Horrible Hardware

All it needs is a flashing “12:00 AM” and you have an old school VCR right there.

8 Likes

Just had a close encounter with the Smok X-Priv … Jo woke me up at 6am saying she could smell burning plastic, I thought it might be coming from outside until my nose got near this thing, could barely touch the mod it was that hot, ran to the bathroom with it and flicked the batts out, brand new VTC5a’s…and the mod hasnt been touched for 2 days…just been sat there on a glass shelf…
Smok spontaneous combustion, im just glad it happened while i was in the house…to be fair I never or rarely leave batteries in anything for very long but…fucking Smok :angry:

5 Likes

Fuck man lucky you were home that totally sucks

7 Likes

Crazy close call bro. Glad things worked out as well as they did!

6 Likes

That is just scary. I swore off of Smok awhile ago. I don’t care if they come out with something awesome and revolutionary… this just reconfirms that I will never buy their shit. Glad to hear you are all safe and it didn’t escalate into something worse. Sorry meant to reply to @Steampugs

6 Likes

i actually believed that this mod was a massive step up for them, i was super impressed with it, i even took it to Turkey with me, can you imagine if this happened on the plane??..I dont even know who sent it me, it was in a plain jiffy bag with no paperwork and seeing as I know full well there is simply no point in emailing Smok as I have never had a reply from them ever…i have no one to complain to lol…im just very thankful i was 2 feet away from it…

6 Likes

Addendum to the review mate seriously shit like this needs to be spread far and wide.

8 Likes

I havent reviewed it yet, wasnt sure I was gonna, think i might now though

8 Likes

That’s bullshit!! Imagine if you wasn’t there! Thankfully you caught it in time. Scary stuff!! I agree with @woftam spread the word my dude! Also I would still try to contact them and when they don’t respond, I would put that in the review too!

5 Likes

i agree, im gonna try and clean that battery up and just to check its not a faulty battery…it shouldn’t be, but before I start pointing fingers i want to make sure i know whats what, the thing that i dont understand is…this device was on, so where were all the apparent safety protocols?..which makes me suspicious about the battery, but the battery did cool down as soon as i took it out so…that tells me its a short…i dont know, need to dig a bit deeper…

5 Likes

Yeah, good point! I would like to know what the hell happened also. Thanks for sharing and keep us posted brother!!

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s supposed to work like that, Pugs. I’d say that qualifies as Horrible Hardware for sure.

6 Likes

Yet another example of 'Up in Smok". There have been a ton of these over the past year. I guess it could be the battery but the probability is very low imho. In as much as this should be made public far and wide, I doubt the result will be what one might expect. I’ve seen examples of this blamed on the battery by popular consensus many times on ELR and other sites. Not to say none of those episodes were the fault of the battery but the comments were all knee jerk “bad battery”. I definitely would not send it back to Smok for evaluation. Send it to @Sprkslfly for a post-mortem.

6 Likes

If you had a nicked wrap or something, it could have been cell related. If it wasn’t a Smok, anyway. My daughter has had good luck with her T-Priv, but that’s hardly a decent sample size. And she did move on to one of my old Laisimo L1’s a while ago (because she could get a picture on the display) so it’s been shelved for a while now.

2 Likes

:thinking:
I’d trust my gut here.

I’m not saying Sony is infallible, but to me, you’ve already “solved it”. If the battery cooled down once removed from the circuit, then the battery wasn’t defective. It was reacting to the environment (circuit) it was in.

I would think that if the battery was the cause, that it would be due to a chemical imbalance internally, or damage to the body (especially around the top, where the positive cap and ground of the outside cylinder walls have the closest chance of meeting).

If there’s a chemical imbalance, then simply removing the battery isn’t going to change the state of the event. It would have continued “melting down” once removed.

If you can’t find any evidence of physical deformation to the battery (dents, or arcing burns where a sliver of metal might have gotten wedged between the positive and negative points on the battery cap), then it’s 99.99% likely to be induced by the mod itself going into a perma-fire, or a dead short situation IMO.

5 Likes

Excellent point and great observation.

5 Likes

Well that’s my thinking Sparks, if the battery was in thermal runaway nothing I could of done would of prevented it, so my gut instinct is a catastrophic internal short, the whole mod was red hot when I picked it up. It’s too difficult to see if there was a nick in the wrap etc because the heat has split the wraps on both batteries in quite a few places, but these were relatively new bats, been charged 4 or 5 times tops and only been used in this mod, prob had them a month, plus…the mod was on and hadn’t had any human contact for 2 days, it’s been sat in the same place untouched, and whatever happened internally happened quickly, the smell got incredibly strong within 5 minutes so this had happened 10 minutes at the most before Jo woke me up to tell me she could smell something…if the bat was defective due to a split in the wrap etc…it would of started 2 days ago…this was absolutely down to the mod, the more I think about it the more I’m convinced.
The screen wasn’t on by the way and the RDA def wasn’t being fired

5 Likes

More Horrible Hardware. This is the Smok Skyhook. Its called an RDTA box. Its basically an RDA build deck with holes that dip down into a 9ml tank which is a part of the box mod. Not sure if they stole the concept from the Ijoy RDTA Box or vice versa or they both stole it from someone else.

The Ijoy also had it’s problems but were easily corrected. This piece of crap was destined for shitdom. The plastic tanks were notorious for leaking and the boards for shorting or otherwise stopped working.

I’m not sure if the leaking eventually led to the electrical issues or if they were independent. I read by some users that contacted Smok, that the Smok customer service reps actually told them to watch the You Tube video hack repairs to fix their own mods. Great way to treat customers that shelled out $100 or thereabouts for your product.

I tried the fix. sealing the entire upper assembly and tank with silicone, but it still leaked. It really wasn’t worth any more effort since I have an Ijoy RDTA box that works really well and that I still use sometimes.

The last Smok product I bought or ever will buy.

8 Likes

yeah and to think everyone was looking forward to that being released, and then it just bombed…no one ever talks about it now

5 Likes

Gotta toss in the Kanger 160 Squonk box or whatever it’s called. It does not have a spring loaded 510. I had to push my luck and try another atty. Not good. Drove the center pin down and got nothing but atty errors. Took it apart to find that the center of the 510 is mounted in Silicone or some such goo. Physically pushed the center pin back up and got it working with the provided atty for the kit. Doubt it will work long. Pretty flaky Achilles heal for an otherwise solid mod.

7 Likes