Smoant cylon trouble

Any idea what could be going on?
https://youtu.be/T619lQtyb9g

2 Likes

Went to grab my mod and noticed it was going crazy. Pulled the batteries and reinstalled, nothing. Tried factory reset, didn’t work. If I let it sit for a bit, it works for about 10 mins then goes crazy again. :triumph:

1 Like

First guess would be that one of the adjustment switches is stuck. May or may not be the button on the face of the mod.

4 Likes

Looks like a collapsed microswitch (or stuck button like Big O said), or of course I always have incidental juice bath somewhere in my top 3 suspects.

4 Likes

Has the Mod Coroner had his apart yet? Regardless, he will be along soon I’m sure.

I know this is not the same mod, but for assisting in thought process… My iPV8 had an issue where the firing button got difficult to press, and sometimes it would keep firing after I let off. Turns out, the microswitch is seated into a little plastic bracket that aligns it with the button. Anyway, it had slipped out of that bracket so the pin was off center, causing the issues. I remounted it and dabbed a bit of superglue on the bracket and it never slid again. Maybe one of the switches is sliding out of place? That would be better than a collapsed MS for sure.

4 Likes

Fairly common problem I’m thinkin. My brand new Triade came with a “mushy” fire button. Within a week it was sticky. Didn’t want to stop firing. Five quick presses were impossible. Fortunately, Lost Vape put a face plate on the device that is easily removed with two screws. The switches on the board are encased and real clicky but the buttons just don’t transfer that click. Cleaned the buttons up and all is good. Probably not the last time I will have to do that.

4 Likes

Thank’s for the help fellas!! The buttons don’t feel like there stuck. Nice and clicky. Hmm , I really don’t want to take it apart. I tend to make things worse when I do that :grin:… It’s been a little over a month so maybe they’ll replace it. IDK, I love this thing so hopefully I figure it out.

3 Likes

Sooo, I gave it the ole slaparoony and wouldn’t you know it, it’s working!! My guess is that something is loose?? To be continued??

4 Likes

Ya, please do update. I’ve also heard of a few of these where the screen went wonky. I really love mine and am hoping it will last for awhile. So far it’s a very impressive mod.

4 Likes

Yeah, going back to my iPV8 experience, they should have dabbed glue on that bracket; it was too easy for it to slide up. And since a smackaroo fixed yours, I’m betting it’s similar… But that’s the best of all the scenarios it could have been!

3 Likes

I’m hoping that’s the end of it. It’s still rocking so , fingers crossed.

3 Likes

I suspect you’ll eventually have to do surgery to stabilize the mounts, but it is still the best possible outcome in my opinion. I don’t open mods if I don’t have to, but I do like to learn how they’re put together so I don’t mind having to open them if needed. I’m a Class A tinkerer, always have been.

2 Likes

Looks like your down switch is collapsed. =(

Suggest getting a replacement under warranty.
Holler if that turns out not to be an option.
Sorry about the bad luck.

4 Likes

I remember reading about an instance or two of this occurring…
I did notice a distinctly different hue on the back-lighting of the LCD (between my older Tarnish version, and the newer Black version). So they have definitely changed suppliers of the LCD along the time-line for whatever reason.

Anyways, the newer LCD has a bluish tint to the screen, whereas the original screen was perfectly black. Slightly annoying (and nothing to make any assessments on by any means), but curiously interesting to see at the same time. :wink:

4 Likes

That is interesting. I’m going to check mine to see which version I got, lol. Hey, kudos to Smoant if they did swap suppliers. It’s damn near impossible to weed out all of the possible faults but if those faults are addressed as they come up, that’s good practice in my books.

4 Likes

I hate when they change things during a product run. iPV5 was like that. My screen was jet black with bright white letters and digits; the wife’s was blueish with blueish digits and letters. It annoyed the shit out of me.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m thinking a replacement also, I absolutely love this thing. I get a lot of compliments, even my nonvaping friends dig it… I went through DNA so hopefully they will take care of it… I think I’ll get ahold of them today. Leave it to me to get the bad one. lol

3 Likes

Thanks guy’s!!! I appreciate the input. I’ll keep you posted!!!

4 Likes

Hope they do you right and swap it. But, if they don’t, most mods are pretty easy to get into without breaking something. So at least you’re not totally out of luck if they let you down.

4 Likes

If they don’t, I’ll have the coroner look at it. I tried taking apart and cleaning my old PlayStation once cause it was acting funny. Well let’s just say I ended up buying a new one lol. I fuck things up lol…

4 Likes