[REVIEW] SessionDrummer's GeekVape GBox Squonk Kit Review

Thanks out to @HealthCabin for very kindly sending this unit to me for review. But as usual, if something’s not up to snuff, you’ll know about it. Purchase link and discount coupon at the end of the review.

I have never squonked, so maybe it’s fitting that I did this review from a first time squonker’s perspective. Being very picky on flavor, I always review from that perspective first, because if it doesn’t taste good, what’s the point. Have never had great luck with RDA’s in general, so I was anxious to see what this unit would reveal.

GBox Specs:

• 5 to 200W Output
  • GeekVape AS Chip
  • Seven Total Output Modes
  • Ni200 Nickel Support
  • Titanium Support
  • SS316 Support
  • Kanthal Support
  • POWER Support
  • VPC Support
  • Bypass Mode
  • 0.05 to 3.0 ohm Atomizer Resistance Range
  • 0.1 to 8 Voltage Range
  • 0.96" OLED Display
  • Dual 18650 Battery (sold separately)
  • Amp Range
  • Output Power
  • Atomizer Resistance
  • Battery Life Indicator
  • Puff Counter
  • 8ml Squonk Bottle Juice Capacity
  • Micro USB Port
  • Charges up to 2A
  • Spring Loaded Gold Plated 510 Connection
  • Low Voltage/Current/Output Short Circuit/Load/Low Resistance/Overheating

Radar RDA Specs:

• 24mm Diameter
  • Additional Cooling Wide Bore Top Cap
  • Dual Airslots per Side
  • 3mm by 1mm per Airslot
  • Staggered Directional Post Build Deck
  • Two Terminal Per Post
  • 3mm Diameter Terminals
  • Top Mounted Allan Screws
  • 5mm Deep Juice Well
  • Double O-Ring Secured
  • PEEK Insulator
  • Dual Side Airslots
  • 9.5mm by 2mm Each
  • Fully Closeable
  • 10mm Wide Bore 810 Delrin Drip Tip
  • 10mm Bore Delrin 510 Delrin Drip Tip

With dual 18650’s and a juice bottle I was prepared for this to be big, but surprisingly not that big at all, and it fit very nicely in the hand.

Battery venting is achieved through the name, very interesting.

I chose to run it full open on the large slots, but you can easily adjust the flow from wide open to completely shut.

The large OLED 0.96" display is very good, shows everything you need, but it somewhat dim at the factory setting (easy to change). When maxed out at 100% however it looks very good, but is hard to read in direct sunlight.

The spring loaded 510 pin worked flawlessly and there was no leaking when squonking.

The bottom loading compartment was snug and secure with no rattles, and the slide release proved to be reliable and secure with no accidental unlatching.

The packaging was great and included all the normal documentation, cards, and instructions. The extras included were well thought out including 2 drip tips, a 510 adapter, grub screws, o-rings, screw tool, extra squonk bottle, and a multi tip charging cable.

Now onto the included Radar Bottom Feeding RDA. As I said, never had really good luck with RDA’s. They always seemed to lack flavor compared to my SC’s and/or were hot and spitty, so I had a fire extinguisher handy, JUST in case. The Radar was well matched to the GBox and had nice airflow slots.

Air flow is easily adjustable from wide open (my preferred setting) to completely closed by rotating the inner cup and the outer sleeve.

For all of my testing I used some simple kanthal, 5 wrap alien claptons with a 3mm I.D.

With the huge build deck, and large wire holes (no shared leads) loading the coils couldn’t be easier.

Tried multiple coil heights and the best flavor (as expected) came from aligning the airflow directly in front of the coils, and having the air flow entering at about even with the coil, and/or somewhat below. You can raise the coils, but no higher than the top of the coil mounts.

With the large deck, wicking couldn’t be easier with plenty of room. Because the top of the squonk pin is elevated some of the juice remains in the deck and doesn’t drain completely out.

Fluff, stuff, and start squonking.

Loaded and ready to squonk.

