a little more water if mixture is too dry)
6 Likes

Maybe us Banana Benders liked the coconut, I never remember seeing them without coconut.
Just rang mum to check and she says “always with coconut”

3 Likes

Yeah, good chance. The original Anzac biscuits used by the armed forces were quite different from any post ww1 recipes, they were basically just soldiers hard tack and quite hard and dry.

Found an article on the origins of the modern one in case anyone is interested…

Anzac Day 2018: Who made the first Anzac biscuit? - ABC News Anzac Day 2018: Who made the first Anzac biscuit? - ABC News

4 Likes

Bit of both

https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/encyclopedia/anzac/biscuit/recipe

6 Likes

Although the history behind the Anzac biscuit is made out to be quite heroic in it’s invention i doubt in this day and age if someone came up with it in the trenches it would be claimed to be anything new, lawyers would be right over it! It’s basically 95% Flapjack with just the addition of flower and FlapJack originates back to the early 1600’s!

7 Likes

Oh nothing new with it, it wasn’t made in the tranches it was made at home and sent to the diggers as a care package - since everything was sent over by boat I assume the main goal was something that didn’t spoil with the time it took to reach the destination.

6 Likes

Shows how myths come into existence over time, the popular belief is the Australian and New Zealand soldiers on the front line invented the Anzac biscuit just throwing together what ingredients they had to make something palatable, and all this time it was someone’s gran! :rofl:

6 Likes

This article from the Aust War Memorial gives some relevance to the myth, it wasn’t that they made ANZAC biscuits on the front line, the story is how they used the Anzac tiles/wafers in the trenches.

https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/blog/anzac-biscuits

4 Likes

Project for a customer…

6 Likes