Horrible Hardware

I was very disappointed with the Wismec RX300. Wanky-ass 510. Converting it to Arctic Fox helped stabilize it but it still doinks out and reverts to 20w power mode a couple times a day. I was really looking forward to this one, too. The Ijoy Limitless Plus was severely disappointing compared to the raves it got which prompted me to get it. Meh. While I liked the performance back then of the Zephryus v1, it leaked like a Chevrolet.

The iPV5. Mine was great and never gave me a moment’s trouble, but the wife saw 4 of them die on her for no reason.

There will probably be more entries as I remember them. But, at least I can say I’ve liked 90% of the gear I’ve owned.

5 Likes

That’s a flaw in the chipset, in my opinion, and from my limited experience. (Which may be a premature judgement mind you, but I frequently see that complaint associated with the mods on the list that are noted as being ArcticFox compatible. So I strongly believe that there’s a correlation).

It’s something I’d like to confirm first hand, but that’s going to take time, and donations (I’ve been hitting up local shops too in hopes of developing some donation points, but everyone is fearful of repercussions of course sadly)

4 Likes

It did it about 10x more before I converted, along with other such messages like Atomizer Short and No Atomizer. I know not where the fault lies, but I do know it makes you want to throw it very far. Regardless, there are just too many mods out there to abide such issues. I really wanted to like it too.

5 Likes

That’s what I was trying to say in a round about way, if you want to avoid the “dropping out of TC” issue, you can probably start by avoiding anything that’s on the AF APPROVED list. :wink:
(Again, I could be wrong, but I have used at least 3 on the list, and they all had that issue. Though yes, AF definitely improved the frequency of the occurrence, it could not stop it.)

5 Likes

I guess I should add the Tesla Punk 220w to the list. I like it, the steampunk look and the flashing lights are cool, but the battery door is fatally flawed. At the most important point (the tab where the door hitches up against the mod) it is made of plastic and very quickly wore out and made the door cover unstable. Without that flaw it would be a great mod, but a little heavy for its’ size. But that’s a fatal flaw.

5 Likes

Awww, I was sooo in love with the looks of that mod :frowning_face:

3 Likes

If I could do it over, I would now know to be careful when you replace the cover. I think anyway that if you know ahead of time about that weakness, you could use great care and if nothing else at least extend the life by a lot. I fudgered around with it a little too clumsily, forcing it when I should have finessed it, before I realized the plastic was deforming. If you find a good deal on one I’d still say go for it. Slick mod aesthetically anyway.

4 Likes

Out of pity and nostalgia I just got out the Punk again. The battery door is damaged but not as bad as I remember. Still a bad design though. What I remember best now, is the thing is heavy AF. Geez it has mass.

3 Likes

Best way I can describe it would be compromised but serviceable. Hey, that’s me.

4 Likes

Ok, it’s official. Add the brand new Pico S to the list (of mods that are shit in TC).

Just received my winnings in the mail today, and didn’t take long to see that they (Eleaf) still continue to fail to do TC in any sort of reasonably useful fashion. =(

Same ol’ same ol’ with this joker: Dial it in (known preferences that work on mods that do TC right; DNA and Smoant for instance), and wait 2 seconds for the “Temperature Protection” message to flash it’s ugly head. /sigh

THIS is why I’m super grateful for giveaways!
Saves being as pissed off, had I actually spent money (since you can’t try mods in stores near me). Though it still pisses me off that the MAJOR MANUFACTURERS *still can’t fucking get TC to work, reliably, accurately, and with longevity. :rage:

Another mod for the PIF box.

8 Likes

That is a shame. Form and fit of the Pico line have always been great imho. Of course you hit the nail on the head. TC is just not their forte’. I still have the original stainless model and still use it from time to time. In VW only of course.

3 Likes

Hard to say. If I remember correctly, I had one build that did work well on the Pico. I believe it was a 2x28+36 parallel ss clapton. That would have had a similar resistance to what you are using. Other builds would jump out of TC and back to VW. As you say the one that worked was not “great” TC but it was “stable” TC. I doubt the problem was with the 510 because the mod always stayed stable in regard to measuring resistance. I can only guess it may be to do with the firmware code. Other manufacturers are putting out mods that are doing a much better job in TC. Smoant, Vaporesso, and Aspire are three that are real contenders.

