Interesting read about a PG study from 1942

I never knew this was on Mt Baker’s site…

“Dr. Robertson placed groups of mice in a chamber and sprayed its air first with propylene glycol, then with influenza virus. All the mice lived. Then he sprayed the chamber with virus alone. All the mice died.”

https://blog.mtbakervapor.com/scared-germs/

6 Likes

MBV for the win @WickedFog. This one was TOO good, not to copy/paste …

Propylene Glycol – Germs Worst Nightmare?

Did you know – in 1942, Dr. Oswald Hope Robertson conducted a study to see how the inhalation of propylene glycol affected mice? Within this study, Dr. Robertson advised,

“The propylene glycol itself was a potent germicide. One part of glycol in 2,000,000 parts of air would – within a few seconds – kill concentrations of air-suspended pneumococci, streptococci, and other bacteria numbering millions to the cubic foot.”

Citing from a TIME magazine article from 1942,

“Dr. Robertson placed groups of mice in a chamber and sprayed its air first with propylene glycol, then with influenza virus. All the mice lived. Then he sprayed the chamber with virus alone. All the mice died.”

As you all probably know by now, propylene glycol (PG) is a primary ingredient used in vape juice. PG is an artificial liquid whose job is to absorb water. Aside from our beloved E Juice, PG is used in an array of cosmetics, food, and pharmaceuticals. It is clear and has relatively zero taste/odor.

What does this mean for us, as vapers, today? What we can theorize right now is that instead of being a threat to our health, the PG in the juice we vape might just keep us healthy. Further studies should be done on the effects of inhaling vaporized PG in order to determine if it can be used successfully as a virus prevention (or extermination) tool.

Our question is, where are clinical trials to further this potentially life saving liquid now? If you, our readers, have heard of any happening since e cigarettes have hit the scene – let us know in the comments below! We would love to know more… (I’m sure other vapers would as well).

5 Likes

I wish I had found that when someone asked me about bacteria when steeping in a wooden keg lol. Or mentioned bacteria at all in an ejuice. But I will damn sure bring it up the first time someone mentions Covid-19 and vaping in the same sentence.

5 Likes

Propylene Glycol is also an “Anti-Freeze”
Used in fresh drinking water Systems in Recreational Vehicles / Boats etc.

Why use PG in drinking water systems :man_shrugging:
Because its GRAS (generally regarded as safe) by the FDA !

3 Likes

It is not the anti-freeze. It is simply the carrier/lubricant for the anti-freeze :wink:

4 Likes

Well I’ve been using it for 30 yrs as an antifreeze , it does partially freeze depending on the mix strength, and turn to slush, but not enough to bust pipes :ok_hand:

3 Likes

So why is that stuff pink?

2 Likes

Ok, I read some more into it. This explains it for me lol
Actually it is antifreeze, but the real meaning of the word, not what people usually associate. Propylene glycol can be used in frozen foods to control ice crystal formation so, technically, it is antifreeze. What scares people is that propylene glycol can be used as an ingredient in low-toxicity engine antifreeze and coolant - it replaces the ethylene glycol that is toxic to humans and animals - and they think they’re the same. They’re not the same, but they are also not the only compounds in there.

3 Likes

That’s the reason they use PG in antifreeze, it makes it less toxic.

That’s why they want you back on the ciggies. You fucking crazy, drawing a pension for years?
As soon as your working life is over you very quickly become a burden :money_mouth_face:

5 Likes

Without going into to much detail, the clinical trial that I’m involved in. The drug is dispersed in PG and injected into the middle ear. I found this interesting when reading the investigation brochure.

3 Likes

I personally feel something in ejuice has helped keep me healthier. Especially since I smoked for 30+ years and had 5 years in a row where I spent a week or more in a hospital with pneumonia. Once in ICU for 2 weeks after almost dying from it. And after I started vaping I haven’t had so much as a cold.

I also find it funny that over the years, I have came across quite a few tried and true home remedies that require some earthly ingredient. Ingredients that have been used by Native Americans, early American settlers, American Eskimos, etc, for YEARS. And after further research I have found the FDA has deemed these ingredients carcinogenic, poisonous, or whatever, and banned them. Yet they will approve the use of some pill that causes a small percentage of people in clinical trials to commit suicide, bleed from their eyeballs, or die from explosive diarrhea.

4 Likes

It wasn’t that long ago that I was having this conversation with someone, can’t think who it was now :thinking:

Anyway, I was saying to them that when I first started vaping my lungs cleared out really quick, I could breathe again, I could actually feel them open up a bit, it was almost as if the vaper was helping me, imagine that! :smirk:

I also have not had a cold or any kind of virus (knock on wood, bad time to be saying that I think :laughing: ) for a very long time.

Propylene glycol has not caused sensitization or carcinogenicity in laboratory animal studies, nor has it demonstrated genotoxic potential.

7 Likes

So…let me get this right, so far during ‘Da Covids’ …we had headlines stating that nicotine was a possible cure for it, or at the very least a prevention, and now, you’re saying PG has germicidal qualities?
Well my next question would be this…
In a world wide Pandemic where nearly 27 million cases have been logged, and with just under 900k deaths…does anyone know any full time vapers that have caught it??

5 Likes

I was wondering this myself. Man, how cool would it be to pose this question to all the big advocacy groups out there to pole as many vapers as possible, then submit that to the general population.

Covid is supposedly hitting somewhere around 2-3% of the population right? I know this varies, and I haven’t bothered to look in a couple months what the true statistics are. But basically, if we could pole 500 vapers, that should be a good enough study to prove a damn point.

Edit: the results would be skewed, because we all know vapers are “the smart ones”.

5 Likes

Go for it then man, stick a poll up, I’ll sling it on the VC FB group too see if anyone bites, I’d be really interested to see, and it might be better coming from someone who isn’t admin.

I mean I only know of like three people that have had it anyway, one died unfortunately but he had underlying health problems, the other two were elderly (ish) but they’re fine, none were vapers though, be good to get a wider reach.

5 Likes

I just reached out to a couple groups, like the United Vapers Alliance. I also suggested they post their events on forums. Maybe you can reach out to them and setup a space here for them to promote their activity? As it is, we basically rely on the members here to share their emails and such.

But yeah, give me a bit to gather some intel, and I will toss up a pole.

5 Likes

I’m guessing that means something slightly different in the states… :eyes:

7 Likes

You tosser! ROAR!

4 Likes

There was a study done looking at the % of smokers and vapers that have caught cv19 and the results were that they are under represented in the numbers I think it was around 1/4 (from memory) (example 20% of people smoke or vape and only 5% of cv 19 cases were smokers or vapers not the actual numbers) I will try and find the study today if i get the chance.

5 Likes

@Grubby beat me to it. I will take the link to the pole and share it in any groups I find.

4 Likes