Musicians on VC, show us your setup

This is my knock around guitar it’s about 40 years old, the electrics need some attention but the tone is absolutely awesome I’d choose it over my USA strat, if it was more reliable! And as you can see my 3 year old loves it!

12 Likes

Very cute @MrMattUK.

3 Likes

I don’t really get to play anymore, I was a way amateur drummer who was still learning before I had constructive spinal surgery about 8 years ago or so, and that kind of spelled the end of it for me, I miss it a LOT though, playing music with your friends is one of the best feelings in the world, I get to jam every now and again as all my hardware is now scattered across a few different rehearsal rooms, and I have a lot of friends who play, still…here’s me in my heyday when I hit things with sticks in my old band…good times man, really good times…

13 Likes

We gotta talk @Steampugs. I didn’t know about the spinal surgery. In that pic, I’m liking a lot of stuff. Love the Zil’s, and do I see a power tom with no resonant head ??? !!!

I started working so much, that I really couldn’t play the “beast” as much as I’d liked. Too late, too loud, etc. Wife, unbeknownst to me, picked me up a Roland Kit with the mesh heads. WTF !!! ??? I don’t PLAY electronic drums dammit !!! Although I did slave a pack of original Simmons pads on one kit. I scoffed at the little meshy mcmesh pads (upgrades don’t you know), and finally got around to playing it. Upgraded all the “kits” in the brain, and I have to say, Not Too Shabby. Picked up another double pedal (I use the Pearl Eliminators, lefty style), and it couldn’t have worked out better.

Actually got me to play more, when late and quiet were all there was, and then I started to play the beast even more, and now, almost back where I started.

Sorry I don’t have any good pics of the Roland, barely make it out.

#ForPaul

Paul, if you think an unobtrusive e-kit MIGHT be the thing for you too, I’d be happy to tell you everything I know mate.

10 Likes

I see so many drum rolls on that set up… oh my gosh!!!
You put my 5 gallon and my 2 and 1 gallon buckets to shame!! :beers:
e-drums?? could be a lot of fun! :partying_face: :grinning:

4 Likes

Hehe @SmokyBlue. Bigger isn’t always better (wait, that’s what SHE said). Nothing beats a 5 piece kit. Easy to haul, reskin, tune, mic, etc.

Big can just be a BIG pain in the ass. 22 heads to change and tune, bleh.

Mic them up, and record them where they sit, then you never have to move them I always say !!!

3 Likes

I think I need to just stick to my strings lol… you guys can just go beat it up :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:
if all this rain goes away… will haul out my strings and snap some pix… atm I need a boat!

3 Likes

That’s an awesome kit Dman, love it, I’ve actually played on a Roland mesh kit, I think they’re pretty amazing things, my mate had one, but I couldn’t stretch to £1k at the time, My sister has an electric kit that she was learning on and although it’s only a cheap think I still have fun on it, it’s like one I used to have years ago :wink:

4 Likes

Thank you very much @Steampugs. Going to look for those V.E.X. kit samples, in case you want to deploy them to a Roland near you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

These photo’s are of the last three(Taylor’s) I’ve owned…the 2 shiny ones have gone on to new homes.The 12 string(W65ce) is a Jumbo body made with Claro Walnut and sounded fantastic.The one I’m shown playing is a Rosewood/Spruce Dreadnought. I smashed my right shoulder(among other body parts) in a m/c accident,making it real uncomfortable to play larger body styles. So, the mini is what I play now, couple times a month.The other guy in the photo was my guitar teacher when I was 8yrs.old! We caught up with each other and ended up playing out,locally, for a time. Anyway, here they are!

14 Likes

Took me awhile and a few listens to get it just right but I finally transcribed my part in Fear The Reaper

12 Likes

https://youtu.be/cVsQLlk-T0s

7 Likes

Love that video! :joy::joy:

3 Likes

My 3 string wild cherry lap steel guitar… this is what I play late at night before bed.
I have a roland micro and a fender amp I bounce between. It’s got a lot of custom work:

Gabon Ebony end cap / control plate. Crushed turquoise with brass filings for the inlay. 1/8" brass rod - string ground. Carved brass bridge, removable wrist rest, tombstone tuners, and a 4000mgb wound pick up. It plays as sweet as it looks and was custom made for me by a dear friend.

11 Likes

OMG - classic!! :laughing:

4 Likes

Having a tine trying to pick out a new slide and pick… I like to collect them every now and then. :slight_smile:

Made by one of my mentors :slight_smile: He does some gorgeous work. I have 4 of his slides now… and a handful of picks. I’d have more but I tend to lose my picks… ugg!

8 Likes

Very nice looking @SmokyBlue.

2 Likes

That’s what makes it soo hard, Sd… I know the double ones, wood… first post… are already taken. He does them in batches and no telling how they will turn out. From stubby to regular slides… it’s like ennie meeny lol :stuck_out_tongue: but I want a new one… or maybe one for my wild cherry.
Thinking on trading him out in work… :smiley:

1 Like

:heart_eyes:They look amazing, they make my plain old brass, steel and glass slides look… well exactly that plain old brass steel and glass :joy: if I played more slide I would have to have at least a million of them :grin:

2 Likes

nothing wrong with brass copper or glass… sometimes even a butter knife just works :wink:

2 Likes