Testing – Flavor/Usage/Performance:
Coming from a non-squonker, and non-RDA’r, this setup was SHOCKINGLY good. How good was it ?? It was SO good, that I actually had to try three different types of juice, JUST to make sure. Creamy, fruity, and pie flavors were ALL off the charts good. Wasn’t expecting it to deliver the taste that it did. The squonking was simple, flavwless, and without issue. I purposely tried to OVER squonk a few times, and nope, no leaking. I’m sure it could be possible to over do it, but you would really have to work at it. With the lower lip on the RDA, and the deep deck, it’s very forgiving to say the least. With all of the available modes on the GBox there’s something there for everyone. I did all testing in simple power/wattage mode and it was flawless. The controls are easy to use, speedy adjustments, which can be locked, switching modes, adjusting brightness easy as well. One seemingly unimportant detail is how FAST the unit turns on. 5 clicks, quick splash screen, right to the vaping.

Colors/Dimensions/Versions:

One interesting thing (I did not receive this or test) that is an option is GeekVapes Flask refilling system.
A larger bottle in a sleeve that you can quickly re-fill the bottle without removing. Very neat idea.

Conclusion/Rating:

Needless to say I was very impressed by this kit. Had no issues during the testing, and the flavor was actually ON PAR with my beloved SC setups. Mod was well constructed, easy to use, clear display (albeit dim in outdoor/sunny conditions), easy to adjust. The RDA had great flavor, was easy to build on and wick, and didn’t leak. If you’re new to squonking, or even a regular squonker, the GeekVape GBox won’t dissapoint. This places the GBox squarely in at a 9.5/10.

Pros:

• Outstanding flavor
  • Easy to build on / wick
  • Big display
  • Intuitive controls
  • Numerous operating modes
  • Deep build deck with elevated squonk pin
  • Great air flow

Cons:

• Default brightness somewhat dim, hard to see in sunlight
  • Bigger than an EGO

Thanks again out to @HealthCabin for sending this unit out for review. As I was writing this review they messaged me and said they had added a 38% discount coupon code, so run don’t walk to get yours !!!

Discount Coupon Code: gbox381

12 Likes

Love it man…apparently I have one of these coming…somewhere…fuck knows when lol…

4 Likes

Ahhh crap, can you move this to “Kits” ??

4 Likes

I’d be curious to hear what you think of it.

4 Likes

done :wink: :+1:

4 Likes

Thanks …

3 Likes

I love the review mate well done. I do like the gbox now I have changed out the bottle for a silicon one. But I cannot for the life of me work out why they limited tc to 80w - meh doesnt really matter much since there are only a few mods i hit in tc and that depends on what juice I have in em at the time.

6 Likes

I’m kinda mad I missed that. I only used it in power/watt mode. I dug around on giggle for any spec info on the AS chipset, but I could find nothing.

5 Likes

It is kinda a strange thing to do imo. The latest firmware for the aegis drops tc down from 100w to 80w as well (so don’t upgrade if you want the 100w). I wondered if it was a carry over from the aegis update that they just didn’t change. When they release the FW for the gbox it may change but who knows.

5 Likes

Fabulous review SD!

5 Likes

Thanks @woftam and @VapeyMama, …

You’ve reached the maximum number of likes today. Please wait 20 hours before trying again.

6 Likes

Nice job, very good review.

4 Likes

I really enjoyed the review @SessionDrummer and don’t worry about TC, it is a small niche who use it and I think 90% of those youtube reviewers never mention it.

@woftam how did you replace the bottle on the Gbox? I hate the bottle it comes with.

4 Likes

Undo the 4 screws on the squonk bottle side then remove the cover - undo the 2 screws that hold the metal tube replaced with a YFTK 8ml sqounk bottle. Mine looks a little different than this one

6 Likes

You rock brother!

6 Likes

You may need to get a filler bottle too they make it a little easier to fill - i found one that fits on my standard bottles.

4 Likes

I got a filler bottle with my therion bf and ordered another but like the idea of just putting it on my standard bottle, did that come from fasttech too?

5 Likes

Yes mate it comes with a 30 ml bottle but the top just screws on to any standard bottle

5 Likes

Thanks bud. Just ordered!

5 Likes

Great review SD.

I think I have said that somewhere. :joy:

7 Likes