Squonk Questions: From Novice to Pro

Okay guys! I love squonking! However, I am still a baby in regards of knowledge about it! I bought an Ijoy Capo 100w squonk mod about 3 months ago, but I made the mistake of buying before researching (never again)…so I purchased it before I knew about the 4.2 volt maximum output that this mod suffers from. I still use it though, I just have a give and take relationship with it… I give it low ohm builds so I can have the 100 watts it says it will give me! Needless to say, I am still not happy with it.

I see so many beautiful squonkers out there, but most of them are unregulated…problem is, I have never used a mech mod before. I know about building and battery safety, but I am still a little intimidated. I am interested in the Pulse 80w (Aurora Rainbow resin version is so pretty :heart_eyes:). I don’t have much money (translates to I don’t have a job!) so I have to find something good for a decent price. I am not opposed to getting a mech squonker, I just need some encouragement from you guys!

Not to mention I really need to get over my fear of mechs because I am currently awaiting the arrival of the Lost Vape Furyan Mech Squonker Mod to review…but like I said I am very intimidated and I need help! And I need to know what ya’ll think about the regulated squonkers available in case I still want one after having a go with the Furyan!

Sure I can read reviews, but I trust the opinions of the people here and I can reach ya’ll directly to ask questions I have! Well, as long as ya’ll don’t mind of course!

4 Likes

You’re already partially there. With the Capo you are building to get the most out of the voltage available. Now you just have to look at efficiency of the coil as well and get enough resistance into a build as to not overtax the battery. Steam Engines “heat flux” will help a lot. Battery Mooch’s YouTube channel is a great resource if you want to brush up on the necessary electrical calculations and battery safety.

5 Likes

OMG, that is hilarious. I thank you but honestly there are folks here that are better with this topic than myself. I have some mech mods and yes, I can vape them safely. I also understand the electrical characteristics involved but here’s the rub, a lot of this really comes down to experience and experimentation. When it comes down to how well a coil turns current into heat experience is the best teacher and I have simply not put a hell of a lot of time in with mechs. I’m kinda lazy in that regard. I know I can use simple round wire kanthal coils and get good heat transfer with safe builds. I’ve kind left it at that.

5 Likes

Thanks for that, I think I will take a look at Mooch’s channel. I have never watched it, but I always look to his charts for battery stats. I know that the Furyan accepts 20700 batteries and I have a few of the IJOY 20700’s so I am gonna use them for it.

Another question…mechs can’t tell me when the battery is low…how do I know when to change it before it blows my face off?

2 Likes

Damn good question. Wear an iron mask? Seriously, it comes down to common sense. Your vape will slowly diminish as the battery discharges. Change out the batteries when the vape gets wimpy. I went for safety when I started. I would change out the battery as soon as the vape started diminishing. I would then watch the charger and see how much charge was left. I’ve got a pretty good feel for when to change out the battery now. Still have my face so I guess so far so good.

4 Likes

That’s funny…I thought of doing exactly this until I can get a feel for what it vapes like as it gets low…and then I will probably continue doing it still for a while after that, because I like my face and really want to keep it! Thanks for the advice!

4 Likes

One more quick analogy and then I need to head off to work.

Don’t ride a motorcycle if you are looking for the safest mode of transportation. If you want to enjoy the sport understand the risks involved and understand the risks you have no control over.

5 Likes

Stated perfectly! I absolutely know the risks involved, and I will adhere to all battery and building safety. If something that is out of my control happens then so be it, but I want to do my best to make sure that does not happen! Another reason why I still want to hear others thoughts on the best regulated squonkers as well as the mechs! Thanks for taking the time to offer your advice to me!

4 Likes

I’m a squonk rookie as well, but I did a ton of research before I got one and now I have 3 lol. I posted the deal on the Arctic Dolphin Crea in the squonk deals thread, and I am loving it so far, especially for 10 bucks lol. I’ll second what @SmilingOgre said about heat flux on steam-engine.org, and add this; if you don’t already use heat flux then go to steam engine and go to coil wrapping, and type in a build you are familiar with on normal regulated mods ( not the capo). Then go down to heat flux and increase or decrease the heat flux # till you find the wattage you normally vape that build at. Once You get there then all you have to do is look at the volts used and if that number is between 3.6 and 4 then it should be a satisfying vape on a mech. This says nothing about battery safety though, just whether you will like the vape you get.

