My first ever coil build (with a pre-made coil)

So here it is, my first ever DIY build on my shiny new Steam Crave Aromamizer Supreme v3. I used one of the 2 prebuilt coils that were included in the kit (no doubt thanks to @Timwis and others :smiley:). It only took me about 2 hours lol. I’m still playing around with the wattage but it seems like I will be sticking somewhere between 35-40w to achieve a similar level of flavour that I get from my TFV16 at 120w so my batteries should last a while longer.

Many thanks to @SessionDrummer @whthek @woftam @Grubby and @Steampugs for the invaluable advice that helped me get this done. You guys are awesome. :+1:

Apologies for the shit picture quality, I only have my s20 ultra for taking pics so that’s as good as it’s gonna get I’m afraid.

9 Likes

Looks good, what OHM coil is that?

5 Likes

Height and general coil position looks good and cotton cut to correct length, impressive for first attempt!!!

7 Likes

Thanks guys! My Aegis mod reads it as 0.45ohms. I’m vaping at 40w currently.

6 Likes

Looks great @Illogik :ok_hand::sunglasses:

7 Likes

I don’t see any discoloring of the coil itself…did you pulse the coil after mounting, and before loading with cotton?

6 Likes

Yeah, I did plenty of pulsing to make sure there were no hotspots and again multiple times after putting a bit of juice on there to soak it in to the wick.

6 Likes

There is a bit of popping from inside the tank when I have a vape, is that normal?

3 Likes

Cotton too loose…bigger piece.

4 Likes

Ok, thanks Brian. It did go in there pretty tight though. It was meant to be 3mm cotton and the ID of the coil is 3mm too.

3 Likes

Did the coil flex back and forth, after you pulled it(the cotton) through, and centered it? In other word’s, snug enough that by tugging on the cotton, the coil move’s with it.

3 Likes

Yeah it felt like a pretty snug fit.
I’ve literally just pulled the cotton out to do it again with more cotton and there appeared to be a dry bit that was right inside the coil, even though I drenched it with juice multiple times while I was pulsing it.

2 Likes

Is it better to have no gaps between the loops of the coil or small gaps between each loop?

3 Likes

Personal preference, Andrew. I’ve tried it both way’s, and generally spread the winding’s apart just a little.

3 Likes

Roger that. I’d imagine it will make saturating the wick inside the coil a bit easier if there’s little gaps.

3 Likes

You did school yourself about ‘thinning the tail’s’, and not packing them too tightly into the wells???

3 Likes

Yeah I did that. :smiley:

3 Likes

There are member’s here with much more experience than me, but the popping has alway’s resulted from loose cotton/rayon. Someone else will probably jump in and offer a fix! :wink:

3 Likes

It’s all a learning process for me. Even if I mess up, I’m still learning what NOT to do lol. I’m about to make tiny gaps between each loop to allow for more juice saturation, then re-wick and see if it makes any difference.

4 Likes

Exactly!

3 Likes