Homogenizing Equipment Used for E-liquid Making

My local lab supplier came back with a price exceeding $1K for the homogenizer, which is what I expected.
I’ve have ordered a Magnetic Stirrer to see how that works as a comparison.

1 Like

I just wanna say that this thread is incredible! Lots of threads could be considered food for thought, but this one is an all you can eat buffet lol I’ve read it once all the way through and will need to read it 2 more times to truly have a grasp of the concepts you are all trying to tackle. You people are doing the lords work lol

3 Likes

With your method of mixing everything but the nic together and adding the nic later, how is the nic variable handled? I vape both 3mg and 6mg, so would I have to have two batches one for the 3mg and one for the 6mg?
I know the variance is really quite small, but just wondering.

1 Like

The way I mix now, I use 3mg nic in 100% vg, add flavors and plain pg if i want it 70/30 or whatever. I add flavors first, then pg if any, then vg, seal it up and shake the hell out of it and stick it in my vape cabinet for at least 24hrs, gonna read this thread again and figure out what I can change as I can’t afford most of this stuff lol

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong, but as I read your post, it seems like you add 3mg nic only to the VG. When you add the other 30% of your mix does that also have nic in it. Otherwise it sounds like you are going to end up with 30% less nic than you might intend.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I figured. The difference is so minimal so as to not even be noticeable I reckon.

2 Likes

Can i use this thread for my high school science project?

2 Likes

rofl, Ya sure. Tell em Ogre sent ya.

4 Likes

I don’t add 3mg nic to vg, my vg is 3mg nic and I use that as the only vg in my recipe. I am not too picky about my nic being 3mg vs 2.6mg or whatever, and mixing with 3mg nic in vg makes mixing simpler for me, as it removes a step, and I don’t have to worry about high potency nic and my stupid German Shepard that likes to eat everything, the other day he puked up a latex glove and I literally thought thank god that doesn’t have 100mg nic on it lol

5 Likes

I will probably end up trying to repurpose some of the random stuff I have laying around the house lol that’s why I gotta re-read the thread again, it’s easier to rig something up if you fully understand the goal you are trying to achieve

3 Likes

Aaaaah, got it :grin:

1 Like

Out of curiosity, why do the majority of mixers add nic when mixing? To me it puts a usability time table on the liquid before it begins to oxidize. Not stabbing anyone here just curious.

5 Likes

I have done it that way for simplicity, and my steep cabinet has a/c flow through it so I don’t really notice any degradation, but I also never have a mix that’s older than 3 months. I have a system where I have enough custard steeping that when I run out of the bottle I’m vaping then the next one is a month old, and then I make new juice for the empty bottle and the cycle starts over lol. I mostly vape custard, and the fruity stuff I vape i only make a week or two worth at a time.

6 Likes

To me, that’s why the actual methodology comes into play, and is critical. I’ve never experienced any kind of nic oxidation when using my preferred method:

No breathing (in the normal “accepted” sense), no frothing, no cap off for hours etc… But, bear in mind, my liquids don’t usually make it past the two or three month mark. Maybe three or four times in the past two years have I “found” a stray bottle that made it to the 6 month mark, and while those didn’t have issue, A. It’s not enough to be anything more than anecdotal, B. They were stored indoors, at <70°F. So while I acknowledge it’s possible things could change, I haven’t had such an experience yet (and I believe it’s due to the way I mix. YMMV. :wink:

3 Likes

Would you also do titration tests at various stages of the homogenizing/ mixing and or steeping? Aside from any taste differences or possible discoloration, the actual nic strength would be most critical to me.

3 Likes

I have been steeping without nic and noticed a huge difference in colour change, before it would go a very dark golden colour and now it stays pretty much the same

2 Likes

All interesting stuff. I have been down to 1% nicotine for quite awhile now, so I suspect any results I see would be far diminished compared to heavier users. I have seen color change in steeping without nicotine, so at least is some circumstances it has to be attributed to flavorings having chemical reactions with each other or just from aging. But my observations are just anecdotal and not done under any controls.

3 Likes

Same here! :thumbsup:

:flushed: Thankfully I’ve never had that happen.

2 Likes

Yep exactly. I have some old mixes that are colorless and others that are dark. It would be interesting to see a blind taste test with a large group, using the same recipes but different mixing and steeping methods.

2 Likes

One of the other aspects of this that fascinates me, is that with the addition of heat, there may be some level of pasteurization. I always wondered about ejuice and whether any of the components were antibacterial/ antiviral/ anti fungal in nature?

We haven’t heard of any types of infectious spread of anything due to ejuice being contaminated that I know of.

1 Like