Need a laptop. Need advice

Hey gang. I need to find a cheap laptop that is capable of running stuff like games or engineering software, like cad and 3d modeling. I have been away from the PC game for so long I don’t know what to look for in graphic performance, CPU, etc. My son wants to get into drone flying and I want to get a simulator for him to practice on. He also needs to be able to do his school work on it. Any help would be great!

5 Likes

My main laptop is a Lenovo Y700 but I’ve had it like…3 years I think, so it’s probably outdated now, it wasn’t cheap then but if you can find anyone that sells them now I do recommend it, it’s great for me, I don’t PC game I’m purely console but it is capable. 17" screen is nice too, and back lit keyboard which is a must for me as I do most of my work in a dim lit room lol.

5 Likes

Looks like used ones are going for around $500-$750. That’s not too bad.

3 Likes

@wicked, that’s going to be somewhat tough, meaning, “cheap” and “gaming”, “engineering”, and “flight sims”.

PM me your price point.

5 Likes

I know I am asking s lot for a cheap laptop. But I am thinking, a laptop that could do that stuff a few years ago will still be good enough today. I am looking around $500. But won’t be able to do that til after Christmas.

3 Likes

IDK, I picked up an HP with SSD, touch screen, all the bells and whistles, the thing is FAST, and boots up in milliseconds, but I don’t use it, just use my iPad. Every time I turn on the laptop it needs another Windows update :man_shrugging: Think I’m just about done wit that.
Sorry can’t help ya, I know Dman knows a lot bout this stuff, :ok_hand:
Here he comes…

4 Likes

Well, last time I checked CAD, and especially 3d modeling are going to kachunk the piggy bank out of the gate, and gaming won’t help either. CAD you could probably get away with a mid proc, and 8G RAM, but 3D modeling and gaming will increase both, and mandate a dedicated GPU.

Doesn’t mean you can’t DO cheap, but it will be a battle of compromises.

6 Likes

Yeah, it definitely needs to be a dedicated GPU.

Anything I get will probably be as good as my desktop was (rest in pieces).

3 Likes

Well, if you’re desktop is in pieces, hehe, ANYTHING will be better.

It’s really about compromising things, and I don’t think that price point will make you happy in most of your goal usages, but it depends. A few of my tried and true are no longer being sold.

4 Likes

That last one has a Quadro. That is what my desktop was running. Thanks for all the help. There is enough there to get me shopping around.

3 Likes

I wish there were more Quadros available. Certified drivers, rock solid, CAD friendly, etc. May not push the upper limits of shaders, but still work horses.

3 Likes

A laptop might not be the most powerful choice. A Server platform might be better. This is where I used to buy all my servers …they sell laptops too (and video cards possible Quadro cards). I never had any issues with this company. They are in Austin TX where there has been a long-time major Dell presence and they have top techs for recertifying equipment. Notorious for weak graphics cards (servers) you could look for a nice add-on video card. Notice you may also get an operating system too in the deal, and a server OS might offer better (leaner!) performance. You can call them and get a real in-store human

3 Likes

and B00M under a G (+shipping)

3 Likes

or a workstation CAD laptop with some scratch and dent CHEAP!
https://discountelectronics.com/dell-precision-m4700-i7-nvidia-k2000m-15-6-workstation-cosmetic/

3 Likes

Good prices @bodarc.

2 Likes

This company is unbeatable because they buy all the off-lease Dell equipment. Major businesses replace all computers after the factory warranty expires (Best Practices thing) …all in very usable condition. They have also been voted for many years as “Best place to work” etc. 4.5 Stars on Google.

4 Likes

This is impressive, Bookmarked it thanks

4 Likes

That’s pretty nice. I have used that video card in a couple workstations over the years.

I am limited to a laptop at this point because I am immobilized for the most part. Long story, but sitting upright in a chair is a no-go.

3 Likes

I think I am going to try to get this one if I can sell a couple items.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324370847361

4 Likes

The regular Windows updates are generally (yeah, I know, some may disagree) beneficial. They provide security updates, driver revisions, bug patches, etc. All that is aside from their twice yearly features updates. Part of your problem comes from not using the machine very often.

You can tell Windows what time of day (or night) you want to have the updates install. Set that for nighttime, and once a week or so just turn the machine on in the evening and leave it going 'til morning. Then, when you want to use it, it will be ready and waiting for you.

Also, just because you turn it on and it tells you there is an update ready doesn’t mean you have to do it right then. Just tell it to wait, go about your business, and when you’re finished you can use the power menu to have it update and shut down.

3 Likes