How has your DIY routine changed over time?

For some time I’ve had this notion I was going to STOP THE INSANITY!!! Get away from the need for a warehouse to store my DIY supplies and juices. My flavors I have had divided between 2 nail polish racks, 3 craft cabinets and 2 desk drawers. At any given time over the past several years I might have 30-40 bottles of juice in various stages of development from testers to new, untried recipes to daily rotation of juice either steeping or ready to vape. It became too much. So my notion was to simplify my life and settle on 20 or so recipes that I love and can be happy with. That’s enough variety, is it not? I think so.

Finally I’ve made that first step (giant leap actually) and ordered some fresh flavors which I’m using to make one shots. The plan is to rid myself of all the inventory as much as possible by buying and restocking only the flavors needed for those chosen few recipes. Gone will be the nail polish racks, most of the craft cabinets, and best of all I get my desk drawers back. Today I mixed my first one shot…60ml of concentrate which will yield over 500 ml of finished juice. Oh yes, I’m on a new path and it feels fantastic.

How has your routine changed? Are you years into DIY but still enthralled by the experimentation/creation process, or are you ready to “settle” like some old fart on a sandy beach somewhere, content with your bourbon flask and lap dog? What are you doing differently now as opposed to when you started?

10 Likes

I am ready to settle , but there is some whisper in my head " keep mixing , buy more , try more" that I can never completely shake … I use to mix for a lot of people but stopped , now im doing it again ( yes i know bad idea) …For the most part it is relaxing to go sit in the Vape Room ( named by my children ) and try to complete a recipe.

6 Likes

I have been thinking the same thing. But it will be hard because for me, the fun of mixing was coming up with new recipes. I think once I get my GC this will be much easier. Because the month long wait to test something, and subsequent wait times for changes in the recipe just killed it for me.

I have a few recipes I am going to focus on at first I think. And I hope to thin out my flavors and get rid of undesirables. It will be hard, but has to be done.

8 Likes

Hell yeah, I’ve got stuff in boxes that I haven’t even bothered to unpack.
I will survive the vapocalypse.
I just got tired of the whole trying out of new stuff.

The industry made it very easy too by just mass producing pods that I don’t want.
As for mixing, I mix like I cook, because I have to.
I have one recipe I like and for the rest I’m pretty content vaping single tobacco flavours.

Now I’m finally saving some money :money_mouth_face:

8 Likes

I went through a year or 2 of completely losing interest with mixing, as in coming up with new recipes and buying every single flavour under the sun, Like Jose I mixed like I cook, I just threw flavours I liked together at around 15% …didn’t even weigh them out individually, really lazy, but they were only for me and I rarely did a bad mix, I could just never replicate them…I had a few ‘favorites’ that I already knew the percentages for but I didn’t even have them written down, but now I’m back on track again, coming up with new recipes, making notes, writing them down etc, and i’m enjoying it again, The GC has a lot to do with that, I’m not great with patience so it’s helped a lot :ok_hand:

8 Likes

I find that my DIY journey comes and goes in phases to a certain degree. But to be honest I have never stuck at any hobby for this long in my life.
A bit over 2 years is a long time for a hyperactive bugger not to get bored. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I mixed almost nothing but Strawberry for the first 18 months, @woftam must have got sick of me showing him strawberry recipes :rofl:
Only recently have I started properly doing SFT and understanding what was going on. I learnt by mixing ridiculous amounts of recipes.

Now I rarely mix strawberry, but can mixed a dozen different profiles and flavours in a week and can never vape it to test it.