6 Likes

I am new to squonking too. I am loving the Pulse 80. Its very easy to use, nothing fancy, lightweight but well built. I have only used wattage so I can’t speak to how well it does TC. Hopefully it lasts. Now I am looking for a dual battery squonk mod.

2 Likes

I don’t think I can help much as far as regulated squonks either. I have a Lost Vape Drone and a Kanger 160 that I believe are both out of production. I also have a Wraith that you may still be able to find. The last one is a Therion 75 BF. The Therion and the Wraith are single battery and the battery life is dismal. I have seen the Geekvape Gbox and it seems like a real nice unit. I believe they also make a two battery capo now as well but I haven’t seen it. That’s about all I can think of right now as far a regulated squonks. It would really be nice if Lost Vape would come out with another two battery squonk with the 250C board. The Drone is a butt ugly bulky slug of a mod but it performs extremely well especially in TC which is obviously a blessing for squonking.

4 Likes

Yeah, I wouldn’t want a single battery setup unless it is a 20700 or 21700, and even then its not great battery life. The capo 100w squonk mod last about 2 - 3 hours on a charge with a 20700, its way less with an 18650…they do make a new capo 216 that is a dual battery mod, but they are hard to find…I think they may have had some problems getting them on the market or something, because vendors have been advertising them for a while but never had stock and I haven’t heard much about it. I have heard varying opinions on the Geekvape Gbox. I do really want the Pulse 80w though, I just really love the looks of this one. I am just waiting to hear more about how the Vandy chip performs first.

2 Likes

Those are my experiences as well. All three of the single battery squonks eat batteries. I still enjoy them but not as something to take with me for a day of vaping.

4 Likes

Hmmm VaporDNA has the Ohmboy Desire X and the Capo dual in stock but only the off colors.

3 Likes

I really like the looks of the Ohmboy, and after reviewing the Mad Dog V2 RDA I am looking more at the Desire products! The Capo 216 isn’t bad either, but I cannot find an option anywhere for the mod by itself…

2 Likes

So I went and looked at the mods last night. The Capo comes with batteries. The Capo can also be easily modified to use standard squonk bottles. The Ohmboy as far as I could tell could not be so easily converted. Same for the Lost Vape Drone which is beautiful, but 3X the price of the Capo.

2 Likes

I picked up the Capo 216. I modded the mod. I’ll post pics of the modifications and my impressions of it later.

3 Likes

I totally forgot that Ijoy offers the Capo 216 with batteries! I think it is great that they do this, considering the Ijoy 20700 are at least $10 each…I actually wanted this mod a few months ago, but then I never saw it come to market or any reviews for it, and then the Pulse 80w caught my eye, but I know I would much rather have a dual battery mod because I vape with fairly low ohm dual coil builds at fairly high wattage. I am really looking forward to hearing what you have to say about this mod!

2 Likes

I am jonsing for a 250C Drone. I see where Lost Vape just came out with a 250C Triade. I just vaped squonk bottle of liquid on the Therion 75C. What a vape! Got an Aladdin on top and the vape is just a pure joy. Then there’s the battery life. Pretty dismal. About one bottle. Oh please Lost Vape! Bring forth the Drone 250C.

4 Likes

I urge you to watch this before buying a Rage. He says that there have been cases of auto firing. He also says the board uses a controller or some other component that is the same as Smok. This is supposedly for the first gen mods only. He urged Desire to do a recall. He doesn’t go into details or give examples or documentation, and when pressed for answers in the comments, doesn’t respond.

He also shows slop in the Rage battery door. I have none of that. My battery doors fit tight and you can’t move them around at all. I have zero issues with my Rage mods but I want everyone to make a fully informed decision.

Edit: I believe he also says that the TC is nonexistent or otherwise doesn’t perform well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1uaGUiSL5Y

4 Likes