How can I get started with mixing my own e-liquid

would somebody be willing to point a guy to a good place to get started on this stuff

3 Likes

Could you give us a bit more info on what youā€™re wanting to know?

Vaping style (MTL or DL)
Are you still smoking/chewing/dipping/etc
Are you already mixing?
Are you looking for where to buy supplies?
(where are you geographically?)
Etc

2 Likes

dl
no tobacco in 2yrs
not mixing yet
yes i am
charlotte area nc
ive got a kylin dual, peerless rda, drop rda,fireluk freemax, voopoo drag, loch ness/terra combo, smok mag tfv12 kit and a shitty wismec rx2/3 that i hate
im probably forgetting a few things but mostly i just need where find what i need to get started mixing

3 Likes

For flavors:
First suggestion would be BullCityFlavors.
Honorable mentions are NicotineRiver, ecigexpress, GremlinDIY, and DIYVaporSupply (though the last one is overpriced for run of the mill flavors, they have a LOT of otherwise ā€˜hard to sourceā€™ flavor companies. So I consider it a convenience surcharge for having these under one roof.)

Bottles.
take what you think youā€™ll need, and triple it. Especially if you think youā€™ll do SFT (single flavor testing).

The reason being: letā€™s say you find 5 mixes you want to tryā€¦
Youā€™ll need 5 bottles of something to vape while the 5 recipes you want to try are steeping. (Thereā€™s 10 gone already!)

Then, letā€™s say youā€™re not sure how to use 2 flavors. Youā€™ve read recommendations on one that say ā€œI like it at 3%ā€, and another says 6%. Yet another said 10%ā€¦ Youā€™re not sure how itā€™ll perform on your hardware, and with your taste buds. (Thereā€™s 3 more bottles gone.)
The other flavor has pretty consistent recommendations for both 4% and 6%. (There went your last 2 bottlesā€¦

And what have you got?
5 bottles of ā€œSnVā€ (shake and vape), that you may or may not likeā€¦ 5 bottles of recipes you canā€™t touch for at least a week. And 5 bottles of SFTā€™s that youā€™re waiting on to steep.

So you see how quickly they go! :wink:

As for where to buy bottlesā€¦
I prefer the 30ml clear glass Boston round bottles that Iā€™ve gotten from NicotineRiver (as they were actually 30ml. The time I got blue (cobalt) they were undersizedā€¦ And twice Iā€™ve gotten amber from them, one they were proper 30ml, and the other they were undersized. DO NOT buy 15ml bottles there, as ALL of them have been undersized)

I just got some proper 15ml Boston rounds from ECX (ecigexpress), so Iā€™m thrilled about that!

Iā€™m not going into the whole syringe vs scale vs pipette debateā€¦ :laughing:

Thereā€™s also other bottle places to check like GBO (glass bottle outlet) and Freundā€¦ But most tend to get them while ordering flavors (for convenience, as well as trying to hit the free shipping quotas).

Hope this helps!

5 Likes

This deserved itā€™s own reply

Congrats, and well done!! :tada:

6 Likes

I second sprks, congrats on being off the stinkys for 2years :tada:

Iā€™ll just say thisā€¦ Scales are much easier to use.

7 Likes

i was thinking the same i figure its easier to go by weight and thanks for the help everyone im digging my teeth in now. i know that most of my vape gear (wire, wick, rda, tanks) all seem to prefer 30/70 e liquid and i know i prefer it as well

6 Likes

I have to add Heartlandvapes.com to the supplier list. It seems to be quite under the radar to most folks, but Iā€™ve used them a lot and never had a single issue. Free shipping over $50, good prices, and they run big sales occasionally. Not that the other places arenā€™t good, just wanted to mention that one too for your radar.

I have learned a lot about mixing from day one to now. While I am by no means an expert, Iā€™ve learned a lot of hard lessons that could have been avoided.

Some of the bigger lessons:

• Donā€™t buy a ton of flavors when you start out. This thread by MrPipes is a good one , because less complexity in the beginning is a GOOD thing. I bought way too many flavors when I started out, and it got real frustrating real fast. Which led to waste and bruised dogs.

• Donā€™t attempt a ā€˜complexā€™ or your own made up recipe until you are used to the whole mixing process and get a few decent simple recipes you are confident with., and understand how things properly work together.

• Donā€™t throw out your vendor juices (or at least, be sure to have some vendor juice handy). If you start out slow like you should, you wonā€™t have much variety with your DIY juice so itā€™s good to have comfortable juice on hand. If all you have to vape are your failures and maybe one good one, it gets irritating quick. Plus thereā€™s also steep time to consider.

• Donā€™t buy 100 bottles, gallons of VG and PG, and a barrel of nic. Feeds into that whole ā€˜start slowā€™ mantra.

• As this thread implies, find a few simple recipes that are easily mixable and fit your profile.

• And above all else, research and ask thoroughly. I did not avail myself to the resources the web had to offer when I started. I just took a few recipes, loaded up a damned shopping cart with tons of flavors and a swimming pool of VG and PG, and went for it like I knew what I was doing. Sadness followed.

I am not in any way the encyclopedia of mixing. Other will surely offer more great suggestions. If you want a split off thread of your own, @Grubby will happily oblige.

Happy mixing!!

6 Likes

I waiting for $482 profit invoice to finalize before i pickup everything thing Im planning on ordering.
(I build custom PCā€™s)

5 Likes