2 Likes

After feeling guilty for running the Punk into the ground yesterday, I’ve decided that it really shouldn’t be on the worst list. The battery door like I said is less stout than when new, but it actually works fine. It looks cool and vapes fine, and the steampunk look and LED’s reminds me of Halloween. So now I feel bad for the thing for calling it horrible. In fact, the iPV8 is in the drawer for a while while I use this heavy little fellow again.

2 Likes

Do you think the mini Punk would have the same flaw? I like that one even better than the big one.

Damn, I still have one of those too. I’ve never used it :blush:

1 Like

Dang, just saw @Sprkslfly and @SmilingOgre talking about the Pico S which I do have for review. Just tried TC for the first time today with a dual parallel spaced build in the Aqua Reboot @Jim22 practically forced me to buy with his strong arm tactics…pft, can’t seem to put that tank down since I got it. Put it on the Pico S and the ramp up was slow but seemed passable in TC. Put it down and came back to it and hmmmm, ramp up is crazy slow, look at the mod and I am in power mode at 20W…damn. Put it back in SS TC and reattached the tank once it was cold to get another reading and yep, after a few puffs kicked me back down to 20W power mode. Didn’t have that problem with the Pico 21700 mod I reviewed a little while back, was not great in TC but at least it didn’t kick me out of TC consistently, happened with that mod maybe once.

Gonna test the TC more but first impressions are not great.

3 Likes

The iPV8 is great, you should use it!

I don;t know how the battery door is in the little one, but imagine it is the same.

1 Like

Better results with a dual coil 26g spaced build in the Augvape Templar RDA, it hasn’t kicked me out of TC yet but does pulse when it begins to run dry.

1 Like

The only thing I can guess is a change in chipsets, and/or firmware code (as Ogre mentioned).

There’s also a few viewpoints in play here (possibly, likely, largely my own).

If a mod is at/near the same retail price point, then it comes down to features IMO. (Quality and performance are always in close contention, and is paramount in my list of requirements). So I typically allow up to about a $15-$20 gap between ‘categories’ of mod. Given the Pico S and Smoant Cylon both fall into the $40-$60 bracket, I consider them as valid comparisons (value wise). Even though most Smoant products seem to be the exception to the norm (like Tony B and Vandy Vape trying to bring quality in at reasonable prices)… In my mind, “the norm” just got kicked in the nuts and doesn’t matter anymore. Like when Evolv came out with DNA, and YiHi with their advances: a new standard was set, and the bar was raised.

To me, if it doesn’t work at least as easily as TC does in the Vaptio N1 Pro (which is almost twice as slow as the Cylon to fire, and does TC considerably differently) or the Cylon, both of which are simply:
Set your max wattage (that you want available).
Set your temp.
Push the fire button.

Vs. the Pico S, which is the years old (and annoying “game”) of the average user going:
Set wattage you expect to be needed
Set temp you expect
Fire.
. Fail with temp protect
Adjust power
Fire.
. Even worse.
Readjust power the other way.
Fire.
. Closer, but now temp’s off.
Adjust temp.
Fire.
. Still not right
Adjust power.
Fire.

I’ll stop there. You get the idea.
To me, while part of that process is that of learning (on the part of a user), when an advanced person still has to monkey around like that, when I can go straight to a DNA, or Smoant, or the Vaptio N1 and dial things in on the first try (or even a second)…
To me, that makes all other outdated methods like the process illustrated immediately above, whether it be chipset limitation (usually the case), or firmware limitations, as inferior devices. Dramatically so in some cases (like mjag’s example of kicking out of TC mode completely).

It’s more that the hoops and hurdles to -get to- the potential of a usable TC are ridiculous to expect from a user with where we’re at. The klunkyness of 2014 should BE dead and buried by now.

I will give it some more time, but honestly, from the time I’ve spent with it, combined with what I’ve seen in the past (while playing this particular version of the “temp protect game”), I’d be surprised if my opinion changes, though because of your sharing your experience, I’ll genuinely try and give it as open a look as I can muster.

3 Likes

Shame, I was tempted to buy one but I’m waiting for the price to drop and bought the Smoant Cylon instead :smiley:

I have the Tesla Nano but I haven’t used that one either, yet. Too much gear, too little time :roll_eyes:
They look awesome though :star_struck:

5 Likes

Too much gear? Blasphemy! There is no such thing! Ok maybe I do have a lot but too much? :thinking:

6 Likes