South Africa’s proposed tobacco legislation raises an interesting question:
Should your private vehicle automatically become a vape-free zone whenever a non-smoker climbs inside?
I give a colleague a lift to and from work every day. He neither smokes nor vapes. He also contributes nothing towards the diesel.
My commute can take up to an hour and a half. That drive is my time to unwind. I choose the music, decide whether we stop at the shop and make whatever detours I need to make.
Now imagine the police pulling me over and saying I may not vape because my non-smoking passenger is present.
Fine.
He can get out and ask them for a lift.
If you accept a free ninety-minute journey in my Pajero and then expect complete control over what happens inside it, buddy, you can fuck right off.
That does not mean second-hand vape aerosol is harmless.
A 2023 vehicle study found that vaping increased PM2.5 around the passenger seat from a median baseline of about 4.8 micrograms per cubic metre to 107.4 after a controlled vaping period.
Another car-and-room experiment recorded a much smaller vehicle reading of 16 micrograms per cubic metre—about twice baseline. Most airborne-nicotine results and all the tested biological markers were below quantifiable limits, although some participants reported short-term irritation.
So the cloud is not harmless fairy mist. Vaping changes the air, and a passenger can be exposed to particles, PG and sometimes nicotine.
But the evidence does not say that vaping and smoking are identical.
The US National Academies found moderate evidence that second-hand exposure to nicotine and particles is lower from vaping than from combustible cigarettes. A 2024 review similarly found that hazardous substances were generally much lower than those from cigarette smoke, while noting that vape aerosol was not completely benign.
That is the reasonable position:
Not harmless. Not cigarette smoke. Not the same risk.
Children should be firmly protected because they cannot meaningfully choose whether to get into the car.
The same principle can apply to workers, paying passengers and vulnerable people who cannot reasonably escape the exposure.
But a competent adult voluntarily accepting a private lift has agency.
He can ask me not to vape. I can agree, open a window, wait or decline. He can accept the conditions or arrange another lift.
My car, my rules does not mean I have permission to behave like an arsehole. It means a free lift does not include a controlling interest in the vehicle.
I choose the music.
I choose the route.
I stop at the shop if I need to.
And after a long day, that drive home is my time to decompress. If a grown man who pays nothing towards the journey believes I will surrender all control for ninety minutes because he has occupied the passenger seat, we have misunderstood the arrangement.
Protecting children is sensible.
Treating cigarette smoke and vape aerosol as scientifically identical is not.
Treating every adult passenger as incapable of informed agreement is not protection. It is government climbing into the back seat and shouting instructions.
Where would you draw the line: children and vulnerable passengers, every passenger regardless of consent, or no legal restriction inside a private vehicle at all?