Need coil advice for my incoming SC Aromamizer Supreme v3

I think if I go down that road I’ll end up spending more time trying to build fancy coils than I would actually using them.

Like you SD, I’m all for simple + flavour.

3 Likes

I’m jealous, and envious of people who can spend hours, making some stunning art type coils, as I do not have the skill, nor the patience to do so. Much respect out to them. I’d rather do equipment, and flavor testing, and maybe some MIXING, mixing with my time.

3 Likes

Every rig, setup, deck/tank CAN favor certain types of coils, to really perform, and it CAN vary from setup to setup, so coils that thrive in ONE setup, might not either fit, or work out in a different one as well.

3 Likes

Just wait till you see my solid gold, quintuple core, mirror finished, mega-alien 0.000001ohm 2000w uberflavor ultracoils. THEN you’ll know what jealousy really is! :rofl:

3 Likes

Yeah that makes perfect sense. I will just grab what I said above and have at it and see where it takes me. Hopefully it will be flavour nirvana!

2 Likes
2 Likes

I’m in the UK SD so I’ll probably never order something from the US unless I can’t get it anywhere else. Sucks I know because you guys seem to have a hell of a lot more good sites over there for this kinda thing.

3 Likes

Roger that. I’m sure @Grubby, @Steampugs, and others can super share some UK wire/coil sites.

4 Likes

I do get a slight metallic taste from KA1 so I have exclusively used stainless steel for years that said in that tank a simple round wire build is the easiest and cheapest to make using whatever your wire preference is.

Use the link that @grubby posted to steamengine think about your prefered resistance (personal preference) and buy a coil of the wire that will give you the resistance you want with the I.D and the number of wraps you prefer.

Be aware that if you use TC you will need to get Stainless Steel, Nickle or Titainum wire (Kanthal will not do TC nor will Nichrome (ni80 ni90 etc)

6 Likes

Outstanding post Simon.

1 Like

@Illogik ^^^ @woftam posted up what some people feel about Kanthal, AND, SS. And as he mentioned, if you TC, Kanthal is (technically) a no-go (but you can).

PLEASE BE ADVISED. Just because I get flavor clouds out of my relatively small-ish RDTA v.1, single wire coils may NOT give you the same boost, depending on your setup, aireflow vs. coil height, etc. but was loading up some more tests, and took a few pics.

Yes, I grew to LOVE vertical coils, and they work especially good in this tank.

Probably why the verticals, AND the simple single wires work so well in this tank, is the relationship to WHERE the air hits the coils. The air hits mostly from below, and some from the sides.

4 Likes

There’s tons of decent hand made coil sites in the UK, Proper Coils, Coils by Scott, X-29, Jaguar Coils to name a few

4 Likes

Very informative Simon, thank you.

3 Likes

Interesting build there SD. I believe that is the velocity deck yes? I will have to grab one of those too at some point. Are those pre-made coils or did you make them yourself? If they are pre-made, what is the brand etc?

3 Likes

Awesome Paul, thanks very much. :smiley:

4 Likes

Yes @Illogik. SteamCrave sold out very soon after releasing them for the Supreme v.3, but I was able to find a few from another vendor. I’ve never used them on the Sup v.3 yet, so I’m anxious to see how the Velocity does, compared to the stock postless. Could be a HERO, or a ZERO. We’ll see.

They’re home made. I make up like 20-30 at a time. I just spool out a roll of 24 ga. Kanthal into maybe 8-9" lengths, then just roll them up with the Coil Master kit, and then trim the ends for easier storage, and insertion.

Sure, sure, I could easily use even a simple clapton, but I’m either lazy, cheap, or both, LOL. I probably SHOULD at least, do a compare/contrast with single wire vs. simple clapton, just to see.

https://www.coil-master.net/product/coil-master-diy-kit-v3

4 Likes

This is pretty much what I would like to do myself so I will grab a roll of the same wire and probably try a roll of SS as well.

I already got myself a coil kit thingy. Not as much stuff in it as the one you linked but all I was really after was the ceramic tweezers as I didn’t have any.

2 Likes

Super huge thanks to all you guys for the masses of help. I now have some idea what I need to get started with DIY’ing.

Very much appreciated. :+1: :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

From 2017 …

3 Likes

Thanks SD. Seems pretty simple from those pics :smiley:

3 Likes