Sweetener Opinions

@SmokyBlue, you KNOW the only one that’s done that to me ???

Orchid.

The Creeping Crystals of Death.

7 Likes

Noooooo… Not my SO… please no… lol…

but yeps it is a sign something in the bottle went south and it needs to be replaced.
Depending on when you got it… if you just bought it, contact flv… if it has been a while… then toss and repurchase.

I used to have that issue with chocolate deutsch, and one of the vanillas… I want to say smooth. Only happened once.

Now my lab flavors… those are quiet a few that expanding crystals happened. At first I thought I did something wrong, but no… it’s a natural episode. coming with blending the compounds, if it starts way too early… if it happens after 6mo, it’s not a blend issue… just make sure you keep shaking the bottles.

7 Likes

7 Likes

Is it pretty unanimous that with most sweetener 0.5% is the magic percentage?

3 Likes

Hey now!! :upside_down_face:

Not really… I have been known to only use a few drops… it really depends on the recipe and how sweet you want things… like little sweet, medium sweet, or heavy sweet. If it is all just sweet, it would be boring! :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Yeah i did say most because i would expect the Flavorah to need less but sure a few people have mentioned 0.5%, do you use less with other sweeteners or just the Flavorah one?

5 Likes

In the past i just haven’t used sweeteners at all even though i have had Cap super sweet a while but have just decided i am going to give them a whirl in certain creations hence the clueless questions!

4 Likes

All I use is Flavorah… I don’t see the need to hunt down every one of them. Already had every sweetener under the sun :slight_smile: Using just one brand too, saves in a lot of ways… shipping being the most… and buy buying direct, nothing is ever out of stock.

I guess it was a pet peeve that set me off like how I am today… too many vendors that carry everything, can’t really feasibly carry full lines, and things do tend to go oos quickly or they aren’t big sellers so they don’t stock them… it makes sense in a business way, and really I haven’t met a bad flv flavor yet…

I might miss out on things like rum and vodka, but I dont really miss it… just a craving every now and then… the flavors I lack, I just don’t like the way other manufactures put theirs together… that is the only issue I do find. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Have 42 Flavorah flavourings but not the sweetness one! I tend to mix several brands within the same recipe which is ok apart from obviously some brands are SC while to the other extreme some would mix at about 15% has single flavours! I am just trying to get as much info and opinion of the different ones because i have been told suc based ones are better for sweets and fruits while EM based ones are better with desserts but i just don’t know!

6 Likes

I will tell you this… Go with your own tongue.
It will never steer you wrong. Yes, it means buying a crap ton of flavoring, from different places…

or… you can take my option… if you can find 25 flavors from one flavor house you enjoy… try more from the same house…

Just because you hear people saying ooh I made a “trinity” only means they added 3 same flavors from different places, because of the way those “set” flavor houses make a say raspberry… (example) but then compare each of those 3 and see what you think. Can you tell them apart? do you like it as a triple or as a solo or? Keep your notes… :slight_smile: they always tell the truth. Your tongue and brain won’t lie :slight_smile:

but I will warn you, it is a lot of searching, a lot of time, patience… and most don’t want to do the work to see what they like… vs the work of others…

Im not slanting anyone… if you like mixing with multiple manufactures… keep at it… :slight_smile:

As far as those sweeteners lol I digressed :stuck_out_tongue: put the work in, trial and error… find what you like…

Most the time, I do not use a lot of sweetner… why? because it just is not needed…

5 Likes

It’s never ending, i have way over 200 concentrates now and tend to create my own e-liquids but if i do look at other recipes i can guarantee i will be two or three flavours short every time lol!

5 Likes

When I went all one manufacture, I had over 3500 flavors from around the world. a few have closed up, a few merged, things change… but I know what you are saying.

When I starting mixing with 1 brand tho, I really got to know the flavors. How they work, what would not work, where I started to taste, where I liked a certain flavor… when a flavor became too much for my tastes… it was super easy to spot. I really feel beginners should stick to one brand first… know and learn those set flavors, before branching out into another company. Think of it as building blocks for y our taste buds… :slight_smile: This really works better for solo taste testing.

As far as recipes… learn from your own solo testings as to what you think would mesh… forget someone else’s recipe. 9 out of 10… something I mixed, I know I will enjoy. Hate to say it, but it’s only because I know how I appreciate and mix flavors the way my taste buds taste. Very rare will I mix up someone else’s unless they are super close to my own mixing style.

@Rocky02852 is pretty close to mine… no issues mixing anything he makes from flv… He has a good understanding too. :slight_smile: but I think it’s also a matter of taste. Finding mixers that can match what you like and in turn, it comes down to finding your own first :slight_smile:

I hope this helps, Tim… you are a super good guy and I know you will find your taste :wink:

4 Likes

But i shouldn’t really be a beginner as i have been mixing for 8 years but use to keep recipes quite simple and now just want to develop more complex recipes but should always listen to others opinions as well!

The other side to just using one brand is it seems limiting so for example if you want to make a Blueberry Milkshake and lets say X brand does a Blueberry that is a nice Blueberry but it doesn’t suit a Milkshake at all then you find a Blueberry from a brand that does suit a Milkshake. Now if you only mix with X brand that means you can’t make a Blueberry Milkshake or if you do it won’t be very good!

5 Likes

Not saying you are a beginner, Tim… at all… and I will say you can still build a complex recipe using one brand :smiley: I am living proof here haha!! :tada: :rofl:

The thing is with that thinking… you will be at the 3k level of flavorings, flavor chasing your life away. Serious. That is just how it starts.

I know with the blueberry I have, how much I need of it to make a “bloo milk shake” and I can promise… it will be a blueberry, with other berry “blue” supports, using just one brand. I have an ice cream too that makes a gorgous thick shake…

I do see what you are saying… but what you are trying to do here is go by “how” xyand z manufactures are creating flavors… :slight_smile: Really, in the end… mixing styles come in all different “flavors” and techniques… I think I am right when I say find your own spot… your own tastes… this is your journy, not mine… I could tell you what I like… but you might not like what I have done… it’s simple… if we were all the same, this place would be boring! :v:

5 Likes

The Blueberry Milkshake and X brand was just an example nothing to do with Flavorah’s Blueberry!

6 Likes

I was just using yours as a example…

knowing what your main flavors are… and how you can support them, even using one brand… at least to me… is good. then if you feel like you have to have abc’s blueberry, go get it… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I like the flavorah flavours i have used in general but part of the problem is if i decided this minute to get the full range i would probably have to use every online vender in the UK because each one would only have certain flavours which means multiple shipping charges when the flavorah concentrates are expensive compared to most others anyway (FA are similar price) and i would still probably be a dozen or more flavours short because they just can’t be found in the UK!

5 Likes

I understand Tim… I do… it’s hard.
I would say go with a company there, that you can have full access to what they offer.
It’d be a start, at least. I also said… buying direct, saves both shipping and! you know it’s in stock… See if you can find a company like that there… doesn’t have to be just flv… even tho flv is my prefference, you might like something else that is easy to obtain. :slight_smile:

You can also request flavors from a vendor… ask them to carry it.

4 Likes

What i have started to do unless it’s a specific flavour from a specific brand because i want it for a reason, i stick to SC so most of my flavourings are Flavorah, Wonder Flavours, FlavorART, Inawera and now Real Flavors SC!

7 Likes

Absolutely …

5 Likes