I have a problem. :grinning:

10 Likes

Ya brother for a long time you were the unchallenged strawberry champion of the worldNWA_World_Women's_Championship_belt_2017

6 Likes

Tickled you bring this up now, @SthrnMixer for I too am tired of my roll away carts, the racks, stands and other cubbies… I have so much I doubt I can ever use it all. Makes me almost embarrassed at the massive things I used to use quite often. Things started really slowing down for me right before Christmas… and even tho I do things non diy… there is just no excuse for the massive bits I keep here at the house. :coffee:

I have been thinking on making flavor pouches, so I can roll them up and stack them neatly into plastic bins. Nice dark and gathered into collections of fruits creams etc… easy to find and sort tho, without all my big shelves and carts… Will have to see, as I am just now sketching things out. :slight_smile:

I know I have a few business relations that will still continue on, so it’s not like I can sell off everything I do not use. Everything has its own time and place and for every action, there is a process :slight_smile: I can stash my larger bits back at the sub lab and regain one of my rooms. That is a nice thought, as I will be ripping wallpaper and painting this winter. It will become a lively mess here! :smiley:

7 Likes

@SthrnMixer you GOTTA let me know how to do THAT.

7 Likes

First, let me ask. Which 20 recipes did you decide on and How in the h3ll were you able to pick only 20?

Not much has changed for me. I am still lazy and I am still poor (though I am working on that). I am always amazed at the number of concentrates some folks have. I keep mine at about 200 and I try not to go over that. Now that I am testing for Inawera I am amassing quite an inventory. It is time to give some away though. Even though I say I am poor I could still spend my pocket money on flavors.

How can a person (me) be thinking about quitting all together buy a GC and say yes to a well-established company for SFT?

Believe it or not, I can answer that question; Because I want to help people quit smoking.

I’m not sure I answered the question. Anywho, I have always thought you @SthrnMixer were especially good at creating recipes.

7 Likes

I’ll refer you back to a PM we had going on ELR where I brought this up. Add 2 years to that. That’s how long I’ve been “thinking” about it. :wink:

Therein lies the challenge. I haven’t quite picked out my 20. But I do have some that I love which have made the short list. Ones I know will stand the test of time, assuming my taste for them don’t change. Tell you what - when I get all 20 I’ll share the recipes. For now, I’ll just say here’s where I am so far -

Jangotus
Strawberry Shortcake Bar
Queen’s Dowry
Coconuts
Strawlime Ice Cream
Seventh Heaven
Elderflower Lime

Probably will be a bit getting my 20 together seeing how some recipes need a tweak due to things like flavor companies discontinuing a flavor here and there or like my refusal to buy another drop of Real Flavors.

You’ve obviously never tasted my rejects, which outnumber my successes by a ratio of at least 50 to 1 :wink: Thanks for the kind words!

More to follow.

5 Likes

I can not even do that!!! I go thru around that much a day, due to my tastebuds always wanting something else… the trouble I go thru because I just can not vape one juice all day. I wish I could… it’s been the bane of me for many years.

8 Likes

OMG neither can I. I have six different set up with six different liquids at all times. When I have to go somewhere I always have a hard time deciding what to take. Actually, I will only take something that fits in a pocket or cup holder.

4 Likes

Same here… or my purse… and I hate digging thru to find a juice bottle…
or find out my bottle leaked or… I do keep spare batteries in plastic containers… so there is that too… :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

It’s definitely changed for me. Pretty much just a habit. I have less than a dozen that I keep up with. All qualify as all day if necessary. I have maybe 50 flavors that I will toss soon.

6 Likes

I am in the same exact boat, I have about 100 flavors unopened that I will pass on soon as I get them organized. I basically vape 3 different mixes daily, and play around with trying out a new one every once in a while.

5 Likes

I’m mostly in to my oneshots but have a few flavours left.

I mix when I cba which is usually when I run out of something, same old method, set of scales, pour ingredients in, spill the PG, shake it up, vape it up, no waiting around, no fuss

6 Likes

Imagine the possibilities with the GC :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Yeah, I have asked for the bigger version, because I think a couple recipes will still be made in big batches. But being able to mix a juice and vape it sooner will definitely change the way I mix.

2 Likes

That’s about what I do…, a little research on flavors AFTER I decide what I want to make😉 take a few different 1’s tht r in the actual recipe of the food or drink or whatever it may be… & build off of tht…, I try & keep anything I make 15% & below…, all vapable… nothing really spectacular tho…, with GC I could instantly fo SFT to find the sweet spots in flavors & put those together & make 1 killer ass recipe in a matter of minutes… whoah… wholly fuckin hell… I’d soo like to get 1!, maybe 1 of these years🤔

3 Likes